5.0 out of 5 stars The sanest approach to depression that I've come across
Reading this book was a breath of fresh air. It isn't merely Ilardi's rejection of a drug-based approach to treating depression; such rejections are two-a-penny in the 'alternative therapy' field. No, what sets this book apart is that it is balanced, well-researched, undogmatic and rooted in the careful use of scientific evidence.

The core hypothesis is simple...
Published on 7 Aug 2010 by J. Goddard

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic, common sense information offered.
I read this book because I do not believe in taking medication to treat depression.The medication is a coping strategy which in my opinion could have long term negative consequences more so than positive ones.From personal experience I know that one cannot fix the cause of depression by taking a pill.These might or might not stabilise a person's moods but it won't fix...
Published 19 months ago by L. Mateus

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The sanest approach to depression that I've come across, 7 Aug 2010
J. Goddard "Jim Goddard" (Shipley) - See all my reviews

The core hypothesis is simple. Depression rates are rising because we are increasingly living a lifestyle that takes us further and further away from how our ancient hunter-gatherer ancestors lived. Our bodies and minds are, in evolutionary terms, essentially the same as they were 13,000 years ago. In order to cure our depression we need to compensate for the fact that we no longer - and cannot any longer - live as they did. We can, however, do a number of things that learn from that earlier existence (and from how some people with very low depression rates still live). Ilardi focusses on six areas we can change: 1) improved diet (he focusses on Omega 3 supplements), 2) exercise, 3) more sunlight, 4) better sleep, 5) stopping ruminating, 6) spending time with other people.

He's clearly pushing what he believes is a radically improved way of dealing with depression, but much of what he says makes a lot of sense whether you are suffering from depression or not. He also does the proper medical thing of looking at evidence from clinical trials and from a range of different sources. The language and discussion can be a little simplistic and folksy in places, but that's a small price to pay for what is an excellent treatment of a controversial subject. In my case, I could see elements where I'd have to modify to a small degree some of what he recommends (solitude isn't always a bad thing). However, I've read a fair amount on this subject in recent years but nothing as comprehensive, positive, life-affirming and useful as this. I hope more people read and use this book. It has enormous potential to help sufferers from various levels of depression.

5.0 out of 5 stars for the first time in 20 years I have a book in my hand that genuinely helps, 9 Dec 2010
I would like to say first of all that the authors description of what depression actually is and what it is like to be a genuine sufferer is by far and a way the best I have ever read. I actually felt for the first time ever that somebody had put into words exactly what my life has been like for over twenty years. That alone is worth buying the book for, just to hear it so well explained. I have to congratulate him and thank him for that.
I will be giving it to close friends and family who have struggled over the years to understand, as I feel they will gain much insight from just a few pages.

I had through my own searching and desire for help and relief come across much of what the book contains, however i had not fully understood or appreciated the far reaching impact or relief possible by combining the several elements explained in the book over a period of time.

Everything is explained well and in plain english, giving clinical trail evidence and support for its inclusion. this is not padded Opera fluff. this is evidence based clinically trailed and proven techniques, supplements and devices, combined to provide what I believe to be the best opportunity for lasting relief from clinical depression.

I have read so many books on this subject, none has so sparked my interest or desire to apply the counsel given. This book actually makes you want to take action.

I have suffered with a life threatening debilitating soul destroying condition for most of my adult life. almost nobody has even noticed.

so many people out there I now know, feel the exact same way. I have tried my very best to over come this beast many times, this time I genuinely feel I may have been handed a tool thats up to the Job.

I hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb book, full of practical advice on overcoming depression, 13 Oct 2011
H. Nye "han3617" (UK) - See all my reviews
What a fantastic book - and a whole new way of tackling depression! I can honestly say it has changed my life.

Until I bought this, all the books I'd seen or read on depression seemed to focus on trying to tackle the problem by cognitive means, whereas this book is full of purely physical / practical advice. Whilst I agree that changing how you view or think about problems and situations can make a huge difference to your depression (eg as in Flip It by Michael Heppell - another excellent book), The Depression Cure explains why modern lifestyles can predispose us to depression, and gives simple, step-by-step physical ways to overcome this.

This book has helped me enormously, and I would recommend it to anyone. In fact I told my CBT therapist about it around a month ago - and at my latest (and final!) visit, he thanked me very much and said that he had gone on to recommend it to quite a few of his patients - all of whom had reported back to him that it had made a huge difference to their lives too!

Very, very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Each step makes total sense, 1 Jan 2011
I've had a major bout of depression in the last twelve months, and my therapist gave me this book - even though I've well on the way to recovery.
Having read 'Depression: Curse of the Strong' (well - parts of it) I can say this book has struck a massive chord with me. It's the only book I've read ALL the way through - normally I get bored and only get halfway. I think this is due to a few factors:

Each step of the 6 step programme has its own chapter; and each is equally important and dealt with in detail. There is a question and answer part at the end of each chapter which helps to troubleshoot any problems you might encounter when putting each part into practice.

The book is easily readable and very accessible. Not too much medical jargon - although the author does explain the ins and outs of the body's stress response system and how the brain functions (or doesn't!). I don't need to read another chapter explaining what has brought me to this point - it focusses more on what I can do to help myself.

The steps are easy to put into practice. You don't have to go for a ten mile hike every day. His arguments are convincing - especially concerning the body's circadian rhythm. The exercises on rumination are really useful and I think are a tool you could easily adapt and use if you wanted. You don't have to pay through the nose to join a gym, or buy expensive equipment. And at the back of the book there's a practical appendix with steps you take each week you start the programme.

The most accessible book I've read on the subject, and one I'm thoroughly recommending to all friends and family. I've already put certain parts into practice and I think it's really making a difference. The chapter on sleep is very interesting - other books don't dedicate as much detail on getting your sleep routine right, so for me this is a major selling point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant help for depressed people, 3 Feb 2011
If you suffer from depression and want a simple, effective and well researched way to help lift your depression, then I would highly recommend this book to you.

My situation is as follows: I have suffered from depression for over 10 years. Part of the reason I have suffered for so long is that until fairly recently I didn't realise my problem was depression, and the other reason is that I hadn't found very effective help for depression. Once I realised I had depression, I tried to help myself by going on anti-depressants and doing other things like exercise which I had heard were good for depression. Those things helped a bit, but I was still essentially depressed. After having found this book and used it's principles for about 6 months, I am not completely depression free, but I am off anti-depressants and feel good enough to not feel the need to go back on anti-depressants. I also feel confident that I will continue to improve.

One thing to note, although this book is sightly anti-drugs, I used the principles while still on anti-depressants, and it is perfectly complementary. I found I felt much better while taking drugs AND using the book's advice, and then reached a point where I felt I could cope without the drugs, and so far so good. I would disagree with the book in that anti-depressants are basically useless for moderately depressed people, but I would agree that they are useless for a permanent long term cure for any depressed person (but that's just my own experience).

That said this book is very well written and very effective. It is well written in that is sympathetic, positive and inspiring, and easy to read. I can say that it is effective for 5 reasons:

1) I have used it and I have felt the results.

2) Each of the 6 aspects of the depression cure are based on extensive research about what really improves depression. This is no pet theory book.

3) Each action to help depression has been tailored for the depressed person: they are easy to understand and easy to put in place in your life. It is something that is so often overlooked in books to help depression - depressed people just find it harder to do everything, so if there is a complicated and difficult action to help depression, chances are it won't be done.

4) The fact that the actions are based on thorough research means you are more confident that they will work, and therefore put more effort into adopting them.

5) The book covers several different types of actions to help depression. Other depression books tend to focus just on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, or just on your diet, or just on whatever. For each individual the effectiveness of each action is probably very different, but by doing all 6 bases you've got the best chance that you're doing the things which will help YOU.

Anyway I've rambled on enough!

In summary: give this book go! There's no harm in trying.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Depression Cure, 4 Sep 2010
So far I've only dipped into this book; and I'm very impressed with what I have seen. The author, Steve Ilardi, writes in a clear, jargon-free, welcoming way and comes across as a warm and caring person. He is associate professor of clinical psychology at the University of Kansas and has devoted his career over two decades to researching depression and developing and applying ways to beat it; all within the Psychiatric Department of the Duke Medical Centre

As someone who has had major problems with severe depression, I'm very encouraged by what I've read so far. Now that my rushing about over the summer is slowing down, I'll soon be launching myself into the programme

Watch this space!

The Depression Cure: The Six-Step Programme to Beat Depression Without Drugs Dr Steve Ilardi

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical and helpful, 27 Jun 2011
J. Davis "Biggles" (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
The outline on the back of the book says it all: "With his six-step programme, Dr Ilardi not only makes sense of depression but offers a practical and straightforward plan for recovery". Frankly, I can't put it any better than that - for anyone who recognises the black cloud of depression, but doesn't want to bother doctor/family/friends about it, this is a truly practical and helpful book. Read it under brown paper if you must...but read it, and do take the steps the book outlines. I found it surprisingly helpful, and hope others do too.

5.0 out of 5 stars ppresent, 23 Aug 2010
This bookwas bought as a present for someone whose daughter suffers from depression.
She says that it has been very helpful indeed in enabling her to communicate with her daughter about her illne3ss and to help her provide support and advice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Depressed like me?, 15 July 2011
Andrew Rankine "Aurelianus" (Glasgow, scotland) - See all my reviews
I've suffered depression on and off for over 30 years. And I do mean suffered. I've broken long bones and had cholera - depression is worse. That's why I was recommended to try this book.
It is written in simple straightforward language you don't need a B.Sc. to grasp. The chapters and sections are short enough that if your concentration is off, you won't miss too much. Dr Ilardi's understanding of the illness is profound and well-conveyed. And here's the thing - it works! I've reduced my meds, have reduced rumination and better sleep (as opposed to 3-4 hours). You couldn't ask for a better guide on your journey out of the pit. I can't recommend this book highly enough.
One minor thing - I have a PhD in biochemistry, and I would have loved a brief 'further reading' list or journal references - I'll check out the TLC website.
Depressed like me? Read this book. Compassion and good empirical advice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good - if you can do it!, 17 April 2012
This is an excellent book, which I bought to help my husband who has been depressed on and off for years. He agrees with all of it - and has been doing many of the things that are listed to help - such as exercising, good food and supplements - and so on... But what seems impossible is to stop what this book calls 'ruminating' - it seems that is what drags him down. Maybe stronger readers will be able to do this. Certainly this is a book well worth reading.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›