Format: Hardcover|Change

Wreck-It Ralph has an interesting premise that will probably tickle gamers. It's amusing to see how gaming is spoofed. The book features the concept art, character designs, storyboards and colorscripts. There are lots of funny ideas and art.

The book is split into roughly three parts that correspond to the game worlds that Ralph has to travel through. There's the 8-bit world, the First Person Shooter world, and finally the Sugar Rush world where the go-karts are racing.

The first part looks at the 8-bit world as realised in 3D. The character designs are the cute big-head-short-legs type. I was looking out for game villains designs for the nostalgia but there aren't as many compared to the other characters.

The FPS world is a strong juxtaposition from the two other worlds. The concept art here looks like they can for Halo, Mass Effect, or Gears of War. There are background art, vehicles and the technology. The only giveaway is the more caricatured character faces, cute cy-bugs and Ralph's armoured suit showing his big belly.

The last part featuring the Sugar Rush world will get you into a sugar high just from looking at the pictures. There are landscape paintings of chocolate and candy, fluffy candy floss clouds, house of cakes, candy go-karts, biscuit soldiers and donut cops. There are even photos of the staff making models out of real confectionery. I feel unhealthy already after looking at so much sugar.

The contrasting worlds and their quirky game characters makes this a wonderful artbook.

(There are more pictures of the book on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.)
on 20 October 2015
Many of these Disney "The Art of" books are on my wish list and I keep picking up the odd one or two when I've got some spare cash. Basically there's no better way as a keen artist to 'up your game' than by seeing some of the best commercial artists in the business doing their thing.

All of the character, scenic and prop designs for "Wreck-It Ralph" are of course steeped in videogame design history but the real stars of the show here are the original characters from the movie like Ralph himself (who went from being almost like an animal to his final 'hobo chic' look) and Vanellope (arguably the cutest Disney character since Bambi!) as well as the mouth-watering designs for Sugar Rush (including those fabulous karts).

People often grumble and grump about how Disney are ruining all the things they loved as children. Tosh. Disney plays host to some serious talent as you'll see when dipping into this wonderful book. Basically we won't stop till we've collected them all!
on 27 March 2015
I can't be happier about this, for misterious reasons it was just five pounds including shipping, so I was a bit suspicious about the state of the book, but no! This beauty was shrink-wrapped and everything!

Like with any other artbook, I can spend hour after hour looking at the development of the characters and ideas that made the final product. This stuff is really inspiring!

Fast delivery, no damage other than the casual corner-squish, 4/5!
on 3 November 2014
 What's included in the book:

- Character Sketches and Renders
- Ralph, Felix, Vanellope alternate sketches
- Game Environments - Fix-It Felix, Hero's Duty, Sugar Rush
- Gallery of Candy Racers & Go Karts
- Storyboards of Sequences
- Digital Concept Art
- Behind the Scenes photos of models
on 15 December 2015
Wreck-it Ralph remains to this day one of my favourite Disney movies - it's cute, funny, and has a bunch of great characters.

Naturally, I love the art book, which contains a plethora of character development images, set design, and more. A lovely addition to an art reference library, for anyone interested in film design and animation.
on 16 January 2016
I feel in love with the movie so I had to get the art book for it and I'm really happy I did!
you can actually see the process they went through with designing the characters and it is adorable!
I'd definitely recommend it to any wreck it ralph fan or simply an animation lover.
on 31 August 2014
Another present for my animation loving brother. He loved this film and kept wistfully dropping hints he wanted the book so I got it for him. Its beautiful and colourful art featuring lots of different set and character designs. A worthy book to sit alongside his animation collection.
on 3 March 2013
beautifully illustrated and produced a wonderful book to accompany a fun, smart comedy film - recommended if you liked the film or are a fan of these 'art of' books - you won't be disappointed.
on 30 March 2013
Arrived in perfect condition, and was more then I was expecting. I would say this book is great for people who love animation, due to a variety of pre-production work shown in the book.
on 24 November 2015
Great book, inspirational, full of information and the art is fantastic. I really like the art compared with the film it was really nice to see the way the develop the characters