5.0 out of 5 stars Historical Fan
I really cannot understand why this novel has been given such low reviews, it was the first Anne Stuart book I read, but I enjoyed it so much I had to read the sequels. Which, in my opinion, were not quite as good as Ruthless. Anne Stuart is a breath of fresh air. Her characters are strong, the plot a little different, but definately not another booring historical.
Published on 25 Aug 2011 by Mrs. G. M. Loydall

3.0 out of 5 stars Fair
As a rule, I don't usually read historical fiction, but I had heard some good things about Anne Stuart and thought I would it give a try.

Ruthless appears to be the first book in a trilogy - which I think will work well - considering the characters in the book and the potential that the author has given them and future plotlines.

Having said that,...
Published on 8 Aug 2010 by Tina

3.0 out of 5 stars Fair, 8 Aug 2010
Tina "Tina" (Montreal, Quebec) - See all my reviews

Having said that, the storyline is basically about a mother (who was once royalty of some type) and her two daughters who try to "fit" into a world that is no longer available to them. In fact, a good chunk of the book is driven by the mother who will do just about anything to reclaim both a title and a fortune - to the detriment of her daughters.

Concurrently, we meet the eldest daughther who is THE main character of the storyline. I loved reading about how strong and stable she was, despite her upbringing and the constant challenges presented by her mother.

Overall, I though the book was okay - nothing outstanding, but nonetheless interesting.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 25 Jan 2011
L. Sims "Linda" (The south) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This is the first book I have read the this author,it seems from my understanding she specializes in bad boys! Oh yes Lord Rohan was a bad boy alright but more like a pantomime bad boy. I think the author was going for griity realism with this story, but for me the whole story was laughable, I will not be reading any more books by this writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Historical Fan, 25 Aug 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable story! Shades of Georgette Heyer, 19 Jun 2013
MultiMum (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I am at a loss to understand the bad reviews of this book. One of them almost seems to be of another book in terms of the plot description ("Fair" by Tina.) Anne Stuart writes well and has a good historical knowledge of the period.

The plot revolves around two English sisters living with their mother in Paris. The "Hero" is a thorough rake in the worst possible way, but I enjoyed the plot and subplot tremendously.

For the Georgette Heyer fan this has distinct shades of "These Old Shades," which suggests that the sequel could be about the child(ren) of this book's characters, in the same way as "Devil's Cub" follows "These Old Shades." If another reader knows which book follows "Ruthless" it would be helpful to mention it in a review/comment on this book so the rest of us can look it up!

(Later comment: I've now read Reckless which is indeed about the main characters of this book's son. Not quite as good, but still enjoyable.)

Ruthless (House of Rohan)
Ruthless (House of Rohan) by Anne Stuart (Audio CD - 31 Jan 2011)
19.11