4.0 out of 5 stars inspiring but raises more questions
I did enjoy this book and could relate to it well. with all my good intentions I still dont do much. however
one thing that worries me. is when will we realise that we ned to change. what will be the signal. Will we have to wait for it "to goose step down the Champs elysees". before we realise something is amiss.
Also not sure I think Ocado is a great example...
Published on 11 May 2012 by Mr. S. Joseph

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a great read
I think this book was written with the intention of being inspirational and a call to action but, though I agree with the general ideas in the book, it did not really inspire me. Reading it felt a bit repetitive and as if the point would be on the next page but somehow it did not really ever arrive.

A lot of optimism but a bit hand wavy about why the optimism...
Published 2 months ago by Jammy Dodger

4.0 out of 5 stars inspiring but raises more questions, 11 May 2012
Mr. S. Joseph (UK) - See all my reviews
Also not sure I think Ocado is a great example of an company that energy saving yes but does it help knit communities together no sure. It seems to be another example of how supermarkets are taking advantage.
Also Generation They are only interested in big companies and individuals. I emailed them recently explaining I was a small investor and they didnt even deign me with a reply. Once again only the elite can afford to have ethics.
whilst I agree with his premise that people will be galvinised there are still a lot of powerful people who will take advantage of the situation to increase their power. e.g taking control of water, energy. This needs to be factored in.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but too optimist, 20 May 2011
The book is great in explaining human predicament but too optimistic about the ability of contemporary world political order to solve global problems.

4.0 out of 5 stars good delivery, but ovely optimistic, 12 April 2012
This book speaks in a much-needed and imformal manner. It speaks plainly about our situation and incorporates evidence without being obtrusive.

Its message - that we will all pull together in the emergency - presumes that Mankind can solve whatever problem it faces through a kind of imgenuity by necessity. This crisis is not only too massive but has left us insufficient time to abate its consequences.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a great read, 9 May 2014

A lot of optimism but a bit hand wavy about why the optimism was justified.

4.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this, 24 Sep 2012
E. Tattersall (UK) - See all my reviews
An excellent book that anyone who cares about our home, planet Earth, should read. It's very real wake up call, predicting, with worrying clarity, the climate crisis and economic meltdown we're already beginning to witness. But the book finishes with an optomistic view of humanity surviving into a new era, as long as we act soon enough. Thought provoking and well worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best factual book I've read in ages!, 6 May 2012
This is a really interesting book about how the earth's limits are being reached and how this ecological crisis will cause a crash of the global economy. Gilding then goes onto describe how he thinks human society will re-organize it's self into a 'steady-state' economy that focuses on well-being and sustainability. I read it within 5 days. It's written in an intelligent way, with foot notes and references, but it is also very readable.
Gilding keeps one eye on human ingenuity and the other firmly on the harshness of science. His core message is that the challenge we face is the biggest ever (!) and that although times of great hardship are unavoidable, ultimately, we can succeed and get through this. His tone is of realism flirting with optimism.

See a full review on my blog - [...]

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly written, good ideas, 29 Aug 2012
I work in this field so can appreciate a lot of what he's saying, and found some good ways of framing the issues we face. But the text is written like a cross between a star's autobiography, a business bestseller and a self-help book: three odious genres. He rambles on page after page about this great guy he knows and how they went hiking and really thought about stuff and you know, they figured such and so was right because when I used to be at Greenpeace this and that, and then my global consultancy on sustainability such and so, and blah blah blah: basically he's written this while waiting in airports and didn't have time to do any actual reading, decent writing, or editing. It's frustrating, because it could have been really good. But honestly, it would have been about 70% shorter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Over the cliff with big business, 7 July 2014
Important reading to understand what direction we may all be taking globally in relation to climate and big business.

5.0 out of 5 stars Illuminating, and ultimately inspiring., 9 Jan 2014
This is an absolute must read. There really is nothing more to say other than pick up a copy today, and start being the change you want to see in the world!

5.0 out of 5 stars Required reading, 13 Sep 2013
For wanting to be prepared for the times ahead this is essential reading. Letting us now what maybe in front of us...