5.0 out of 5 stars Like a good cupcake, warm and sweet but not too sugary
How many of us sit in our offices dreaming of running our own little shop, whether it be a book shop, bakery, coffee shop or even a B&B.

This book allows us to escape and vicariously live this dream through Issy, a woman who was taught to bake by her Grandfather and has baked as a hobby all her life. Even though it is a story where you would expect the main...
Published on 21 April 2011 by Mark Ridley

2.0 out of 5 stars Good escapism but completely lacking in realism
I'm not the biggest fan of chick-lit but every now and again, when life is stressful, I crave something light and fluffy to read and chick lit is usually what I turn to. In this offering by Jenny Colgan, Issy is a thirty something working in admin for a real-estate agency who loves to bake the recipes passed on by her baker grandfather. When she is made redundant from...
Published on 30 Sep 2012 by Sam

‹ Previous | 1 2 318 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars wanted to get baking!, 19 Jan 2013
I enjoyed this book but wished I'd had the paperback version instead of Kindle. The reason? All the lovely recipes at the start of each chapter. I would have had easier access to them and started baking!! Nice characters and easy reading. Are there really such nice people about and small pockets of urban living?

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 29 May 2011
This was a really fabulous book. It was such an easy, light read, perfect for a holiday book. I read it within two sittings because I just couldn't put it down and, although I could really predict what was going to happen, I still wanted everything to work out at the end and I just had to find out. A really enjoyable read. Haven't tried any of the cupcake recipes yet but I shall because they sound divine too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and full of inspiration, 7 May 2011
D. H (Yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews
I loved this book, an easy read, with issues most of us can relate to living through at some stage in our lives. I fully recommend reading it.

2.0 out of 5 stars not for me, 2 Oct 2012
I really looked forward to reading this after so many rave reviews; sadly I just couldn't get into it. I found the writing style too slow and lack lustre - sorry, it just wasn't for me. Note to self: download an excerpt before purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't read if you're on a diet, 27 May 2013
A good read. Set in a believable part of London with a heroine who discovers a way to turn her talent into a viable business. I found the grandfather character a bit of a stretch to believe - he seemed like someone from a much earlier period then his age would suggest and the recipe conceipt not entirely believeable either. Nevertheless, highly recommended and satisfying read.

Made me go and bake cupcakes with my son, so a result all on its own!

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a treat!, 16 May 2012
E. Siney "Emzy" (West Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
I always enjoy a good Jenny Colgan book and was very excited to read this one as it involved two of my favourite things...reading and baking! I was routing for the main character throughout the book because I really wanted her to succeed at her dream.

I will admit this wasn't the best of the Jenny Colgan books I have read, but it was still worth the read and I still enjoyed it. I especially liked the recipes slipped in before some chapters!

5.0 out of 5 stars One word for this book - WOW!!!, 18 May 2011
Ms. Abbie Summers (scotland) - See all my reviews
WOW!!! I absolutely loved this novel, it hooked me in from the first page and kept me reading through to the end. The main character, Issy, is very passionate about her baking and after being made redundant realises her dream of opening her own cafe...she falls in love with the man of her dreams and is surrounded by amazing frineds...gives you a warm fuzzy feeling!

Jenny Colgan includes a recipe at the end for vanilla cupcakes with vanilla butter icing and it inspired me to make these cupcakes for me and my family...they are ABSOLUTELY HEAVENLY!! 10/10 for this novel!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Story, 19 Sep 2012
An easy read. I enjoyed it immensely. Pure escapism into a world of fancy cakes, pretty icing and romance.

The story is full of endearing characters and heart-warming moments.

JC protrays a very rosy picture of starting a business which makes it a little twee at times but the focus on good luck and everything falling neatly into place seems to be the essence of the book.

The plot is fairly predictable but overall it is most definitely a very easily readable feel-good story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gemma, 1 Sep 2012
Brilliant!!!! I want to own my own cupcake cafe, I want to bake lots of lovely things. This book was great. I love the character of Issy and her Grandpa Joe. This book took me back to my childhood and remined me of my wonderful grandparents when they were alive.

I am looking forward to reading the Christmas book that follows on from this, Im just hoping that it will be 5 star as well.

Just to say it is very predictiable and on reading other peoples reviews maybe 1 or 2 errors, but I didn't care about this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - A real feel good read, 4 July 2012
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I am almost disgusted with myself for having never read a Jenny Colgan book. I have always seen her books around but don't ask me why, have never managed to pick one up. Thankfully, I finally got around to buying this book which was released in 2011 with its very enticing cover. I started reading and immediately loved the main character Issy. Issy's Grandpa Joe ran bakery's his whole life and has passed his love of baking on to Issy.

Very early on we meet Issy's pathetic excuse for a boyfriend Graeme (who I despised from start to finish) along with some other characters that feature in the book. When Issy is made redundant from her City job she takes the plunge and sets about opening her own type of Bakery called The Cupcake Café.

Jenny Colgan has done a grand job of making the readers feel for Issy. We see her struggle with lost of things at once and try to manage starting a new business, her love life, the care of her Gramps as well as having some sort of social life. What made this book a little bit different is that at the start of various chapters (I cannot recall if it was every one) we see Issy's recipes for her famous Cupcakes. There is something refreshingly different about that approach, and some of the descriptions that go with the recipes had me chuckling.

I read three quarters of this book in one day, I read in the morning, my lunch break, my commute and even when I was washing up! I then eagerly picked it up the following morning and finished it. The story is a lovely read and you feel like you are taking the journey with Issy and you can't help but will her success on. I loved the characters, including the feisty Pearly and difficult Caroline both who work with Issy. I also loved Issy's flatmate Helena who has a very brisk attitude. You also see other local characters come in and they all add their own flavour to the story.

I was really excited to see that Jenny Colgan has a follow up to this book due out October 2012. I think a follow up would be brilliant, especially as the end of this one is extremely open-ended with many possibilities for the characters. Overall this was a book that I loved in every way, and it especially cheered me up as I am in the middle of my own very precarious start of a new business. This book was a real `feel-good' read and I loved every bit of it. Highly recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 318 | Next ›

Meet Me at the Cupcake Cafe: A Novel with Recipes
Meet Me at the Cupcake Cafe: A Novel with Recipes by Jenny Colgan (MP3 CD - 18 Nov 2013)