5.0 out of 5 stars Dying for more-
I'm a Bujold addict so needed to have the reviews as soon as I could: and of course nowadays that means borrowing from the US website (why the delay with the WWW....) so I'm cross posting, no apologies but perhaps a mini-spoiler alert:

Captain Ivan Vorpatril is happy with his relatively uneventful bachelor's life as a staff officer to a Barrayaran admiral...
Published 20 months ago by C Richards

3.0 out of 5 stars Nicely written, but below Bujold's usual level
Another in Bujolds science fiction series, focusing of Ivan Vorpatril, cousin of Miles, nephew of Cordelia and Aral. The prose is excellent as always, and the characters are far more amusing and sympathetic than most characters in science fiction. Like many of the best sci fi authors, Bujold uses the science fiction elements to tell stories about people, rather than about...
Published 17 months ago by Emmett

5.0 out of 5 stars Up to Bujold's usual high standard, 10 Nov 2012
This review is from: Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures) (Hardcover)
I greatly enjoyed this book. Often novels in an existing setting but with different main characters feel stilted or just an opportunity for cameos by the well-known characters. Although many well known characters take part in this story they don't detract from Ivan Vorpatril's own adventure, which has the same fast pacing and intelligent wit as Bujold's previous books.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd like to move, 26 May 2014
Yes, I want to fly to the Bujold planets and stay there. There are so many interesting things to do. I cannot, but I hope she returns to the Vorkosigan universe - that is what she does the best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good entry in the Miles series, 6 April 2014
Miles has gotten too important to be allowed to do irresponsible things, so Cousin Ivan stands in as a good substitute. The ending leaves open the possibility of a new story arc.

5.0 out of 5 stars ALL hail Bujold., 1 Feb 2014
WAY back in the early 1970's I bought my 1st Vorkosigan story at a remainder sale! I have been a fan ever since, I started reading SciFi about 1948 and still have a copy of my first ever pulp mag, and it has nought to do with a semi-clad Amazon on the cover either, nobody believes that even my kids!

My problem these days is holding on to my books, I opened "Ivan's downfall" on receipt and did not stop reading until 2:30am the next day, and then my late wife's cousin who had been badgering me for months took the darned book and is yet to return it!! Perhaps I should buy two copies each time??

One good thing about BAEN is the type size which makes it easy to read!! Yrs Bruce S

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 12 Jan 2014
Wonderful! Just wish the outer cover was a little more substantial. If you are a fan of the Vor series you will love this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun!, 4 Jan 2014
This is set before the tragic revelation at the end of Cryoburn and I was very glad because it meant we get to enjoy a fun adventure with Ivan, who is every bit as entertaining as a main character as I expected, without also dealing with all the inevitable emotional fallout that is coming. Fans of the more light-hearted books in the series should thoroughly enjoy this, I laughed out loud in places, but there is still plenty of character depth. The plot works as a stand alone, but someone knew to the series would probably miss quite a bit of the background, so if you're new to the Vorkosigan series, I'd start with Cordelia's Honor and work through them in the internal chronology rather than leaping in here personally.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Bujold!, 18 Dec 2013
T Poston "geometeer" (Bangalore, India) - See all my reviews
You don't need to read a review of anything Bujold writes: just read the book.

And re-read it, with equal pleasure, when you know the story arc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific - nice to see Ivan out on his own, 12 Dec 2013
A nice development, showing Ivan coming into his own as a character rather than just being Miles' foil.

A chance to prove that he's more than a party animal/horndog.

Good pacing, nice twists and a leavening g of humour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 18 Nov 2013
All I need now is Cryoburn, and I have all the Vorkosigan Saga, except 'Winterfair Gifts@ which, unfortunately, only appears to be available in an omnibus volume, but I have all the other books except that one, and it seems a shame to have to buy an omnibus volume just to get a novella - still, if that's what it takes- - - -

5.0 out of 5 stars Ivan as worthy hero, 7 Oct 2013
Who would have thought that a story where Miles only appears briefly could be this riveting? How satisfying to have the character of Ivan developed so far from his unpromising beginnings, and to see him turn out a resourceful and thoroughly nice chap. The plot is as far-reaching, zippy and gripping as always, with full as much humour as developments. Reading this novel has been one of life's great pleasures.

Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)
Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures) by Lois McMaster Bujold (Hardcover - 20 Nov 2012)
16.82