5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Buy
I bought this book as a fan of Mayim's but on reading it discovered that all the choices we made over the last 2 years as new parents actually made us AP parents. Its not a "you need to do this and that" type of book. It is a "this is what worked for us take what you need" type of book.
Published on 26 Jun. 2012 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars But the book absolutely does read like a manual
Published 3 months ago by Greenleaf

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Buy, 26 Jun. 2012
Being a neuroscientist helped Mayim explain exactly why she was doing what she was doing and what effect it had on the hormones. I didnt do everything she did in the book but it just reiterated that the choices we made were perfectly natural.

2.0 out of 5 stars But the book absolutely does read like a manual, 13 Nov. 2014
In the preface of Beyond the Sling it says that the book is specifically not a parenting manual, but a tool to inform parents, using the author (Mayim Bialik)'s experiences. But the book absolutely does read like a manual, with a few statements of 'we did this' but mostly prescriptive 'you need to do this' approach. I'm confused by how prescriptive it is, in fact, and who it is aimed at. After all, I've done or am doing all of the things listed in the book - co-sleeping, babywearing, home educating, staying at home with the kids, breastfeeding - we're even a home-educating vegan family, as is Mayim's. But the book is still too prescriptive for me!

For a start, I dislike the tone Mayim uses to make small points, and how many of them are blown into much larger, scarier points about how doing/not doing X thing will probably have negative Y results for the child. To some extent this is true, but for a much clearer, more positive and less sensational book on the same subject, I recommend Why Love Matters by Sue Gerhardt.

Secondly, Mayim frequently refers to her background in neuroscience, but without ever clearly referencing the research she is working from. The reader is simply meant to trust her arguments and interpretations, because of her past profession. Although there are some studies cited in the back of the book, they are not linked in the book where Mayim describes them. I think this is disappointing for a book that claims to be based on solid science.

I agree with most of what Mayim says in the book, but not the way she presents the information. She claims to be writing a personal book about her family, but most of what she writes about is refuting mainstream parenting habits. Yes, she is telling her own story, but she is also asserting that her's is the right approach because she has researched it all. Mayim focuses heavily on the bad reasons for doing certain things, with only a single, AP-based alternative for the parent to follow, which seems unfair as some parents simply do have to work or can't breastfeed etc..This is not a supportive book.

I also think that, overall, the book makes Attachment Parenting (AP) looks a bit militant, as if providing the most love and care for your child has to be approached in this tick-box fashion. Anyone who is new to AP will surely be daunted and put off by this book. Anyone who is already doing it may come away feeling smug - but I didn't. I'm simply disappointed, because this could have been an excellent resource and empowering tool for parents, but it doesn't make the grade in either regard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Book, 30 May 2013
This review is from: Beyond the Sling: A Real-Life Guide to Raising Confident, Loving Children the Attachment Parenting Way (Paperback)
This book is the best parenting guide I have ever read, and I've read a fair few!! It's so easy to read, there aren't long case studies, every suggestion is backed by evidence in language easy to understand, I think this book would be perfect for those expecting a baby right up to parents with older children, my children are 3 and 6 and I have got lots from it, I just wish I had found it sooner. Cannot recommend it enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended read for parents who care!, 4 May 2013
Mayim provides a very accessible account of her and her husbands take on attachment parenting with their two boys! Non- judgemental nor prescriptive or instructive; this book provides a warm, humorous and encouraging prose for those who lean towards an attachment parenting style!

5.0 out of 5 stars Every pregnant lady needs this book!, 22 Dec. 2014
Nicola (Aberdeen, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The chapter headings may seem a bit daunting, but Bialik's casual and friendly writing style drew me in. I'm due my first baby in July 2015 and I've always felt there was something inherently wrong with how we approach parenting our babies (as a UK citizen).

I can't wait to have a natural homebirth, bond through breastfeeding and have my baby close to me night and day. I can't imagine a more natural way to be a mother. No crying it out, harsh discipline or unnecessary stuff for my little one. Thanks to this book I am confident in myself and that from the beginning, my maternal instincts were there and worth listening to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, informative and funny, 20 Jun. 2012
Over the last year I have bought a lot of parenting - particularly attachment style - books in a hope to give my child the best possible start in life. This book is brilliant, it is so well written. She is matter of fact and funny at the same time. I found myself nodding and agreeing with everything she wrote about. It is a lovely book for reminding yourself why you have chosen a tiring but extremely rewarding style of parenting. It also threw up lots of questions from baby wearing, and co-sleeping to baby healthcare and vaccines. It's comforting hearing a personal story that I can completely relate to and knowing that I'm not the only one doing this. She has witty comments for any cynics you might come across and has done so much research. Coming from a scientific background made me feel comforted that she is an expert in her field. Having done all the research for us it is brilliant that she has collated it into one place.

A heartwarming, excellent book which I cannot recommend enough. I also found Attachment Parenting, Three in a bed, Continuum Concept, unconditional parenting, and anything by Dr Sears and John Holt really helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars i wish there were more stars to give, 24 Mar. 2013
Im gonna be honest here: i dont really like her as an actress. But the book she wrote: LOVE it. Well researched, not too pushy, well written, funny. Excellent read on attachment parenting, I really hope more and more people will buy this book and read it. This book is perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars good imaginative useful gift, 28 Mar. 2013
This book was an excellent present for new parents who have been given everything else they need - they loved it

5.0 out of 5 stars Very honest and reassuring, 29 July 2014
FM Douglas (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Very honest, warts and all, experiences of attachment parenting. Also not dogmatic, but clear that parents need to do what they are comfortable with. Personally I agree entirely that attachment parenting not only 'feels' right but now has the research to back it up, though our consumer culture does not in any way value that, so it can be a battle, but one that is worth the struggle!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really great read, 27 Jun. 2014
It's great to read about an mum sharing her way of parenting, you might not agree with it all but also you might pick up some things that are new to you and you like the sound of. My book has been passed around a few mummy friends and no one is yet to say they thought it was bad, everyone has felt drawn to different aspects of her style. I really enjoyed it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›