5.0 out of 5 stars Six Stars
I have read this book five times and seen the film at least as many, but I never grow tired of it. It is a unique and brilliant work. You start of by thinking that you are reading a genre detective story - hard nosed private eye hired to find missing pop singer etc etc. The book gradually opens out into something much, much bigger, until you realise that what we are...
Published on 21 Oct 2004 by M. Asher

3.0 out of 5 stars Satanism, New York, graphic content
This book belongs to the genre "Satanists in New York" - Seventh Victim, Rosemary's Baby. It was written in 1978, and set in 1958, which makes it read a little oddly at times. We're so solidly in the 1958 city (I'm sure the author researched cafes, bars, restaurants, shops, streets, seedy businesses like Olga's Electrolysis). But the sex and violence are from 1978 - no...
Published on 12 July 2011 by L. R. Fisher

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 29 Aug 2013
This review is from: Falling Angel (Paperback)
If you like the film 'Angel Heart' then you will like the book. Took me a while to source this at a reasonable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunningly beautiful language, 21 Aug 2013
This review is from: Falling Angel (Paperback)
I tried to get hold of this book when I first saw `Angel Heart', still the best film I have ever seen, but failed to find it. What a joy to discover it is now available for Kindle.
Like many of the previous reviewers I thought it might be spoilt for me because I already knew what happened at the end. Not so. The language is stunningly beautiful.
How's this for an opening sentence? `It was Friday the thirteenth and yesterday's snowstorm lingered in the streets like a leftover curse.'
Or this for a description? `It was easy to imagine those pampered hands gripping a whip. Nero must have had such hands. And Jack the Ripper. It was the hand of emperors and assassins. Languid, yet lethal the cruel, tapered fingers perfect instruments of evil.'

And as for my foreknowledge of the plot, the book is sufficiently different from the film for there to be surprises. And I actually found myself unable to put the book down as I approached the end. I knew - I KNEW what would happen and I still couldn't put it down.

I believe this book to be a classic, one of the very best I have ever read. I am now buying William Hjortsberg's other works and fearing there will not be enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, great film, 14 Aug 2013
One of the all time great films, the book on which it is based is well worth reading. Well written, compelling narrative, I couldn't get the 'frame by frame' similarities with the movie out of my mind, but enjoyed following the compelling storyline down to its chilling denouement.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking read ..., 25 Jan 2013
Well, what a cracking good read that was .... at first i struggled with the lingo & obviously didn't recognise the places but after a few chapters the jargon & the landscapes slotted into place and the mounting tension & whole advancing seediness overtook me ... there's a darkness lurking behind the lines & it seeps out of every page. I never write reviews detailing what books are about .. What's the point ?? Thats what the covers do so its a waste of time repeating tag lines... But even i'm restricted in this review as the slightest chink of story will give the game away ....I feel like a Schmuck about the title !! But the last few chapters were simply brilliant ... Along with Mystic River by one of my all time favourite's Dennis Lehane, i haven't seen Angel Heart & now that i have completed this book i'm off to order them both from Amazon & see how they match up ... especially this one ... Fantastic read that took me less than 24 hours as i just couldn't put it down ...

2.0 out of 5 stars with excellent details of New York locations, 26 July 2014
This review is from: Falling Angel (Paperback)
Wanted it because of the film. Intriguing, with excellent details of New York locations, and well enough written, but ultimately too way-out, with finale a bit lame, and disappointing.(Film made better job !!)

2.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read out of interest in comparing to film, 4 Oct 2010
P. G. Foxe "Gan Ainm" (London) - See all my reviews
I hunted down this book(its hard to find!) having watched the terrific Alan Parker film 'Angel Heart with Mickey Rourke and the scenery chewing Robert de Niro. Great film but it is so faithfully based on the book that no new insights are revealed and Rourke's seedy private dick emotes so successfully that the is well worth the money and conveys the desperate queasiness of this quest that it is head and shoulders above the book. It's still a good read though!

1.0 out of 5 stars This is book is complete American crap, 29 May 2013
This review is from: Falling Angel (Paperback)
Alan Parker made a great film, Angel Heart, from this book (apart from the final 20 minutes), but the book could have been written by a seven-year-old. With obvious, and great exceptions, a lot of Americans can neither speak nor write English. Good example here.

Falling Angel
Falling Angel by William Hjortsberg (Paperback - 4 Sep 2012)