5.0 out of 5 stars Great common sense that we have to be told
I love it. This is great common sense that we have to be told as we ( I for one) seem to forget and need reminding.
Published 3 months ago by A H A ALESI

3.0 out of 5 stars not as smart as one would like
I was quite excited when the book arrived and couldn't wait to start reading it. At first I was impressed with the writing and the content but by the time I was about halfway through I was getting a tad bored. The point the writers are making is well explained in the first few chapters and after that it just seems to be repetition.
Published on 16 Mar 2012 by Lou Lou 2

3.0 out of 5 stars not as smart as one would like, 16 Mar 2012
This review is from: Smart Trust (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great common sense that we have to be told, 11 April 2014
A H A ALESI (Reading, Berkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars Repetitive, twee and not practicing what it preaches, 17 Dec 2013
This review is from: Smart Trust: The Defining Skill That Transforms Managers Into Leaders (Paperback)
I saw this book in an airport bookshop, and recent events at work had engendered in me a need to rebuild an ability to trust. This book seemed like the right recipe.

However as I read through this, I was somewhat disappointed. I give it two stars because it does state some truisms about trust - that trusted people will perform more effectively, trust has to be granted before it can be earned, and the need to trust without being gullible and so on. However, it takes over 260 pages to say what could be communicated in a 5-page essay. It is highly repetitive, it reverse engineers success stories to imply that trust was the main driver and motivator of the success, it speaks to many examples (some personal) which are at best tangential to the question of trust.

Given it's desperation to find examples of great acts of trust in the public sphere, it is surprising it does not pick up Nelson Mendela's release and his subsequent endorsement of the "rainbow nation" - in my opinion possibly the greatest act of "smart trust" on both sides in the 20th Century and maybe many more. Detractors may well respond that Mandela had no choice given the collapse of the Soviet Union, but he still had to trust the Apartheid era politicians and the people of South Africa (of all colours) not to take the law into their own hands.

The book also makes some simple blunders that should have been picked up during proofing - e.g. it states that Denmark (with a lower population than London) has the 5th highest GDP in the world. Even if the book intended to state that Denmark has the 5th highest GDP per capita in the world, that would be wrong. The example of Mark Zuckerberg backtracking on a verbal agreement is hardly one of trust !

So plenty wrong with the book on the readability side, but what irritated me most of all was the clear play on the Covey name. I had not realised there was a Covey Junior (shame on me) and am not one for reading "acknowledgements" in any detail. However even re-reading the acknowledgements section, it does not refer to Dr Covey there either. Thus, as mentioned by another reviewer, Covey Junior is stealthily exploiting the brand his father has built. Nothing wrong with that per se, but not making this explicit is an act of betrayal of the trust of the reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart Trust, 9 Feb 2012
Rolf Dobelli "getAbstract" (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The Maghribi traders had the right idea: To capitalize on lucrative business opportunities amid the chaotic political and social climate of the Middle East in the 10th century, these merchants formed an economic system that spanned miles, cultures, and governments - all based on handshakes. Leadership experts Stephen M.R. Covey and Greg Link (working with writer Rebecca Merrill) offer the story of the Maghribis to set the stage for their innovative "Smart Trust" strategy, which helps people create, maintain and leverage high-trust relationships and business environments in today's "low-trust world." They explore why people trust and why they don't, why some people adopt the wrong kinds of trust, and how trust shapes your perceptions. In this well-researched, logically organized presentation, the authors draw from their experiences and those of numerous firms and individuals to show how trust can raise your "prosperity, energy and joy." getAbstract believes this inspiring work could motivate you to take "the lead in extending trust" to enhance your professional and personal relationships - and you can trust us on that.

Smart Trust: The Defining Skill That Transforms Managers Into Leaders
Smart Trust: The Defining Skill That Transforms Managers Into Leaders by Rebecca R. Merrill (Paperback - 3 Sep 2013)
10.11