5.0 out of 5 stars so funny it hurts!
Published on 7 May 2004 by Deborah MacGillivray

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable and not as funny as others think
Published on 28 Feb 2012 by normally a fan

5.0 out of 5 stars so funny it hurts!, 7 May 2004
Deborah MacGillivray "Author," (US & UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Last fall, I stepped into a hole in the back yard and twisted my knee. At the time, that was so painful, I did not notice I cracked open the sternum of my ribcage. I woke in great pain during the night and had to be rushed to hospital. The immediately solution was stuff me into a corset to where I could not breath - crushing my ribcage. Surprisingly, you get "sort of" used it as the weeks pass, but you really are amazed at the women that lived their whole lives in that fashion. It's small wonder they swooned!
So, recalling how bad it hurt to laugh with a corset, I am eternally grateful that Katie Macalister waited until I was out of the bloody thing to release the Corset Diaries. Had I read this while trussed up like a turkey, I would have been in serious trouble! I would so hate to have my demise on Ms. Macalister conscience! And I fear that would have been the result. This book is just such a howl.
Katie's is a brand of humour that makes one feel good. It's a special gift. Her books won't change the world, solve the rain forest problem or go down into the history of literature, but they are sheer fun. And this one is another special gem from a very talented writer.
It's a funny, witty, sexy, Benny Hill - Monty Python bawdy romp. Some people don't get Brit humour, so they miss all the fun. Sorry for them. The rest of us shall delight in this tale of Tessa, a less than stunningly perfect, 39-year-old who takes on the chore of acting the role of Duchess for a week, corset and all. Frankly, I felt for Tessa when her heart goes pitter-patter over her leading man Max - her "Duke". Rapid breaths in steel stays is just dangerous! Its wickedly sly dialogue charms us as "Duchess" Tessa adjusts to life as it was over a century ago. Stocked full of charming characters, it's a delight from start to finish.
Katie's brings her special touch to this amusing story. Still, I am so glad I read it now, instead of four months ago when my brush with a corset left deep impression on me - figuratively and literally!!
Keep spinning the magic, and we shall keep laughing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just FAB, 11 Mar 2005
This was my first macalister read, and it would normally not be my pic (I'm a historical girl at heart) but the blurb sounded interesting and it was recomended so I purchased it. Wow! what a good choice. It is funny, very well written and with sexy romantic bits as well. You just want to eat the men in her book for breakfast lunch and tea.
Its also great to have a lead female charater who is not slim and perfect, some of her body observations will have you chuckling particularly if you are a bit 'skinny challenged' too.
Top marks, great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'I have to wear what????', 29 April 2004
By A Customer
Tessa who admits to being "skinny-challenged" is a last min replacement ona reality TV show titled 'A month in the life of a victorian duke' andthus has to wear a corset as per the title. Max the guy playing the partof the duke is as hansome as they come but Tessa does not get off to agood start with hilarious results.
Tessa is a fantastic heroine, veryreal and believable, she's in her late 30's and plump but you don't havethe usual turning into a swan thing writers often do, she is herself andloveable and humorous and determined to get her man.
The book is thebest Katie Macalister book so far.
It is also very very very funny.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable and not as funny as others think, 28 Feb 2012
Amazon don't give you the option of no stars by which I would've rated this book. I know you need to suspend disbelief sometimes but this story was so unbelievable my eyes got a great deal of rolling practice. I am a former TV producer and I tell you there is no possible way they could have accepted this pathetic, loser of a woman to play a Duchess in a TV series depicting life in Victorian times. Anyone could have - and would have - done it better. The American heiresses who married into the British aristocracy would have behaved very differently to the heroine of this book whose speech was far from Victorian - she actually called men "guys" .. in the 1870's! And the director on the series never turned a hair .. the things that happened would have scuppered any chance of it appearing on British television. The British characters all spoke Americanisms and how on earth the so-called intelligent architect fell in lurve with this silly, accident-prone, quite crazy woman defies any logic. I suppose it is just a question of individual taste but as you;ve guessed, I disagree with those who rated this book so highly. Sorry, this has put me off any of this author's books.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 5 Dec 2006
Being a big Katie MacAlister fan, it was quite disappointing for me to find out that not all her work is equally good.I have read all her paranormal romances , which were all absolutely FANTASTIC ! So were the Aisling Grey series. Really fun and interesting read !!! So I went ahead and bought "The Corset Diaries" expecting it to be great. I stand corrected ! The main character is quite whiny and clumsy in the worst way possible. HOW on earth does Max end up falling in love with her is a great mystery to me ....
The story itself is not catchy in any way, and quite unevetful.
I do not have a tendency of giving up on a book easily but this one I had to stop even before I reached the half of it.
To you who is thinking of buying this book, I can only say : IF you are a Katie MacAlister fan, there is a big chance of a great disappointment .
But if you are feeling brave , go ahead and buy the book. You might like it. Everything above is my personal opinion, that's all !!!
And if this is your first K. M. book , than go for one of the other series I mentioned above !!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm disappointing, 18 Feb 2009
Oh no! What happened Katie? I have read loads of Katies books, and this is the first one I haven't rated highly. OK I normally read the fantasy ones, but thought I would still enjoy this as I like her style of writing.

It was so unrealistic I was bored to tears! Too much sex, I found myself skipping pages yawning. They were only in the house a month, and was running off together after. The charactors were so annoying. I didn't realise this was going to be on the same lines as Mills and Boons!

The only thing I found interesting was the Victorian manor house and the little bits of history thrown in, but then maybe I should have bought a history book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Look out for plus sized heroine!, 14 April 2009
As a plus sized woman myself I have sometimes been frustrated with the "paper thin" and serious heroines in other romance novels.

Here I finally found a leading character I could identify with! She has some insecurities like most women, but she refuses to let them hold her back. I want to praise the author for finally letting a "real woman" have a go at a relationship with a strapping leading man. As in every Katie MacAlister novel there is lots of witty dialogue and enough twists in the plot to make it interesting!

Higly recommended for an enjoyable sunday read!!!

The Corset Diaries
The Corset Diaries by Katie MacAlister (Audio CD - 19 Aug 2013)
Used & New from: £17.61