5.0 out of 5 stars Lothaire is both the hero and the antagonist
If Lothaire was real, he would have invented the phrase "treat them mean, keep them keen". I know some people are uncomfortable with just how evil Lothaire really is, but I saw it as an obstacle to overcome. Lothaire is evil and that's a trait that not going to be simply broken just because he met his "bride".

Lothaire is an ass, and he is meant to be an ass,...
Published on 20 Jun 2012 by Nurrie

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Honestly, Kresley Cole's "Lothaire" left me feeling quite torn once I finished reading it. While there were definitely a number of enjoyable and good parts, I was left feeling disappointed and for the first time ever, I found the quality of a Kresley Cole book lacking. This is the weakest book in the series (novellas included).

Let me first say that Lothaire...
Published on 22 Jan 2012 by Sylarah

5.0 out of 5 stars Lothaire is both the hero and the antagonist, 20 Jun 2012
Nurrie (NE Scotland) - See all my reviews

Lothaire is an ass, and he is meant to be an ass, that's is the obstacle of the book. The true antagonist of the book is Lothaire's darkside, the evil in him, not Doroda or some ancient vampire goddess, it is him. You are meant to hate that side of him and want to smack him on the head when he acts like a cruel, selfish idiot, that side of him is more dangerous to Ellie than any immortal evil out there. And as he is main antagonist, don't expect that side to be defeated early on in the book. Expect to get angry.

You're meant to be upset when Ellie is, cheer when Ellie cheers and get angry at Lothaire when she gets angry at him.

And judging by the negative reviews, Cole did her job and did it well, any less would be an insult.

I enjoyed reading his story arc and character's growth. This was a beautiful, sexy raunchy book, and I enjoyed that the hero is also the villian, and you're willing him to see the truth and open his eyes as well as his heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lothaire - *swoon*, 11 Jan 2012
I've been waiting for Lothaire for quite some time, and I've just stayed up all night reading it because, like everything Kresley Cole writes, I couldn't seem to put it down.

What can I say? Lothaire was fantastic, everything I'd hoped he'd be. Arrogant, dry, utterly intractable. And so dirty. The sex in this book is a bit of a change of style compared to some of the others in the series. It's still steamy as ever, but Lothaire isn't the usual animal-passion Lykae or tortured Wroth or Woede. Lothaire is like... my kinda guy. Let's just say he can turn a pretty phrase in EVERY situation ;) At one point, I became worried that he was going to 'go soppy' like some of her other heroes do... but then Cole pulled it out of the bag in spectacular style, and Lothaire screwed it all up by being so Lothairish it was awesome (The heart scene? Pure Lothaire!) Yet I still totally felt his romance with Ellie. It was very honest, yet he never lurched in to 'tortured' or 'over-protective' hero mode. He was basically an arrogant idiot, and in several places I wanted to smack his head against the wall, but at the same time just loved everything he said. If there was ever someone who needed a bit of no-nonsense love (as oppose to doe-eyed adoration), it was Lothaire. But when he gets it? Boy, does he ever not have a clue what to do with it! Lothaire is the least 'heroic' hero Cole's ever written. I love how he does almost nothing to earn Ellie's forgiveness... yet he gets it anyway. The human character puts all the warring, vendetta-carrying immortals to shame. Ellie forgives Lothaire not because he's earned it... but because she likes him and wants him in her life, knowing that he'll probably always be like it. I think he realises how lucky he is though, in the end ;)

I'll admit I was a Nix/Lothaire supporter, and worried a little about Ellie. Who could possibly match Lothaire? And, at times, I think perhaps Ellie did pale a little in comparison to the Enemy of Old - as indeed almost everyone in the IAD series but Nix does. But instead of a powerful lore character, in Ellie, Cole gives us a powerful HUMAN - one we can identify with in a way we never can with her other heroines. She's basically trailer trash - and darn proud of it! She's not a wilting violet, and her very naivety about the lore is the one thing stopping her from quaking in her boots around Lothaire. She's got nothing to lose, she gives as good as she gets, and she's a complete ray of sunshine without being a sap. She's not princessy like Holly/Emmaline nor immortal-sassy like Regin/Sabine - she's a friendly, no-frills, inquisitive girl trying to make the best of what she's been given, making tough choices because she's brave in the way only a vulnerable person can really be, and finding happiness in the little things... things that Lothaire forgot about millenia ago. I can totally see why she floored him!

A special shout out to Nix, who was lovely as ever. I can't wait to see who she ends up with. I have my suspicions but who can say? Cole keeps pulling surprise after surprise out of the bag in this series. Thad was also fantastic - how cute that big bad Lothaire has a soft spot for these sweet, naive, ray-of-sunshine humans (or baby immortals).

I prefer the faster, more plot-based pacing of Dreams of a Dark Warrior or No Rest for the Wicked, and Lothaire slowed down again and was more reminiscent of the Neomie/Conrad relationship. But, as we discovered in the last book, Lothaire is dreamiest to read when he's doing very little at all. This is the most quotable of all her books, so many I'm not even gonna try. Another great IAD - well done Kresley!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 1 Jan 2013
This review is from: Lothaire (Immortals After Dark) (Mass Market Paperback)
Complex storyline. A page turner. Brilliant and emotional..Intelligent. Funny.Very sexy. Kresley Cole is my favourite writer of all time ever.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good But Not as Good as I Hoped, 11 Jan 2012
Donna Myers "Book Worm" (North East, England) - See all my reviews
This review is actually for the hardback edition but as Amazon says it hasn't been released yet it won't let me post a review. Even though I pre-ordered it off Amazon and received it yesterday!

I'm not going to give away any spoilers as I don't want to ruin it for anybody. But here's a short blurb.

Lothaire, as we all know is the `Enemy of Old'. He is the bastard child of the King of the Horde. He promised his Dacian vampire mother before she was tortured and killed that he would slay his father so the Horde will swear fealty to Lothaire. He then plans to unite the Dacian and Horde kingdoms together.

Elizabeth is from a poor mining family in the Appalachian Mountains. She became possessed by a demon Saroya at the age of 19 and has been fighting to get rid of her ever since. She is strong enough to keep Saroya hidden deep but every now and again she manages to break free and during these times kills and mutilates people. Elizabeth therefore ends up on Death Row.

When Lothaire meets Elizabeth he becomes blooded but he assumes his bride is Saroya not Elizabeth as fate wouldn't be so unkind as to give him a mortal bride. Therefore he needs to find a magical ring which will extinguish Elizabeth's soul thus allowing Saroya to take full possession of the body and Lothaire can then make her immortal by turning her into a vampire.

I really enjoyed this book, though it's not as good as I'd hoped it would be. This is the book all `Immortals' readers have been waiting for, the same as `Acheron' by Sherilyn Kenyon. When something is as hotly anticipated as these books they very rarely live up to expectations.

For those of you who are trying to work out who the heroine is, don't bother, Elizabeth is a complete newcomer. And I quite liked her, even with her trailer trash background and inability to speak properly. She uses the word `yourn' instead of `your' a lot which I found quite annoying. She is in parts feisty and vulnerable and used to like to `park' with boys, a lot! Though she is a virgin, of course!

Now Lothaire, I've loved him in previous books, evil, antagonistic, murderous, sarcastic. He's not really evil in this book, doesn't really do anything too bad, though I suppose Ms Cole had to tone it down a bit otherwise he wouldn't make a very good hero! He does the usual nasty things to the heroine but he mostly redeems himself in the end. Though if I was her, a couple of things he did, I would have left him staked out for the sun.

The main problem I had with this book is that all the problems are wrapped up without too much effort. I'm not going to give away any spoilers but one of the main issues of the book? Oh, she's turned up and it just so happens there's a history there and she's going to do that to her which sorts that out, great. Oh, and the place he wants to find? Sorted, they'll take him. And, that thing he wants to do with that? No effort involved and it works out perfectly. It all seemed too easy really.

There are also a couple of errors, the most glaring was during a sex scene where he ejaculates over his stomach although she's currently performing oral sex on him! Don't know how that works unless she's got a hole in the back of her head. The sex scenes were very sexy as you would expect with Ms Cole, no complaints there at all.

To sum up, I really enjoyed this book but it didn't blow my mind like I was hoping it would. There are a few new characters introduced (Dacian Vampires) and I think from trawling the internet that they may be part of a new series? I would very much like to read a series about them as they sound very interesting.

I would recommend people getting this book, it is well worth a read. Just don't expect any serious issues that need to be resolved with old characters like in previous books. You hardly hear about the old characters at all, a couple turn up for a page or two but nothing major. Mainly Nix, who is getting worse and I think her head is about to explode.

Can I also just add, I am not happy that I had to buy the hardback version of this book as the paperback version isn't coming out until August. If this is the way Ms Cole is going to treat her fans from now on then I won't be buying any more of her books on principle. I don't like being forced into paying more for a hardback just so I can read the next book in the series I am following. Shame on you Ms Cole.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 22 Jan 2012

Let me first say that Lothaire and Ellie through the book became some of my favorite characters in the series. Both are clever and creative when dealing with whatever life throws at them, and they do make an enjoyable couple (at times). A few of the other characters we meet, Thad, the Hag, Nix and La Dorada especially, were entertaining and revealed glimpses of really intriguing plots to come, but most minor characters remained part of the background, which was a shame. The book also contains a lot of information about vampires in the lore and their history.

However, the book suffers from a number of problems. Firstly, Lothaire is one of the books strengths, but also one of its greatest weaknesses. Lothaire is cunning, dry humored, selfish, arrogant, ruthless and evil, all things that make him the interesting character he has been. But while these traits are what make him so great, it also makes him a terrible leading man in a romance novel. He is hard to relate to, sympathize with or even like in a significant portion of the book. Also, he doesn't interact all that much with Ellie, and in fact, the romance part of the story is barely visible until the end.

My second problem with the book is the fact that the first half of the book was almost exclusively expositional, acting as an incredibly long, dragged out setup for the actual story. I love Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series, her books have always been really entertaining and engaging, but the first 200 pages of "Lothaire" were dull and pretty pointless.

Third problem was the plot. It was a mess, a tangle of cheesy, predictable and convenient plotlines and resolutions.

All in all, this is the weakest book in the entire series. Cole's writing is still awesome, and the humor and sexiness is still great the few times it actually does appear, and again, loved the characters. Ellie is probably one of my favorite female characters in this series, a strong and cunning woman who doesn't use cussing, physical violence or throw tantrums whenever she needs to express herself. She really stands out from the valkyries and witches, who often come off as really over-the-top and unrealistic. This book has some really great things going for it, but it is such a mess. This is the first book of the series I am not interested in re-reading, at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it., 11 Jan 2012
P. E. Kenworthy "books&films" (Felixstowe UK) - See all my reviews
I got the book yesterday and could not put it down until I knew the outcome of this epic battle. I love the story line. Very well thought out and it is so so so sexy to read. I do love all the books in this series however this one has kept the promise as a 5* read and I will read it again and again.

I cant wait for the next book in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional!, 8 Jan 2014
I've just finished my second read of this book and it was even better than the first, something that I rarely find with books.

I was so worried that this book would reveal Lothaire's mis-understood, soft side to make him more likable as a hero.....it REALLY didn't. I love how he remains an arrogant, insane ass the whole way through and it just made me love him all the more. I found Ellie so amazing as the lead female, at no point did I find myself wanting to yell 'why would you do that?' at her, she reacts to the situations in a totally believable way (to my mind anyway!). She's witty, strong and totally the right choice to pair up with Lothaire. The sex is hot and not run of the mill, which I thought was another great feature of the story.

I can see myself revisiting this book again and again and not getting bored.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of my favouite, 25 Jan 2013
Strangly had no big expectations of this installment, I think there were a couple of books in the series that I didn't like that much (The Warlord wants forever - that one wasn't good..). However this is was just brilliant! The whole plot is just fabulous (Ellie/Soraya - what a great idea!) and Lothaire is just the best character ever. I really believed the whole thing with the attraction (snap, rubber band!) Let's face it we love a bad guy, especially when he is criminally good looking and unbelievably arrogant. My god you just want to hit and shake him (and then be ravished by him...sigh). So much brilliant dialog and one liners("I'm no expert with females"--the others rolled their eyes at that--"but I believe an attempted decapitation communicates the need for some space")- I laughed so much. One of my favourites in the series. Loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't wait for the next Kresley Cole book, 24 Jan 2013
An engrossing read that we at last we find out about Lothaire in detail about why he is like he is. You want to cry and get your own back so badly at times. This brings us up to date, but can we have more Lothaire in the future?

5.0 out of 5 stars Lotharie, 13 Jan 2013
Still a good read in the series kresley Cole. Defiantly worth the read if you liked the other Books. Hope this helps

Lothaire (Immortals After Dark)
Lothaire (Immortals After Dark) by Kresley Cole (Mass Market Paperback - 19 Jun 2012)
4.67