Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 July 2014
not a great entry in the series. it is a giant hardback sized paper back, not the normal size (which has now been announced for 2015) even though I waited a year after the hardback. There are only 217 pages in it, not 400 as advertised which makes it very expensive, and one of the author's names is not even spelled correctly on the cover! Stand up Jospeph.
The stories are not the greatest, and one is a 50's style SF story with nothing to do with Man Kzin wars at all. luckily it is short. Others propound pretty simplistic political views, and I prefer to use journalists and political comentatoes for that, not people who write about large cats.
Having said that, I read it all the way through once I had started, even when I shoucl have been doing other tings, so it mustn't be that bad.
If you have the other nooks in this series (and known space) you're going to buy it anyway. I woucl just suggest that you wait (if you can) until the mass market edition comes out next year instead of this (although the cover shot on Amazon still has Jospeph on it)
on 2 January 2014
I yield to no one as a fan of Larry Niven and his creations. This instalment was a much craved fix for me but in the cold light of day the assembled stories are of uneven quality from almost phenomenal to a C- junior school essay effort (to be kind to some contributors). Don't wish to point out mistakes and instances of lack of basic logic here and there as if you - like me - can't get enough of Man-Kzin contretempts the book is still worth buying.
on 22 February 2015
This is the 14th, and the history has definitely moved on from earlier books so I would highly recommend starting with No. 1 if you haven't read any Man/Kzin wars books yet. If you have, you know what you're getting, and you'll enjoy this book too.
on 6 January 2015
Some stories show excellent development of previous themes with well constructed plots and interesting and three-dimensional characters alternating with others that are absolute turkeys.
on 30 July 2014
Over the years I have learned the futility of reviewing books
on 18 May 2015