4.0 out of 5 stars Excesses of an 80's metal star, 27 Aug 2013
I liked this book! I may be slightly biased, as a huge ratt fan and admirer of Pearcy as a frontman, but for me it perfectly encapsulates the glitz and grime of the 80's LA metal scene, whilst describing in detail his early life and the rise of the band which would eventually become Ratt. Add in some amusing personal anecdotes about other bands- Van Halen, Motley Crue and W. Axl Rose all feature, amongst others- plus a reasonably dry and self deprecating wit, and for fans of the hair metal era you've an extremely entertaining read!
I would've liked to hear more about the other band members.....the late Robbin Crosby gets a decent amount of coverage, but Juan Croucier and Warren DeMartini are barely mentioned. Also the songs themselves are hardly touched on- and as Pearcy was Ratt's principal songwriter i find that baffling!
Overall though a good read, especially for fans of 80's rock and metal.

4.0 out of 5 stars A familiar tale..., 8 May 2013
Tim Jenkins (High Wycombe, Bucks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
So I must have read pretty much every rock book going, in some cases even ones where I don't like the band.

By those standards, I think Motley Crue's "The Dirt" would be pretty difficult to ever top in terms of the definitive rock bio, but this one is definitely an entertaining read.

It's a good mix of background into the music biz, showbiz gossip, plus Pearcy's honest assessment of his drug/booze demons.

I have the Bobby Blotzer (Ratt drummer) book too which I also enjoyed, but Pearcy comes across more self-deprecating than his drummer, whilst probably equally flawed as a person.

Anyway, a great read if you're a Ratt fan or 80s rock fan in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars such a fun read, 22 Sep 2013
J. Ford - See all my reviews
apart from the heroin diaries,this is my favourite boig - and i have read most of the recent rock/metal stars books.this i read in one day - couldnt put it down

Sex, Drugs, Ratt & Roll: My Life in Rock
Sex, Drugs, Ratt & Roll: My Life in Rock by Sam Benjamin (Paperback - 1 Jun 2014)
9.43