5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book
This book was a departure from Rob Thurmans usual storytelling, I found it very good and would recommend it to all her fans and anybody new to her books.
Published 14 months ago by Ms. F. Drew

I know that it's practically blasphemous that I didn't like this but it just didn't work for me for a bunch of reasons. I don't think that I'm a Rob Thurman kinda gal as I tried reading the Leandros brothers & really struggled and DNF book 3 of that series. I thought I would try it again at some point but after reading this, I know I won't bother.

I really...
Published on 12 Aug 2012 by Lmb

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 19 Aug 2013
Ms. F. Drew - See all my reviews
This review is from: All Seeing Eye (Mass Market Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars great psy book, 7 Dec 2012
This review is from: All Seeing Eye (Kindle Edition)
The reason why I gave it 4 rather than 5 stars is mainly because the book while a good psy novel, is also horror and while the whole book is very well written that much death is not really my taste but it is really well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, Enjoyable Novel!, 28 Aug 2012
This review is from: All Seeing Eye (Kindle Edition)
There is at least one negative review of this novel. I decided to read it anyway and I'm really glad that I did. Jackson Eye is blessed or cursed with Psychometry after a tragedy which blighted his young life. He discovers the dead body of his baby sister, Tess, dumped in a well and when he tells his mother that his stepfather killed her, she flips out and trys to kill him. After his stepfather grabs the knife and kills his mother, Jackson goes for the shotgun and shoots his stepfather.

He and his surviving baby sister are thrown into care. (As usual the fictional image of children lost in the American State system is far from positive.) He ends up in a Home and it is there he meets Charlie, who is a fellow sufferer in this children's hell. Fleeing the home, he ends up at a carnival and from there develops a career as a psychic.

His surviving sister, Glory, gets into trouble and he is blackmailed by the Government into helping rescue a secret military project which has gone tragically wrong, ending in the death of Jackson's former room mate Charlie. With the help of Charlie's younger brother Hector, Jackson must prevent further tragedy while dealing with his own issues.

I confess I cried. I found it a really well written book and I really hope Rob Thurman takes the character further.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 3 Aug 2012
This review is from: All Seeing Eye (Kindle Edition)
Rob Thurman once again delivers another excellent, plot driven story with All Seeing Eye. The main character, Jackson Lee Eye, is another snarky, sharp witted man similar to Cal Leandros but with his own distinct voice. Jackson is a psychic whose background is anything but pleasant, his mother and younger sister where murdered by his stepfather and in turn he kills his stepfather. This even triggers his psychic ability of pscyhometry as touching his baby sister's shoe reveals to him that she had been murdered. Jackson swears to protect his other sister Glory but a life in a state home and then on the run mean that this is not in the cards. The only positive that Jackson can remember from the state home is his roommate Charlie Allgood who he has affection for even if he does his best to deny it. Years later that brief friendship comes back to haunt him when Charlie's brother Hector turns up and blackmails him into helping with a government run scientific project gone wrong. Charlie is dead and it was murder but because of the nature of the experiment is trapped in a post life limbo that wrecks havoc on sites where murders occured. Hector is taking a wild bet that Jackson's psychometry will help him find out why Charlie died and most importantly help stop Charlie's spirit and let him be at peace. Jackson is forced to use his talents to defend both himself and in the end Hector and a few other people as the plot thickens and more and more people seem out to get him and Hector who, despite his best efforts, becomes a friend and someone he can trust. Needless to say I am only giving a bare bones plot outline here the story is complex and enthralling. Jackson and Hector are both fleshed out as fallible men both doing their best in a bad situation. I will admit I had a suspision as to who the bad guys could be before it was revealed by Thurman but the story was that enjoyable that I didn't mind and I was just interested in how it would come to pass. There are twists at the end that are unexpected, things that turn Jackson's life upside down and sideways but at the end of the story you feel that he has come to a good place, with people he counts as true friends and with a whole new reason to live. I hope that this isn't a stand alone book. I really want to find out how Jackson will deal with the fall out from the end of this book and what happens to him now that the government knows that there are real psychics out there. Having had him in their grasp once I can't see them leaving him alone if something requiring his talents should occur again. All in all and great read and one I would recommend to anyone who enjoys paranormal murder mysteries.

2.0 out of 5 stars Found it convoluted & the reveals unsurprising. Didn't like the MC either., 12 Aug 2012
This review is from: All Seeing Eye (Kindle Edition)

I really wanted to like this more than but it was a mixed bag and mainly I found it predictable (what? yes...I know but it was & I'll get into that), convoluted and tedious.

I am surprised at the high marks but I'm guessing that's for the end more than the overall structure which started off great but ended really poorly IMO.

There are some really great parts due to the fact that when she strips it back, tells more of the story and less of the MC's every emotion or thought, Thurman creates some really wonderful prose and imagery which keep it moving. Some bits are so strong that I want to underline them & put them on my quotes wall.

The thing with me & Thurman though is that I think she gets too descriptive & repetitive esp. portraying the MC's angst. This is where it started to stall for me at the 30% mark. The MC is extremely similar to the character of her other series, Cal Leandros and since he bored me with all of his constant emo angst, it's no wonder Jackson did too.

Both MC's are a bit too paranoid of an anti-hero than I'm attracted to because it just comes across as flippant and cavalier when we all know that down deep the character doesn't mean it because it's a defense mechanism. It keeps me from getting fully engrossed & keeps me at a distance because I find it treads water in the excuse for a self-pity party & really, if I don't care about the characters, esp. the Main, what's the point of reading?

The plot...wow, I thought this was really messy. It tried way too hard to be clever & something different but more than that I felt that Thurman was trying so hard to distract from the 2 big reveals she had up her sleeve & it became a bit of a hot mess and incongruent as a result. The flow was hard for me to follow.

Let's talk those 2 reveals...

**SPOILERS**

Here's where I personally thought Thurman really failed. As soon...I mean as soon as we met Eden on page, I knew she was the baddie. She was way too perky, nice & nurturing, In other words, the complete opposite of everyone else we've met in this book. Plus she sounded like a weird zealot underneath her nice words. Always chastising the people she worked with for having no manners etc. It was really odd. So....I figured she was going to be the 'unsuspecting' baddie.

Glory. Oh Glory, Glory, Glory.....of course she killed Tess! I think Thurman drew a map that couldn't have been any more obvious. I mean really...I know she gave the poor excuse of Jackson putting himself through hell because it was his only family but she also had him clearly tell the reader she was sociopathic & highly dangerous. Yet the biggest giveaway is that we had yet to meet her on page. As this continued, I knew that her arrival at the end was probably going to signify the "truth" finally coming out.

Thurman kept drumming home the evils of sociopaths via Thackery and yet Jackson is willing to go through the lengths he did over Glory? Then she had Jackson often talk about how lazy & stupid Boyd was yet there was never any motive for him to kill Tess that I could make sense of as a reader however, there was for Glory.

First...she was a sociopath that no one (except Tess in Jackson's limited - red herring - view) could get to and second, those shoes would be motive enough to drive a major sociopathic personality (at 5 years old) to hurt or kill and Thurman did such a big sales job focusing on the shoe, I thought it was pretty obvious it was Glory.

My last big issue aside from the lack of surprises in the book or how unattached I was to the characters was just how dense Jackson was. This guy can read anyone he wants. Considering he knew that as soon as they found out he was the genuine article or when he found out Charlie was murdered, his life would be forfeit, it took a damn long time for them to come up with the plan to have him read the staff!

Then the whole Charlie being lost mess, Hector & Meleah are magically in love & Charlie knew it, Fuji ghost, Tess neatly reincarnated, Charlie found by Tess etc., etc..

I don't know what the hell was going on in the end. It was all just too much to try and rectify legitimately IMO. It was convoluted, I was bored, I gave it the eye rolls, I almost gave up at the 75% mark & to get through the last 25% was a struggle.

All Seeing Eye
All Seeing Eye by Rob Thurman (Mass Market Paperback - 31 July 2012)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available