‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshingly honest perspective on self-acceptance, 20 April 2013
This review is from: Out with it: How Stuttering Helped Me Find My Voice (Hardcover)
In her refreshingly honest memoir, Katherine Preston gives a new depth to an issue that the outside, non-stuttering world has rarely come across. In Out With It, the reader is taken on a Katherine's own journey of stuttering (also known as stammering) from the age of 7 years old to present day. But the story is also interwoven with information and quotes from researchers, speech therapists, famous people affected by stuttering/stammering and ordinary stories - taken from interviews with over 100 people across the USA.

I have a stammer/stutter and work in a charity that helps those affected by the issue, so the last thing I normally want to do this spend my free time reading about it too. But when give the opportunity to read this book, I was absorbed in Katherine's story and like a previous reviewer, read the book in two days. It made me laugh out load while reading it on the underground, and helped me to a have a fresh positive perspective othe journey of self-acceptance everyone goes through.

I'd recommend this book to anyone, not only those who have experience of stuttering or are curious about it. The book stands alone as a good read. Buy it, read it and appreciate imperfection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, 19 Jan 2014
I have a stammer and when I heard that Katherine was going to be a guest at one of our support group meetings I ordered this book and was pleased that it arrived on the day of our meeting meaning I could get my copy signed. Katherine's talk to us about this book was excellent so I began to read through the chapters. I laughed and even shed the odd tear as I read this excellent book. A must read for any person who stammers or who has an interest in the subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars Women who Stutter, 19 Jan 2014
I am a woman who stammers, we are a relatively rare breed and I loved this book. I could relate to it, albeit I'm much older than Katherine. It's an interesting debate as to whether women react differently to stammering. I'm sure all people who stammer will enjoy and find common experiences in it. Out with It joins the select group of books which describe stammering and what it's like to stammer really well for people who stammer and just as importantly for everyone else. I agree with a previous reviewer, this book should be in the memoir section, like David Mitchell's Black Swan Green, it's a great read for anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A touching and very funny debut memoir., 18 April 2013
A. Johnson "AJinDubai" (Dubai, UAE) - See all my reviews
Katherine's debut novel is sure to make you laugh, make you think and make you finish it without putting it down- all the elements I need in a good book! I read Out With It in 2 days, getting sucked in to Katherine's story and wondering how it would all turn out for her. I particularly enjoyed how thought provoking it was. I remember back to my days at University, full of anguish about how others felt about me and how I was being perceived. I have never been someone to notice a stutter. I have a couple of friends who stutter and it's not something I have ever paid any attention to. It made me realise that we all dwell on what we perceive to be our negative traits, whilst others are far too busy to be worrying about their own things to be concerned with ours.
Katherine is very very funny. I won't spoil the storyline, but highly recommend you read this beautifully written memoir. I saw another review written by a stutterer that said this should be recommended reading in schools. I couldn't agree more!
I am sure we will be seeing plenty more from this gifted wordsmith. Congratulations Katherine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 11 Mar 2014
Absolutely brilliant from the start! I was able to relate to some parts of the book which made it easy to understand.

Now when I think if it, my friend who doesn't stammer has borrowed it. I hope she enjoys it as much as I enjoyed it!

Well done Katherine!

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspirational read, 9 Feb 2014
Katherine tells a wise tale of exploration, acceptance, and love. Her voice is amusingly frank as she reflects on her life with a stutter. Katherine introduces some great characters and enticing places in her search for a 'cure'. I put the book down feeling wonderfully optimisitc, reminded that difference really is the spice of life. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this well written and engaging story and would highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it. After reading it felt like every stuttered word i'd ever lost, had been handed back to me..., 4 Feb 2014
Katherine shows what it means to face your inner demons. The original Greek translation for demonic isn't negative, it's the dynamic of life... our inner demon is the dynamic of our lives. Katherine epitomises this by turning what was once perceived as her biggest weakness, into a strength. If you stutter, or have a loved one who stutters - or have your own inner demon, then this book will take you on a journey, where you end up kissing your inner demon and finding out that it too, is vulnerable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest, caring and well written, 1 Feb 2014
Such a wonderful and personal journey. This book is a great read whether you are interested in the subject of stuttering or not. Its a wonderful story of self-acceptance and finding one's self. Well written and well paced.

For those people that are interested in the subject of stuttering and stammering, then this is a must must read. The author is not employed by any organization and is not promoting any kind of therapy, rather she is outlining the role of self-acceptance for a speech disorder that has no cure and the cause is still unknown. Many people have stammers/stutters but in the nature of the impediment its rarely spoken about and when it is in the spot light it is often in the context of exaggeration, myth, innuendo and poor and inaccurate portrayals for cheap comic and/or sympathy effect. This wonderful book and story is the remedy to these historic public perspectives.

Well done Katherine Preston! Bravo! I will be looking to read further works of yours, whether they are about stammering or not stammering.

Must Must read

5.0 out of 5 stars YOU REALLY SHOULD READ THIS, 31 Oct 2013
C. Mackintosh "chrism" (Selby,UK) - See all my reviews
If you stammer like me or even if you don't, this is the one book you should read. Fabulous and truly inspirational.
A word of warning though - you'll be fed up when you finish it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharing, 18 Oct 2013
D. Lambert (Liverpool, England.) - See all my reviews
I discovered Katherine's book whilst it was casually leaning against neighbouring text books on autism and many other neurological conditions, sharing space on a library shelf. The cover made me laugh. Surely this book had been misfiled? How many of us have heard that familiar shout during our young lives, usually preceded by the words ...come on then, OWI..? It usually appertains to a story 'demanding' to be told by someone 'in charge'. I did not pay much heed to the secondary heading before curiosity won.
I took this book home with me and comfortably read it in one day. Comfortable not with the regularly profound emotional impact Katherine shares with us but with her delectable friendship with fluency and her tremendous ability to share her real world with an audience of strangers. This book will teach, even though it is not a text book. Magic.
It should be sitting with its friends on the memoirs shelf, not where I found it, out of reach on a dusty academic shelf, out of sight to people who would really enjoy the writing, and learn more about a subject that is 'demanding' to be heard.
Wonder how long we have to wait before Katherine is employed on translating the book to film?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Out with it: How Stuttering Helped Me Find My Voice
Out with it: How Stuttering Helped Me Find My Voice by Katherine Preston (Hardcover - 4 July 2013)
12.82