5.0 out of 5 stars A GOOD READ
Published on 16 Jan 2012 by Karen Squires

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I hoped for.
I chose OK because it was not the riveting read I had hoped for. Would I recommend this as a good read? No, the content was disappointing and I don't think it is particularly well written either.

Published 17 months ago by Daisy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A GOOD READ, 16 Jan 2012
Karen Squires (ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
Mr. Garner does not wear his heart on his sleeve. What you get here is a down to earth recounting of the main events of his career and personal life and interests, and what HE feels is important and should be reported. Fair enough. He is what he is and I am very grateful to him for this book. Not every star wants to share all their intimate details and kiss and tell stories and thank goodness for that. What I particularly liked about this book was the fact that he threw it open to friends and family to make their own observations and say whatever they wanted for good or bad and the other thing was the reviews he gave of his own films. Very interesting. A good read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I hoped for., 27 July 2013

Much of the memoirs focussed on his early career, Maverick, Rockford files which was interesting. The golf and the racing went on a bit too long for my liking so I eventually skipped them. The book felt as if it had been padded out. A considerable section on what various people thought of or had experienced with James Garner then a resume of all his various roles. Half as much content might have been twice as interesting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Watch Carefully, Pay Attention, Keep It Real, and Add Humor, 4 Feb 2012
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
"Listen now to my voice;" -- Exodus 18:19 (NKJV)

When I was in elementary school, a friend's mother asked me what my favorite television program was. I didn't blink an eye before announcing, "Maverick." She looked surprised, and I explained that I enjoyed watching a show about someone who first tried to think of a solution rather than just use violence. I also mentioned that I thought the show was very funny. From that show's appeal, I followed James Garner and enjoyed watching The Rockford Files and some of his better movies, such as The Americanization of Emily.

Knowing that actor memoirs are often vacuous, I decided to take a chance on finding out more about James Garner. I was glad that I did. There's interesting material here for James Garner fans.

I was fascinated to find out how little training (essentially none) he had before launching into being a successful actor. He credits much of his success to simply observing what outstanding actors did and to being fully present in a scene, no matter how many times the scene is reshot. Clearly, he must be very observant and able to adjust his mind and body to reflect what's going on around him. I was even more interested to learn that he had become a pretty decent golfer through employing a similar method.

The book also succeeds in portraying him as a person who cares about others and does so in respectful ways.

Since the story is leavened with humor, the bromides and insider stories go down a little more smoothly than usual.

I knew that he had struggled with chronic pain for decades (try being humorous through that!), but I didn't know that he also has quite a temper and suffered from greater than usual amounts of stage fright.

While you probably won't come away from this book with much of personal value, I believe you will probably feel a little more encouraged to persevere at whatever you do, to take life with humor, to look out for others, and to pay attention when you have a chance to improve.

Live a positive life, as best you can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Read, 1 Aug 2012
Francis Sellors "Hybridpicker" (Merseyside, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I must disagree with one of the other reviewers.
This is a terrific read.
Garner is revealed as a "self-taught actor", one who learnt his craft by carefully observing - at close quarters - many great actors e.g. Fonda and Brando, and by taking on board lots of great advice from , amongst others, Charles Laughton.
Again, it's a great read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of interesting stories about classic films and tv series, 19 Oct 2013
Really terrible childhood but he behaves gallantly throughout his life. His description of working on the Great Escape was my favourite as I had just seen the film.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent present, 4 Aug 2013
This was the perfect present for a friend who just loves James Garner. It covered so much about James, his life experiences, my friend talked non stop about the content stories/incidents for over a week.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Readable, 5 May 2014
This review is from: The Garner Files: A Memoir (Paperback)
A long overdue biography from Mr Garner and written in his inimitable style! Very difficult to put down and with genuinely personal photographs, not the stock shots that many film biographies include.

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read, 14 Nov 2014
I have always been a fan of James Garner, so I was looking forward to this book. His early years, childhood and army service in Korea were interesting. The chapters on Maverick and his battles with Warner bros, and his years with the Rockford files were also good. He tended to gloss over much of his movie career, in favour of two lengthy chapters on motor racing and golf which are of little interest.I did not like the last section either, where people he had worked with were heaping praise upon him . I have no doubt he was a great guy, but that section seemed a little too self indulgent. Overall, an interesting read, but not a great one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 6 July 2014
GREAT BOOK, WELL WRITTEN

3.0 out of 5 stars More For Avid Fans, 24 Jun 2014
I enjoyed the authors performances in Maverick and his early films.I found the part of the book that dealt with that very interesting.Also of great interest was the battle against Universal studios for their creative accounting.I am not interested in golf or fast cars so i sped through those chapters.However it became apparent by the last third of the book that he had run out od interesting things to say.The last chapter,which is 35 pages long is an embarassing wallow in sycophancy.People are asked their opinions of the author,and there is not one who has a bad word to say for him.The most memorable is an entry from a busibess manager explaining that although Garner may get a fee of $1million he will only actually receive a few hundred thousand.As the saying goes,i should be so lucky.So really this book is more for avid fans.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Garner Files: A Memoir
The Garner Files: A Memoir by James Garner (Paperback - 22 Nov 2012)