on 18 April 2014
The book is good, but I gave it 1 star as to warn you that in UK the title of it is "RIP IT UP". I have bought this as I liked "RIP..." thinking it will be something different. I have no idea why the publisher change the title here in UK. Very misleading, hence 1 star.
on 7 April 2013
I had already read most of this book when it was published under the name 'Rip it up', so I was disappointed that this was not new material. However, it is a very interesting and useful perspective which is of great practical application to my work as a hypnotherapist. The thesis, which is backed up with loads of research, is that changing your physical behaviour changes the way you think and feel. eg If you smile you feel better (even if you don't know you're smiling!). If you stand up straight you feel more confident etc. We tend to assume that it's the other way round.
on 17 March 2016
Most of us have been raised on the idea that if we change the way we think, we will change the way we feel, and that can be harder than it looks, especially to those who are seeking to develop mental or physical health strategies to overhaul bad mental habits. The suggestion in this book is that actually altering your behaviour will cause a shift in your perspective/thoughts and you will feel differently because you are behaving differently. The writer ensures he gives a sound scientifically theoretical background as it's an idea that would be otherwise easy to scoff at given our greater familiarity with the 'change your thinking, change your behaviour' . The book proves its ideas, then you are encouraged to actively give it a go throughout. I put aside my feelings of self consciousness and did just that. It felt odd, a bit fraudulent at first, but then anyone who genuinely needs to change themselves to live stronger, happier lives would try most 'cures' I think, so why not this! Tap into your amateur dramatics, it's fun to do, causes no harm and as simple as it is obvious...it works!
on 2 March 2013
I wish I had the option of not giving this book any stars. Very pedantic. Rambling. Little or no practical application. Lots of history on psychology and the different founders beliefs. Explains in detail experiments that could have been conveyed in two sentences. Lots of padding to make this a book. If you want to feel happier the AS if principle says to smile. Smile when you are sad and you will start to feel better (seriously that is the theory. ) don't don't waste your money on this book. And it wouldn't have been so bad if the book had said that right out but the author talks round and round on it to make it sound like a new and revolutionary practice. I just couldn't get past the 2nd chapter.
on 14 April 2013
Really well written and informative book for anyone interested in practical psychology. Wiseman explains the As If principle in a way that makes it real. I wasn't reading it to change my life but I do think this would be of practical benefit to anyone looking for a boost to their confidence.
on 7 December 2014
When I ordered this book I did not realise that it was an audiobook. I had intended to order a paperback copy. But I suppose that was my own stupid fault. When I tried to listen to it on my cd player it would not work. Again, my own stupid fault, I suppose. I then bought a cd-mp3 player in order to listen to it. However, the disc proved to be defective and kept skipping. The little that I could hear did not sound very interesting anyway. I suppose I should return the disc and demand a refund but really I cannot be arsed. I have read some of Wiseman's other books and I have now concluded that he has nothing original or interesting to say. He is a Wiseman by name but he is not a wise man by nature. When and if he reads this I am sure that he will cry all the way to the bank.
on 14 January 2015