5.0 out of 5 stars I just love this series
Fury's Kiss is the third book in Karen Chance's Dorina Basarab series and therefore this review may contain spoilers for the previous books. It is also set in the same universe as the Cassie Palmer series and shares some characters so they are really best read together (and in order).

When Dory wakes up in a strange lab, she has no memory of who she is but she...
Published on 12 Oct 2012 by Curiosity Killed The Bookworm

3.0 out of 5 stars I kept getting lost...
I loved this series but I didn't love this book. It wasn't bad, but I found myself just skipping through huge tracts of text because it was either boring or completely confusing.

The storyline seemed to jump between:
--fight scenes (normally I like a lot of action but the fights didn't grip me, I skimmed through a lot of them);
--romance/sex scenes...
Published 9 months ago by Diana Fleming

5.0 out of 5 stars I just love this series, 12 Oct 2012
Curiosity Killed The Bookworm (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Fury's Kiss (Paperback)

When Dory wakes up in a strange lab, she has no memory of who she is but she knows one thing; she is a dhampir, half vampire, half human and her mission in life is to kill vampires. So when there's one standing over her, she attacks, even if it is Louis-Cesare who is just trying to help. With her split nature, Dory is used to blacking out but when a team, of first-level masters is killed, she must regain her memories to find out what happened.

The characters in Karen Chance's books are like friends to me now and I just love returning to their world and being immersed in their stories. I was surprised at first that Dory's memory loss didn't last long but soon it starts to come together. There are several memories (in italics) which really won't make a lot of sense until the end and it's one of those books that would deserve a re-read with the benefit of hindsight.

The memory loss means you don't get that oh-so-common recap at the start and I found myself going back to the final chapter of Death's Mistress just to remind myself where things lay. Although I like that the reader's sense of disorientation mirrors Dory's. Just as the Cassie Palmer series has the displacement of the time travel scenes, Fury's Kiss delves into the landscape of memories and I enjoyed the visualisations.

We learn more about Dory's dhampir side and you will start to worry for her future but there were some absolute awwww moments which will leave you satisfied. There is also plenty of laugh out loud humour, fast paced action and a good dollop of sexiness. I cannot wait until the next book considering what happens at the end (not a cliffhanger but on-going character development that I want to see continued). Just please write faster Karen! 2013 will see a new Cassie Palmer book but I fear there will be a long wait to meet up with Dory again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Doesnt get much better than this in Vamp Land, 17 Oct 2012
This review is from: Fury's Kiss (Paperback)
Karen Chance really hits the spot with this superb addition to the Dorina series. I am totally addicted to Vamp novels at the moment and this has to be, by far the best I've read in some time. Not bad for a third outing for this particular set of characters.

Nothing formulaic in the book at all. Dory is typically mad as a hatter in a super cool way. Louis Cesare is a perfect foil and the relationship between the two of them has none of the predictable mush that you often see. No drawn out love hate ups and downs here that make you wish the characters were real just so that you can punch them. (I really want to smack Ethan and Merit in the Chicagoland series).

Dorys mind says one thing and her body another, this duplicity is a really good device to move forward with the split personality business. But Dory is just a primal instinctive character who is very disingenuous and very real.

Kit Marlowe is completely knocked for six by events in this book and seeing him discombobulated alongside Dorys spontaneity is exciting. The two of them make a surprisingly good pairing. Great action.

And Raymond Lu, who would have thought he could add so much hilarity to proceedings - really super dialogue an comraderie.

What a great ending too - I read the epilogue twice in quick succession I was so satisfied. I envy my friends who have yet to start the series!

The only character that doesn't please is Mircea. Who'd have thought it. But I can't really complain given the roundedness of the rest of the characterisation. Other than that previously he had been very much a favourite.

And well done Cassie who puts in a brief appearance!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I could ask for..., 14 Oct 2012
This review is from: Fury's Kiss (Kindle Edition)
I loved Dory the moment I met her in book 1. I had read the Cassie Palmer series, which I really enjoyed and was looking forward to seeing the same characters and world crop up in this series. But as soon as I met Dory, I was enchanted. I love strong, independent females and Dory is text book and then some.

This latest installment is fabulous, I honestly couldn't have asked for more! I loved the story line, suspense, characters... I finished it and had to read it again. I was walking around with a grin on my face for days wishing I was that kick arse and cool. It had everything I had been hoping for in book 2. It was great to see how she handled having Louis-Cesare's full attention after the events in book 2, to get some answers about Dhampir's and Dory's unusual survival and to finally see her regain a bit of a relationship back with her father. My heart was pounding with fear and excitement at several points. And someone got a twist in the story line past me! That so rarely happens that I actually gasped (then thought 'oh yeah, why didn't I see that coming!')

Of course, you must read the first two in the series first, but after reading this one I simply can not wait for the next one. Keep it up Karen Chance!

5.0 out of 5 stars love this series, 25 April 2013
This review is from: Fury's Kiss (Paperback)
love Dory, love Louise-Cesare, love the pace love the humour love the moments of genuine tenderness.... Dory is, in my mind, a unique female protagonist within this genre and Karen Chance is to be applauded - no pale carbon copies of other female UF characters for her!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dory Gets What She Deserves!, 24 Nov 2012
deanne (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fury's Kiss (Paperback)
And that review title will become completely clear to you once you've finished the book!

In this book, Dory and Mircea's father/daughter relationship deepens, which is really nice to see. We get to see Kit in a state we are not used to seeing him (and he is a better character for it). Dory & Louis-Cesare are hotter than ever (there are some smokin' scenes, but not in a gratuitous fashion). We find out much more about Dorina, Dory's vampire side, with some surprising revelations, not just to us, but to Dory and the vampire community.

Perhaps one of the best aspects, is Ray's development, which I think another reviewer also mentioned. He provides a huge amount of comic relief, and is is now a complete ally to Dory, going so far as asking her to do something pretty special for him. I actually giggled out loud on public transport at a fair few of his lines.

You may have read Cassie makes an appearance - she does, but it is EXTREMELY brief, and will leave you wishing she'd had a little more page time and gagging for the moment that these two put their heads together - think about it, they could be such a help to each other.

I found it a little difficult to keep track of the fight scenes (yes, there are tons), and the disjointed memories are tricky to keep up with as well, and had me scratching my head a few times.

Another reviewer mentioned they felt it worth going back and rereading Death's Mistress, and I think you could do with re-reading Hunt the Moon as well (and THEN probably rereading Fury's Kiss! Which is what I plan to do).

If you are interested in a REAL marathon, the timeline of books is: Touch the Dark (Cassie), Claimed by Shadow (Cassie), Embrace the Night (Cassie), Midnight's Daughter (Dory), Curse the Dawn (Cassie), Death's Mistress (Dory), Hunt the Moon (Cassie), Fury's Kiss (Dory)

I had a great time (as always) with Dory, and I hope you enjoy Fury's Kiss as much as I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Urban Fantasy doesn't get much better than this, 24 Nov 2012
This review is from: Fury's Kiss (Paperback)
A great Urban Fanstasy read; fast paced and with Chance's trademark style: kick ass dhampir heroine, fast paced narrative, high action style full of unlikely but hilarious scenarios, great characters and a touch of romantic encounters with a twist. My one reservation is that this is aimed at fans who have some experience of the Dory/Cassie series. I normally prefer the Cassie Palmer books to those featuring Dory, which to date have been high on action and lower on humour, but this one gets the balance just right. The shopping scene in the first half of the book left me rolling on the floor with laughter and Dory/Dorina seem to be able to draw humour from a range of lucky escapes. As the novel progresses there is a lot more break-neck paced action, leaving me convinced I need to re-read the book several times to feel I've got all the twists and turns of the plotline.

Mircea is revealead as much more vulnerable than in any book so far and if you are a Marlowe fan then you will be delighted. My favourite character in this one has to be Ray - a surprise as he seemed little more than a 'tool' in the previous book - and not just in the narrative function. There is a surprise meeting towards the end of the book which existing Chance fans will love and leave them desperate for more. In fact I found it hard to fault this book: the novel managed to reveal more of the Dory/Louis Cesar/Mircea narrative whilst at the same time develop the vampire/fey politics, interweave Chance's bizzare Cassie Palmer 'gods' narrative and clarify some of the issues.

If you're a fan of the Dory or Cassie books then don't hesitate, buy it now! If you've never read Dory 1 + 2 - don't start with this one - you will have no idea what is going on and the subtleties will be lost. But that's easily recitfied: Get Death's Mistress instead!

5.0 out of 5 stars Go dory, 24 Oct 2014
This review is from: Fury's Kiss (Kindle Edition)
Dory finds herself still working for daddy and the Senate. She discovers that he did something to her brain when she was a child to save her life. Dory finds herself in the middle of another faction of the war. Louis Caesar is still in hot pursuit and dory doesn't feel she deserves him. Also, dory meets cassie and finds herself in a muddy field, dressed in a bedsheet after she is rude to her!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must buy, 21 Oct 2012
Hi,

First time i have written one of these but i always make a point of reading review before I buy any books and i just really want to say BRILLIANT. For anyone who has not read Karen Chance i would say get out their and buy her books she is a great writer who clearly puts a lot of time into the story and her characters. I got so excited when i saw this book was finally released (a dance was done in the book shop).

As for the book it was great cause we finally got to find out more of Dory's back story with her father and of course LC. But it is also really great how Claire is still about and how other great characters eg Marlowe have not been lost, which can sometimes happen when a story is as fast pace as this one was.

Can't wait for the next installment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good third instalment, 17 Oct 2012
This review is from: Fury's Kiss (Paperback)
Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed it and really liked learning more about Dory's dhampir nature. I also loved the character development as we saw her relationship with both Mircea and Louis-Cesare grow and deepen. Why only 4 stars then? Well for me, it was only in the last third of the book that it really started to suck me in. The first third to half was too much action and most of it irrelevant. I found myself flicking through page after page of fight scenes and was frankly bored and wanted the story to move on. I'm a big fan of both Chance and urban fantasy generally, but I need the leading characters to get more time if I'm to truly invest. This is a long book, but some of it felt like padding. I felt similarly about sections of 'Curse the Dawn' and she brought it back on track for 'Hunt the Moon' so here's hoping that Chance can do the same for Dory's story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 28 Jan 2014
5 stars
I couldn't stop reading and can't wait for the next one. I can't wait to find out what happens next.

Fury's Kiss (Dorina Basarab)
Fury's Kiss (Dorina Basarab) by Karen Chance (Audio CD - 29 Oct 2012)