4.0 out of 5 stars Otherworld Assassins: Last Kiss Goodnight

Published on 29 Mar. 2013 by mari

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Otherworld Assassins: Last Kiss Goodnight, 5 Mar. 2013
S. Wilson (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Last Kiss Goodnight: An Otherworld Assassin Novel (Mass Market Paperback)
I liked this book but didn't love it and to be honest I'm a bit disappointed with it. I think one of the other reviewers has described similar feelings/thoughts very well in that because Gena writes such good stories she sets the bar very high and for me this one just didn't meet her usual standard. The book is the first in a new series called Otherworld Assassins and is a spin off to the Alien Huntress series although I don't know why she didn't just add this to the AH series rather than creating a brand new one. Also I don't know if this is meant to be a YA book or not but for me the love scenes lacked their usual detail and 'steaminess'.
The book follows Solomon (Solo) Judah who is as the series name advises an Otherworld Assasin. He along with two otherworlders make up an elite assassin black ops team who at the beginning of the book are part of an explosion attack which leaves what happens to the other two unknown and Solo captured to become part of a Circus as an 'animal' attraction. Solo has immense strength and undergoes a change when he is upset or angry into a red skinned devil looking otherworlder however the owner of the circus that has captured him has cuffs on him that keep him and the otherworlders sedated to stop them escaping. Solo's love interest is the daughter of the owner, Vika Lukas who is at her Fathers mercy and must do his bidding or else face his wrath which has already cost her her hearing. Vika dreams of running away and starting a new life and is desperately saving up to enable her to do so when Solo is brought to the circus. There is something about him that draws her and he in turn feels the same about her. So will she risk all to save him and the Otherworlders or save herself and stick to her original plan?
I agree with some of the other reviews in that this is definitely a darker turn for Gena and my heart did go out to Vika but I still couldn't understand why she put up with the years of abuse and for this reason I struggled to connect to her. Solo's character drew me in straight away and I didn't really have any problems seeing where his character came from. I did like that Dallas made an appearance even though it was very brief but this book is definitely set apart form the AH series in that this was really the only character crossover other than Corbin Blue being introduced briefly also. I will look out for the next in the series but I do hope that it will have the Gena spark back in it otherwise I won't be pursuing this series any further and will stick with my known and loved series' such as LOTU and Alien Huntress. An okay read don't get me wrong but not my favourite of Gena's.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, 29 Mar. 2013
I was really looking forward to reading this on my kindle as im a great fan of Gena Showalter and have read all her books but i was very disappointed in this especially as this is a start to a new series. At the start of the book it feels very rushed as if it has been squashed into the beginning about Micheal talking about the thee men who works for him but it explains nothing about what they do for him only that he trained them. The rest of the book takes place in the circus of monsters with the main character solo trapped in a cage like an animal in a zoo, i found it to be very dark and vita came across very child like so i didn't like the main characters, maybe that was why i didn't like the book but i thought it would have had some similarities to the alien huntress series with this book being a spinoff from that series. I have read the reviews and it seems a lot of them are dispointed as well. I don't think i will pre order the next in the series until ive read the reviews.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Otherworld Assassins" series book 1, 16 Feb. 2014
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
An offshoot of this author's "Alien Huntress" series, this book introduces a small new group of heroes. Solomon (Solo) Judah and his 2 friends are part of a black ops team. Solo's role is "clean-up", ensuring any signs of an assassination are removed from the scene. When he, his friends and their boss Michael are caught in an explosion, Solo has no idea if they survived. Regaining conscious, Solo finds himself a prisoner in a circus; joining a number of Otherworlders to provide entertainment for humans. Solo is a beast of a man; more so when he loses his temper, and morphs into a red skinned, fanged, clawed, devil when angered. Yet even his formidable strengthen may not be enough to ensure his survival. 24 hours after his capture Solo cannot believe he hasn't yet escaped. Yet he's cuffed with an alien mental which pumps drugs into his system if his emotions become too strong and he can't leave the other captive Otherworlders to such a grim fate.

Leading lady Vika is an unusual heroine. She's not the obvious feisty strong female this author normally creates; instead she is browbeaten by her father's abuse and keeps her future rescue and escape plans quiet rather than rush head first into danger. Yet as more of Vika's past is uncovered, the reader can understand her reluctance and fear to face her father, and admire the fact she continues to covertly help the Otherworld prisoners even when they don't understand what she is doing and tar her with the same brush as her sadistic father.

There is enough action to entertain, and the "Beauty and the Beast" romance between Solo and Vika works well. It may not be the passion filled relationship filled with amusing verbal sparring you would expect this author to produce, but Vika calms Solo's beast, whilst he gives her strength and courage and toughens her up a little. I would have liked a deeper look at Solo's heritage, and I thought some of the fellow alien captives could have been given more character. They are predominantly (and understandably angry) but only a small amount have their circumstances explained.

1.0 out of 5 stars Was this the same author??, 23 May 2013
C. Woolford "charliewoolf" (london , UK) - See all my reviews
I was soooo disappointed I have read free books that are far better than this, I am just glad I got it at the library.
There was no chemistry between the characters and the whole book felt passionless and stale. While reading it I just felt like it didn't have anything to do with Gena and her previous books.

1.0 out of 5 stars What is happening with this author??, 12 Mar. 2013
This book is really awful - don't waste youur time or money. Is it written for children? Where are the trademark brilliant plots, sassy heriones and scorching hot sex scenes? The last book by Gena was also like this. I could'nt finish this book it was so disapointing. Please Gena go back to your usual style.

3.0 out of 5 stars Last kiss goodnight, 11 May 2013
I was really looking forward to reading this book because
I have read all the Alien Huntress books and love them but I was very disappointed with book I found it long winded, boring and very repetitive. The heroine very weak the whole storyline was very weak. It took me a whole week to finish this book when usually I can't put put down a book once I start reading, normally finish in a day.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun spinoff, 10 Jan. 2015
I'm going to start by saying how much I LOVE the cover of Last Kiss Goodnight, it's stunning (I think it's the colour contrast). Also the first thing I noticed was that Vika and Solo's story is a lot cleaner than I was expecting due to past Gena Showalter books *ahem* Lords of the Underworld, but it was actually a nice shift to focus on the tension and building romance rather than just smut.

I love the idea of aliens being present and living amongst us, of course they have to be hot and bad ass. I haven't read Showalter's Alien Huntress series which I believe this is a kind of spin-off from, but it worked well as a standalone and I didn't have any problems with missing plot details. In my head the Otherworld Assassins are like hot alien versions of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (I promise this makes more sense when you read the book). Solo is fierce, strong and kinda misunderstood - I liked him instantly and appreciated his willingness to look after Vika and others who needed it. Upon first glance he's angry and vicious but when you consider his circumstances, backstory and the treatment of the people at the 'zoo' it all makes sense.

I liked Vika and (horrible circumstances aside) I did think she relied on Solo a little too much, even after professing to wanting to be independent and not trust or rely on any men. She's sweet and innocent and I appreciated the slow curiosity she develops and the compassion she displays to all the 'monsters' at the zoo.

I would also have liked a slightly more developed ending considering the book isn't exactly short, but I appreciated the slow burn Showalter includes. Now I want to know what happens to the other aliens...

I won the book as part of a giveaway prize.

3.0 out of 5 stars Female and 60+, 18 Mar. 2013
Last Kiss Goodnight: Not one of the best Gena Showalter has written, It was okay but it could have been better. I will still continue to buy her books, especially if related to the Lords of the Underworld

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 13 Sept. 2014
I did like the first book in the otherworld series. Not the usual for Gena Showalter but well worth reading. What went on in the circus was quite distressing but overall I liked the story line. Will quite likely buy the next in the series.

Although different, would still recommend to Gena Showalter's fans.

2.0 out of 5 stars So Let Down, 8 Mar. 2013
I gave this book a low rating because i didnt enjoy it. I found myself so bored and frustrated thoughtout most of the book that i put it downs for days. I thought I would enjoy this like I enjoyed her other books unfortunatly i didn't like it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Last Kiss Goodnight: An Otherworld Assassin Novel
Last Kiss Goodnight: An Otherworld Assassin Novel by Gena Showalter (Mass Market Paperback - 17 Jan. 2013)
Used & New from: £0.01