5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!!
One of my favorite Star Trek novels, if not the best one!! I loved this story, it had everything I read the Star Trek books for. Technobabble and technology, great characters, interesting story that was in depth but moved along at a good pace. I was very disappointed when it finished, I wanted it to keep going. Great job Mr Mack, looking forward to the rest of the trilogy.
Published on 13 Nov 2012 by Paul

3.0 out of 5 stars OK... but too much too soon (contains spoilers)
Published 15 months ago by Tim

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!!, 13 Nov 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 5 Dec 2012
Enjoyed his book ,loved how in star trek anything is possible, David Mack Is such a good author and this genre suits him to a tee

5.0 out of 5 stars A great start to a new trilogy, 21 Nov 2012
Jim J-R (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cold Equations 1: The Persistence of Memory (Star Trek: The Next Generation) (Mass Market Paperback)
David Mack returns to epic Trek novelling with the first book in his Cold Equations trilogy, which sees the Enterprise called to investigate a shocking theft/kidnapping and follows this up with some surprising, heart-warming and intriguing events that once again might just change the Trek universe forever.

Mack's style is strong and easy to read. I wanted to dive in and not stop reading, which is always a bonus, and was particularly frustrated in the middle section at having to stop reading to go to sleep or work. His grip on the characters is perfect and I really enjoyed the first-person parts of the narrative.

This book is particularly focussed on one character, and some of the others seem a little under-represented, but hopefully that will be resolved in the sequels. Mack ties in with a lot of things from the various TV series - one of which I'd been thinking about just a few days before reading which made it a nice reference to come across. He's also relying a lot on events from the novel 'Immortal Coil' which I have to confess not to have read (yet).

The one weak point I thought was the final chapter, which didn't seem to quite fit, and I would have appreciated a little more before it, but I can understand that it was needed to set the scene a little for what will follow. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for book two - David Mack has certainly reminded me at least that he's one of the top Trek authors of all time.

5.0 out of 5 stars a perfect triple, 30 Nov 2013
B. S. Jones (UK) - See all my reviews
one of the best,innovative technically correct and thrilling books out of a trilogy I have read for some time. The first book in the series reminds me of the stainless steel rat stories of yeas ago.All of the other books in this trilogy are as good.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent read, 25 Oct 2013
I chose this book by David Mack after reading his Star Trek Destiny books. Being long time reader of the SF genre I have always been a bit wary of books based on tv series. However, I have really enjoyed David Mack's books and found the them both true to the Start Trek spirit, whilst also developing imaginative plot lines that give you a real feel for the vastness of the universe. Definitely worth reading, in my opinion, if you are a Star Trek fan or just enjoy Science Fiction

5.0 out of 5 stars Fordy136, 21 Oct 2013
I enjoyed reading this series of books. Couldn't put it down sometimes =)

I would recommend to anyone who wants Data to come back into the Star Trek Series after his death.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK... but too much too soon (contains spoilers), 29 Sep 2013
I wanted to like this book, I really did. I have been enjoying the new Next Gen books (actually, I've been enjoying the new Trek books in general) and when I saw that David Mack was writing another Trek trilogy, given the awesome job he did with the 'Destiny' trilogy, I had high hopes... then I saw the cover. As soon as you put Brent Spiner's face on a Trek book (given that Data is dead in the Trek universe) you're basically advertising what your book is going to be about and you lose the mystery. Yes boys and girl, they are bringing back Data. Is this a problem... well, yes it is.
Say what you want about 'Nemesis' (and there is SO much to be said) it did do one thing very well; it gave Data a MEANINGFUL death, which is something Star Trek doesn't tend to do when it bumps of main characters- Tasha Yar got murdered by an oil slick for no real reason, Jadzia Dax was in the wrong place at the wrong time... and the less said about Kirk on the rickety bridge the better. But Data's demise had meaning, we see that his evolution has gone from the android who couldn't whistle 'Pop Goes the Weasel' to a fully rounded character who is willing to sacrifice himself for Picard- not just because he's his captain, but because he is his friend. In sacrificing himself, he then goes on to save Picard, the Enterprise and the entire Federation. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Data-hater (there are several other Next Gen characters I would have preferred they kill off), but they did it well and it meant something.
Then, along comes 'The Persistence of Memory'. So, plot in a nutshell: McGuffin-Bot... sorry B-4 is kidnapped (complete with the downloaded copy of Data's memory), the Enterprise crew investigates, discovers Data's creator is now an android himself (oh boy, really stretching suspension of disbelief here), the plot then slows to a crawl and Noonien recounts what he's been up to (this takes up most of the book), before plot resumes, they find B-4 and Soongh transfers Data's consciousness/memories/self (whatever you want to call it) into his own body and hey presto... Data is back (more or less) and we have cheapened about the only good thing that 'Nemesis' was able to give us.
Given that we are dealing with a trilogy and that we were obviously going to be bringing Data back, I was surprised that Mack went down the road of blatantly telegraphing his plot and then wrapping it up in one book. As such, we wind up getting a lot of information thrown at us in a very short time. I would have spaced things out a bit more, maybe (given that we seem to have to go down this route) have the crew discover Noonien being the climax of Book 1. The only twist this book gives us is when they kill off Lt Choudhury in a pointless Tasha Yar-esque display of the villain proving that he's bad. Again, the moment is meaningless and we lose the most developed and my favourite of the new Next Gen characters.
'The Persistence of Memory' is a tough book to like for me. As with all the new Trek fodder, the writer has a good grasp on the established characters, so this does feel like a true continuation of 'The Next Generation' and the Trek universe. Also, like the other Trek books, it is an easy read; the kind of book I like to read when I need a break from the heavier-going books but still want to be entertained. But...for the first of three books, it does too much too quickly and suffers from Titanic-syndrome; we all knew the boat was gonna hit the iceberg and once you start reading this, you know that Data is coming back. Maybe things will pick up in Book 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Data Returns, 27 Aug 2013
After watching Data's death and his actions just before it was obvious, at least in book form, that Data would return. Bravo, welcome back Data!

4.0 out of 5 stars really good item, 15 Aug 2013
i really enjoyed reading this book and i would recommend this book to anyoone who likes star trek book great read

5.0 out of 5 stars so good it should be a movie., 27 May 2013
Wonderful characterisation and an engaging plot keeps you turning the pages with glee. This is the sort of continuation the Next Generation should have had on the silver screen.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Cold Equations 1: The Persistence of Memory (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
Cold Equations 1: The Persistence of Memory (Star Trek: The Next Generation) by David Mack (Mass Market Paperback - 22 Nov 2012)