Format: Hardcover|Change

on 30 April 2012
I bought this book on a whim after reading about it in a newspaper. I am in my mid-30s so am not one of these people that can say "I remember what I was doing on that day" but lke most people I have seen that awful footage of JFK's assassination many times, and watched Jackie Kennedy climb onto the rear of the car and see a Secret Service agent run towards her. The chance to read an account of that day by that Secret Service agent was what made me buy this book, and I was not disappointed. I won't lie, I bought it to read Clint Hill's account of that fateful day but fom start to finish it gives you an amazing insight into the life of one of the worlds most famous women. I genuinely could not put it down and loved every page. Highly recommend it.
on 13 November 2014
I really enjoyed this book. I liked Clint Hill, and admired his dignity and professionalism throughout it. I didn't find Mrs Kennedy very endearing, playing the absentee wife most of the time, which one would suspect gave ample opportunity for the stories we read about JFK and his womanising.

It was very interesting to see the whole thing from Clint Hill's perspective, especially being English it showed how things were done in America. His loyalty and devotion to Jackie Kennedy is admirable, as it is doubtful you could almost give your life over to your work unless you had this attitude, because of course it became detrimental to his own private life.

He kept all this quiet until after Jackie Kennedy's death, which also speaks volumes for him. I hope it was cathartic, as I am sure he could not rid yourself of the nightmare in his memory, and has had to live with it.

Clint Hill thoroughly nice man, Mrs Kennedy not so likeable.
on 19 April 2014
Have wanted to read this book for a long time. Disappointed in it a bit. Too sweety sweety. Jackie Kennedy comes over as a saint along with her husband and we know this is not the truth. A bit phoney. Service from Amazon excellent.
on 21 May 2016
A very human story, told very well. I'm old enough to remember what I was doing when President Kennedy was shot. This book gIves a fascinating insight into the characters involved.
on 3 September 2012
Clint Hill's memoir has been a long time coming but now it has arrived, many will be delighted - I certainly am.

Following on from Rufus Youngblood (in 73) and Gerald Blaine (in 2010), Hill recounts his life and work on the White House Detail.

Assisted -as Blaine was - by Lisa McCubbin, Clint Hill manages to steer the delicate line between discrete anecdote and gossip-mongering.
Much of the narrative has the definite feel of feminine input. Many of the observations about Mrs. K's wardrobe are far too astute to have been made by Clint Hill, I'm sure.

Hill's devotion to his charge is evident from first to last and the fact that he and Mrs. K managed to retain an entirely professional relationship throughout their time together speaks very well of both parties.
Like Mrs. K, Hill, was seldom at home and the impact of his absence from his wife and children can only really be guessed at. His mention of them is infrequent throughout the book and, the reader is rather left with the feeling that Clint simply doesn't want to discuss this aspect; which is entirely understandable.

The book turns from fairy-tale to nightmare with the assassination in Dallas. The authors devote three chapters to this pivotal moment in history; `Preparing For Texas', `That Day In Dallas' and 'Parkland Hospital'. These pages offer Hill's perspective, of course, and they mesh with and add to the recollections of so many others.
It makes for pretty grim reading and, I would hope, Clint Hill may have found it cathartic.
The book does contain a rather alarming factual error that, I fear, conspiracy buffs will have a field-day with. I won't say what it is, though. The buffs like to think of themselves as `researchers', so they can go and find it themselves.
I suspect that either Hill or McCubbin `compressed' the chronology of certain events and may have appended later information onto an earlier scenario in which the information was, at that time, unknown.

With the death of JFK countless lives were changed forever. Clint Hill was one of the many.
The book moves rather mournfully, as one would expect, to Mrs. K eventually leaving the White House and restarting her life again.

On page 131, he writes, "So, that's how I ended up spending the night at the home of Princess Irene Galizitzine. My life had been one adventure after another. It sure was a long way from the North Dakota Children's Home [where he was brought up] to the residence of a princess on the Isle of Capri. I felt like the luckiest man in the world."
That was in `62. Oswald would be waiting and hiding little more than a year from then.
on 23 May 2016
A Good Read and sad at the same time.
VINE VOICEon 13 January 2013
Hill occupied a unique position at the side of one of modern history's most famous women and witnessed at close quarters those terrible six seconds in Dallas. This bio gives us his experiences during the three years he was assigned to Jackie Kennedy as her personal security agent.

His initial doubts about his posting to what was seen as a lack-lustre assignment changed into great pride and joy at serving a First Lady whom he came to know well and to deeply respect. Indeed respect is the thread throughout the book, so those hoping for salacious details will be disappointed.

Despite the absence of spicy stuff, Hill conveys well an insider's experience of life with a First Family that was unlike any other. He leaves the reader in no doubt about the sometimes selfish demands made upon him and the hard work involved in protecting a First Lady who set the standard by which all those who followed would be measured. We also learn that Jackie was more sporty, fun-loving and mischievous than her cool glamorous image projected and that she and JFK enjoyed a more loving relationship than is generally supposed.

McCubbin has done a reasonable job of putting Hill's memories on paper and though it's not a first rate piece of writing it nonetheless delivers his experiences chronologically and in an easy to read style. The final chapters on Dallas and Hill's subsequent years bring a tear to the eye and his details of JFK's murder will give assassination buffs a few morsels to chew on.

A good one to have on the shelves for a different, but historically important post-script on some of world history's key people and events.
on 11 January 2014
This book shows the life and tragic times of the kennedys and mrs Kennedy in particular but oh so much more it goes beyond the public events and captures the living reality of the family. Moreover the book shows the pain and anguish of clint hill - how he managed to continue is amazing - reading the book I fell into a deep depression at the sorrow and grief amidst the fame and privilege - I have read many books re JFK but this one brings it painfully home.
There is another book in here - please clint write it - the emotional journey that has obviously continued throughout your life, the haunting memories, the emotional toll? Clint was part of it yet untill now could not express it.

Please read this book but be prepared for its bitter message.

For what it's worth my utmost regards to the Kennedy Detail.
on 4 February 2013
I bought this after watching a documentary on the Secret Service and was enthralled with Clint Hill. After seeing time after time, the SS agent that ran up to the car carrying JFK and Mrs Kennedy in Dallas, I then found it out this selfless man was Clint Hill, who was assigned to Mrs Kennedy. This book is so easy to read and takes you back in time, it was so interesting and from his point of view. I loved every page and shed a little tear when I came the last page. Well worth buying if you are fan of Jackie Kennedy and her family, all told from behind the scenes. Fantastic!!!!
on 20 May 2015
Written by the Secret Service Agent in charge of Jackie Kennedy's Detail, Clint Hill (the brave agent who jumped on the back of President and Mrs Kennedys car in an effort to protect them the day JFK was shot) comes a heartfelt, honest and moving portrayal of Jackie and the man who was assigned to protect her. A great insight into the every day life of the Kennedy Family and one man's personal grief about not being able to do more. A brave account and a great read! Loved it!