5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put the book down! Wonderful!
Published 19 months ago by Lemon Balm

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings
Published 22 months ago by Amber

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put the book down! Wonderful!, 10 Feb 2013
This is by far the best book I've read for a very long time and I could not put it down. I read it in a day!. It has confirmed things for me about near death experience, which a friend told me about after he came out of a coma, and Dr Eben Alexander's experiences were almost exactly the same. The story held me from page one from when Eben started to become ill, right through everything that the medical profession did to support him during the 7 days he was in a coma, and how his family tried to cope with the knowledge that Eben might never come back to them, an experience that for them was very harrowing. When Eben went into his coma, he knew nothing of the drama that went off around his bedside or the fears of his family and friends that he many never recover. Eben was, in the eyes of the scientific medical world, brain dead, as a result of the bacterial e-coli Meningitis that attacked his brain. I found this an easy to read and truly enthralling book even though there were some technical medical descriptions that I didn't wholly understand. True stories like this one are so inspiring. I have never been afraid to die but this has confirmed to me that there should never need to be a reason to be afraid anyway. Dr Eben Alexander also opened a website following his experience. This is mentioned in the book and it gives support to people who have returned to earth after a near death experience. There are stories and lots of information on the website. Do read this book from the first page to the very last and then pass it on as I have done.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Comfort, 26 Oct 2012
I have read a large number of books on this subject over the years. A lot have been written in anecdotal style and I have been left feeling sceptical. This book is quite analytical in approach and does not attempt to sensationalise or lead the reader to accept weird and wonderful reasons why the author had the experiences described. Whilst it would have been helpful to have more on the actual content of what the author experienced and perhaps a little less of the scientific explanations; overall,the book provides food for thought and for me personally some antidote to the grief I still experience thirty five years after losing my young son. I believe the book will be a great comfort to many others who are also grieving.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, 30 Oct 2012
I have mixed feelings about this book. I would strongly recommend reading it, and I would strongly recommend slogging through to the end of the book when the going gets tough! I'm not an intellectual, and I found the book very wordy and hard-going in places. However, I'm really glad that I have read it - and I love the message that it gives out - it has confirmed for me, so much of what I believe. I feel like I had a load of jumbled up ideas and that this book has given me a clearer picture - a bit like having a load of jigsaw puzzle pieces, and knowing roughly what was on them... but now the puzzle is more complete and I can see the picture!

I think the book is worth reading twice, or even more times, to get more of its message.

2.0 out of 5 stars anecdotal tales make not for good science., 23 Jan 2014
The author has been through an intense experience and is clearly passionate about communicating his new found ideas and beliefs around "reality" to the world. Despite the passion it feels a bit airy-fairy with visions that could come from any drug-induced hallucination (in this case hypoxia or e. Coli toxin induced). Ignores the most obvious explanation (which can never be Proven) that the nature of time is tied in to consciousness. Time is a perception, a construct of the mind,as is everything else around us. And just as different states of mind can make us feel time is running slowly or faster, what if in extremis, the brain slows it's time simulation right down such that those few minutes of NDE to an observer might correspond to years or even an eternity to the dying brain?

What if the Afterlife in fact takes place in its entirety during those few minutes of dying brain? That despite Organic death, we experience spiritual eternity by virtue of time coming to an infinite crawl and stop. Such questions are not considered though they may be valid.
The main saving grace of this book is the authors attempts to consider scientific explanations for his experiences. Sadly I finished feeling dissatisfied similar to reading about alien abductions - briefly entertaining but not meaningful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 15 Nov 2013
This has been a passage of reality for me. I have battled with the duality of science and spirit through my nursing career and this explains this too my heart, head and soul.

5.0 out of 5 stars A personal account of an NDE, 26 Nov 2012
Dr. H. A. Jones "Howard Jones" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Proof of Heaven: A neurosurgeon's journey into the afterlife by Eben Alexander, Simon & Schuster, New York; Piatkus, London, 2012, 208 ff.

Most of the books on near-death experiences (NDEs) are written by authors who relate accounts given to them by other people. The books by Raymond Moody, Pim van Lommel and Michael Sabom are typical examples. This book, like that of Nanci Danison, is a first-hand account written by someone who has himself experienced an NDE.

Dr Eben Alexander is a neurosurgeon. He had his first near-death experience as a parachute jumper when he nearly collided with another jumper. But it was the coma produced by an attack of bacterial meningitis in 2008 that provoked something of the kinds of mental images that are usually associated with NDEs. However, many of the incidents common to many NDE experiencers were missing. This event has however still led him to conclude that `our life does not end with the death of the body or the brain'.

The first couple of chapters of the book describe some of the symptoms of Alexander's condition when he was ill - not for the squeamish, perhaps. But his recollections of the first period of his coma in another spiritual realm are equally vividly described - and fascinating. The whole description is given more weight by the fact that Alexander is a scientist who started this experience with the usual reservations if not scepticism about the existence of the psychic realm. I found the details that Alexander recounts more convincing of continuing discarnate existence than several I have read. The personal details of his life that the author includes get the reader more involved in the story - it's not some dispassionate scientific account of an experiment but a real-life experience of a living being. This account includes the personal events surrounding his emergence from coma.

Eben Alexander wrote this book with the conviction that the importance of unconditional love and that science supports rather than contradicts the existence of the spiritual realm is such that it is imperative that it is understood by a majority of people on the planet before our obsessive materialism drives humankind to extinction. He knew also that he was forever part of the divine spiritual energy that he calls Om. He knows that the events and impressions he relates in this book are real - and he can distinguish them from the hallucinatory images he rambled about as he was recovering from his coma. During the coma, the attending physicians will attest to the fact that his conscious mind was dead.

There is a good Index and a further Reading List at the end of the book together with an interesting consideration of nine neurological hypotheses that might explain Dr Alexander's experiences: none of which satisfies him or his colleagues - which leaves us with interpretation as a vision of `heaven'.

Consciousness Beyond Life: The Science of the Near-Death Experience
Life After Life
Glimpses of Eternity: An investigation into shared death experiences

4.0 out of 5 stars Not disappointing, 26 Oct 2012
Dr Alexander`s formidable credentials as a doctor and scientist lend credibility to this fascinating subject.

His descriptions of the "other world" he entered are a little hard to understand, visualise, conceptualise, but as he himself says several times throughout the book words are simply an inadequate means of describing the experience he went through.

The twist at the end (don`t want to ruin it for anyone with any further details!) that proves what he saw was real will take your breath away. Conclusive proof that what he saw could not have simply been a hallucination.

I have read several books on this subject, and would put myself in the camp of "skeptical but so wanting it all to be true." The scientist in me tries to come up with rational explanations for what people describe. The spiritual side of me tries to prove otherwise. Dr Alexander, far more scientific than me, has managed to put into words what I never could. His experience, combined with his medical background, is good enough for me. I believe everything he said, and thank him for the courage he has shown in putting his scientific repuatation on the line in order to share the good news with all of us. Whether or not we now choose to heed it or not is entirely down to us as individuals. There`s that "free will" again! Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lucid, balanced and well written, 27 Oct 2012
Whether you agree with Dr Alexander's conclusions, or if indeed there is an afterlife at all, it is hard to deny that this rational, educated man has undergone an experience which, for him, has been life changing. He has gone to great lengths to set out that experience clearly for us (by his own admission words fail to match his experience) and his apparent lack of agenda, in terms of trying to convert us to one faith or another, lends credibility to his account. I was immensely relieved to find the book focused on the scientific and factual insofar as it was possible to do so, and chose not to descend into pulpit thumping.

Instead he proposes that science needs to look more closely at where it is going, and that ongoing studies and examination of the consciousness, as opposed to of the brain, is something that will bring science and spirituality closer together. If I've understood him correctly he sees the future of science as changing direction, accepting that consciousness exists without the brain which is little more than an elaborate processor of our consciousness in earthly terms, and considering in much greater detail the millions of experiences that people have had.

I read the entire book yesterday and am going back to the beginning today. It isn't one you should dismiss without reading it for yourself and (forgive the cliche)it might change your life. Other NDE accounts convince in varying degrees. This one stands head and shoulders above the rest.

5.0 out of 5 stars NDE, 11 Dec 2012
At first I was only going to give it 4 star because it seemed to be slow moving, there is so much about Eben's life! but to get the full picture I found this important. I recommend that even an Atheist should read this book, it may surprise you! and change your view and how you see life and beyond.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really fascinating, 19 Nov 2012
A truly fascinating read, left me wanting to know more. Never read a book like this before but was tempted by the credentials of the author. It doesn't answer all the questions and I'm still not 100% convinced but its great to open your mind to the possibilities.

Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey Into the Afterlife
Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey Into the Afterlife by Eben Alexander (Paperback - 23 Oct 2012)
Used & New from: £0.70