4.0 out of 5 stars Third in the Honorverse "Shadow" series
This is the 18th of a group of novels set about two thousand years from now in the future which David Weber initially created for his character Honor Harrington. Within that group this is the third in a sub-sequence of novels, after "The Shadow of Saganami" and "Storm from the Shadows" which are set in an area of space known as the Talbott Quadrant.

Honor...
Published 21 months ago by Marshall Lord

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of people talking
And very little of what they say is interesting. This has been a problem of a lot of Weber's books of late, partly I suspect because he doesn't have an editor with the gumption to sit him down and tell him to cut the excess fat. Shadow of Freedom as a Novella is pretty good, not quite as good as the early Honorverse stories, but not bad. Note I say the Novella, not the...
Published 21 months ago by Mr. B. Troke

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 4 Mar 2013
Demos (Chester England) - See all my reviews
Just stayed up all night reading the latest excellent David Weber magnum opus and it was worth it. Faster paced than some recent offerings and more "combat heavy", it scratches all the right itches.

And of course it sets up a finale we've all suspected for the last eight or nine books.

Please don't leave us hanging for too long Mr Weber, I really want to see how this ends (and hopefully a brand new story arc starts).

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice work if you can get it?, 22 Nov 2014
Sleuthing on a grand scale enables the baddies to be winkled out after bedlam in the boondocks! A great and important addition to the Saga that may, sometime soon, 'give peace a chance'!
Harast

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing David Weber, 4 Dec 2014
The honor Harrington series continues to delight and surprise me and after so many books that really is the sign of a master author. Thank you for this epic series

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be worse, could still be better, 2 April 2013
Which pretty much sums it up for me. It's not quite as irritating as some recent books in pagecount of villains doubletalking themselves into doing stupid things or endlessly rehashing stuff the reader is already aware of - though, alas, there's still far too much of both.

The basic premise is excellent if a little out of nowhere. As well as stirring revolts in the Cluster, the Mesan Alignment is supplying arms and equipment to rebel groups on Solarian/Verge planets to make life harder for Frontier Security. The nasty part is that they're telling these rebels that they work for Manticore and that the Manticore Navy will come to help them out when push comes to shove and their rebellions kick off. So what does Mike Henke do when she discovers this - up the ante and start attacking Solarian-run worlds and Frontier Security ships to help the rebels? Or leave rebels throughout the Verge thinking Manticore has betrayed them? Okay, no prizes for the right answer, but that particular story is quite a good one for all I'd like to seen it a bit more foreshadowed elsewhere.

Of course given the Alignment expected Manticore to be effectively out of the game by this point - a point made in passing in this book - I find myself slightly puzzled why they were putting so much effort into blackening Manticore's reputation? But then I'm far from convinced the Alignment's "strategy" made any sense from the start, lengthy discussions notwithstanding!

As others have noted I could really have done without the wholesale duplication of chapters from other books. That's just laziness, Weber. If you feel you absolutely have to repeat description of an event to avoid confusing people who haven't read other books - though I think it may be several volumes too late for that! - then at least have the courtesy to change things so we get a slightly different 'take' on the events.

I can also only second the pleas for Weber to get a decent editor. Firstly to trim down the redundant conversations; secondly to have someone check his books before shipping them [I think every one of his recent books has had an obvious error, this one's being IIRC the weight of the Roland class is out by a factor of a thousand); and thirdly to stomp hard on some of his cliches. I swear if I read one more time that "the Admiralty aren't picking commanders of X out of a hat"...

All of which said, I did enjoy it, probably about as much as I hoped to, certainly more than I feared I might from some of the other reviews. It's just so frustrating that someone who writes such good characters and such good action also keeps writing so much infuriating and irrelevant padding-out with talking heads.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story, 4 Mar 2013
The story I felt ran in parallel with "A Rising Thunder", I ask myself were they at one time all the one novel. But still a good addition to the Honor Harrington universe and a good read in its own right.
To get the most from this book I thick the reader needs at the least to have read "A rising Thunder" first.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but did not progress story arc, 13 Mar 2013
I thought it was a good story, David Weber does write books I like, but much of it simply covered ground already seen. I suppose we will have to wait for an actual Honor Harrington book for more progress in the bigger story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Speeding up, 10 Mar 2013
Ahchi Cappleman (North Yorkshire, U.K.) - See all my reviews
Events in the story are speeding up ,
And it looks like Mesa may get it's WISH. (As in old middle east proverb).

Why only four stars
One of the chapters (Five I think) is a repeat

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Masterpiece!, 28 Dec 2013
No review will ever do justice to a David Weber novel, especially one belonging to the Harringtonverse. You definitely won't go wrong with this novel. Lots of action and intrigue.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Shadow of Freedom (Signed & Limited Edition) (Honorverse)
Shadow of Freedom (Signed & Limited Edition) (Honorverse) by David Weber (Hardcover - 19 Mar 2013)