5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put the book down! Wonderful!
This is by far the best book I've read for a very long time and I could not put it down. I read it in a day!. It has confirmed things for me about near death experience, which a friend told me about after he came out of a coma, and Dr Eben Alexander's experiences were almost exactly the same. The story held me from page one from when Eben started to become ill, right...
Published on 10 Feb. 2013 by Lemon Balm

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but a little lacking in his experiences
I gave this 3 stars for the following reasons. On the plus side, this is a very nice and hopeful story thats easy to read and certaintly cheerful and thought provoking. The author's accounts of what happened to him are very interesting and definitly worth musings and considerations and I found this book to be an enjoyable read that I would recommend. To those mentioning...
Published 10 months ago by Shirin

‹ Previous | 1 2 391 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Really fascinating, 19 Nov. 2012
A truly fascinating read, left me wanting to know more. Never read a book like this before but was tempted by the credentials of the author. It doesn't answer all the questions and I'm still not 100% convinced but its great to open your mind to the possibilities.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting...., 19 April 2013
Interesting but not quite what I expected. Perhaps I picked up the blurb incorrectly but I was led to believe that during his pseudo death state he met other people, friends, family who had gone before. Admittedly his instant illness was traumatic and the details of this are comprehensive but I found the technical detail a bit too heavy - and I do understand quite a lot of it. More was actually given to this than the 'proof of the afterlife' and what happened during that phase. That's not what I bought it for.

On the strength of the publicity I bought the Kindle version for myself and, at the same time, the book for a friend. Unfortunately it would be too technical for her and I will have to sell it on.

So, in my opinion, if you are looking for an afterlife fix this is not the book for you but each to his own, as they say.

5.0 out of 5 stars revelation, 8 July 2013
Having been mostly Atheist all my life, losing my father very suddenly awoke a spiritual journey I never anticipated. I have never feared what happened to his soul, but something was changing within me about what I understood happens next. My sister bought me this book for my birthday, it has depicted everything that I could not describe and made me feel at ease with what was instinctually in my thoughts. I now give value to prayer, something I always dismissed. Changed my core belief profoundly. I hate anything mystical & dream like, it exists in his journey to a certain degree as it is inescapable and for the first time, it was believable. This scientific description are in-depth enough for his fellow compadres to give him credit yet still engaging for the layman. More of a description of his journey of the OM world would have added to the book.

I tell everyone about this book, it has connected me to the OM source and I forever grateful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read., 19 Dec. 2012
M. Shearer "Mermaid" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I would recommend this book to anyone who is genuinely interested in answers to fundamental questions about the nature of our reality.

The reason I chose it to read is that it is written by Eben Alexander who has had a science-based education and is a neurosurgeon. He must know a great deal about the workings of the human brain.

My next observation is purely personal and may not apply to other readers.I did switch off to a certain extent when I read that the author was brought up in the Baptist faith. The further I read, the more religious the terminology became. In my opinion, the true nature of reality supercedes all religions. The ultimate truth lies beyond them all. For this reason I was disappointed in the book, especially towards the end.

It is fascinating, however, to read the accounts of his out-of-body experiences (OBE's)

5.0 out of 5 stars Most highly recommended, 24 Dec. 2012
I have read a lot of books on the same topic, but this must be the best of all of them. Although I personally don't need any "Proof of Heaven", I liked the analytical and scientific approach of the author, which is surely based on his own scientific background. This would be a good book to read for anyone who has difficulties to believe in a life after death, but who is interested to find out what there might be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr Eben Alexander: proof of Heaven, 12 Jan. 2013
This is a fabulous book, a real page turner. So great to see scientific knowledge alongside psychic experience and communication and, yes, the two cohabit perfectly, as Einstein would also agree. Dr Alexander writes clearly and explains everything so well. He is a brilliant neuro surgeon with massive experience in brain surgery and thereby the physiology of the human brain. Scientist is written through him, like Brighton Rock, so the psychic events he experienced and writes about in his book hold credibility and courage to record. The book is especially useful to those with a scientific mind, yet the title is less attractive for that audience. I enjoyed reading Dr Alexander's account: his logical reasoning and the unique journey his profound coms led him into and it was filled with loving humanity and tender humility.

2.0 out of 5 stars Is there life after death, 3 April 2013
It was laying around at home, not my ideal choice of book to read, but I got stuck in and at the beginning I started to enjoy it, but this slowly waned. To much about the family, the interesting aspects of what he experienced when clinically dead and life after the experience were enjoyable, but it all could have been written in half the number of pages. I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it

4.0 out of 5 stars Comforting thought, 19 Jan. 2013
A compelling read, perhaps a little complex to follow in certain places but I thoroughly enjoyed it and it's comforting to know that there may be a life after death.

3.0 out of 5 stars Questions of Heaven, 26 Jan. 2015
Valerie L. Pate (East Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
Anyone who has lost someone who is dear to them can relate to the desire to know more about what comes after this lifetime. As I age, I find myself more skeptical than I had been in my youth; and yet I cling to the same hope as the countless masses - that something of the person we are here on Earth will remain sentient forever. There is some comfort to be found in science. We know that energy cannot be unmade, only changed. For me, however, it is that continued desire to “be with” and “know” my loved ones once more.
This book popped out at me as I scanned the countless available downloads for my kindle. I am aware of the dozens of books out there covering individual near death experiences. This particular book seemed different in that it was written by a neuroscientist; a proclaimed non-believer prior his own week long coma. I decided at once that i had to read this account by a doctor and a man of science. I wanted to hear what experiences had completely changed his world view.
The book was not what I expected, but no less intriguing. Alexander gave a lot of background information and went into great depth about his illness. I was glad that he made his story so personal, but there was definitely less information about the afterlife than I had anticipated. He makes it very clear in his text that he cannot find the words to do his experiences justice; but even so, I felt that what he did attempt to share was very brief. I finished the book feeling happy for the author, but with a yearning for more information. Alexander did provide a very thorough bibliography of sources at the end. He has also written other books; presumably about his continued research into this other “realm”. While I don’t feel particularly inclined to read his other works, I did spy a volume by the Dalai Lama in his notes that I intend to pursue. It is about the connection between science and faith, but I am not sure if it actually addresses the afterlife.
Alexander’s book didn’t answer any questions for me, but it did provide a bit more hope. Perhaps that is all we can ever hope for. It seems that people can spend their whole lives pondering and researching these questions, and still the only answers come after the fact.

4.0 out of 5 stars Story of an unusual journey of a scientist to the world not visible to our eyes, 19 Mar. 2014
‘Proof of Heaven’ by Eben Alexander is the story of an unusual journey of a scientist to the world that is not visible to our eyes, a journey that has changed his beliefs and made him start to believe that there is something that stands above physical world and human fates.

Dr. Eben Alexander who is skilled doctor in the field of neurosurgery had a common opinion shared by the doctors all around the world about near-death experiences – seeing those events as experiences similar to dreams when our brain put under great stress is playing tricks with us, creating fantasies that look and feel realistic.

Unfortunately the author suffered a severe health problem when his brain was attacked by not so common disease when the part of the brain that controls our emotions and thoughts stopped working and for a week he was in coma. Given that this was an extremely difficult case of brain disease for which there almost certainly no return to the previous state or the patient experience severe consequences afterwards, it was unlikely that he will wake up after so long time. So when his doctors were thinking about stopping his treatment, Alexander miraculously came back.

Although what happened to the author of this book is medical phenomenon, his story is even stranger and delves deeply into the meaning of life and human beliefs, regardless of whether you are a believer or agnostic as Dr. Alexander was before this experience.

‘Proof of Heaven’ is a difficult book to review, in same time not entering in the truthfulness of what the author wrote, because it is the experience of the person that is impossible to verify, and it should be taken as such, believing or not what is choice left for every reader to make. The phenomenon of near-death experiences is something that is well known and is often mentioned as a topic of many professional and less professional papers, and all those who had experienced such situations generally cite the same or similar motifs that are repeated through them.

Dr. Alexander speaks a lot about his career in trying to establish the impression of a strong doctoral credibility in order for his experience to gain even more power and even scientific credibility because it has changed his personal and scientific thinking. It cannot be denied that in terms of style this is a well-written book that will keep the reader’s interest though it might seem there is lot of evangelism in it, not only storytelling about his experience.
In some parts the author is somewhat contradictory because on the one hand he emphasizes that it is impossible to describe afterlife and its inhabitants, and then trying to do it by introducing some motifs that are on the verge of children's fantasy and fairy tales.

Therefore it is difficult to make a general assessment of ‘Proof of Heaven’ and certainly it will depend on the belief of a person reading it. But certainly it is not surprising that the book was such a bestseller in the world as it is written in an interesting and easy to read manner by skilled author, which, even if you will not believe in his story the time you invested in reading will not be considered lost.

‹ Previous | 1 2 391 | Next ›

Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey Into the Afterlife
Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey Into the Afterlife by Eben Alexander (Paperback - 23 Oct. 2012)
Used & New from: £0.77