5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to forget this is not a vegan book!
Published 19 months ago by I. Darren

1.0 out of 5 stars A very poor book, the recipes are very unhealthy with huge ...
A very poor book, the recipes are very unhealthy with huge amount of sugar and the couple of recipes I tried turned out very poor. All measurements are in cups rather than grams. I think Amazon if you are going to sell a uk book you should check how they use measurement.
Published 11 days ago by chappers

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to forget this is not a vegan book!, 15 Feb 2013
I. Darren (Fi) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Chloe's Vegan Desserts: Over 100 Exciting New Recipes for Cookies and Pies, Tarts and Cobblers, Cupcakes and Cakes - and More! (Paperback)
Veganism can have a bit of a bad reputation for those who are not adherents. Mostly due to ignorance and unfamiliarity. Yet more and more people are turning to veganism or another restricted dietary regime. So for the converted, this can be a good additional resource. For the uninitiated it can be a good education aand show you that veganism does not necessary mean bland, tasteless and lacking in things.

The author has turned away from typical vegan staples such as tofu, applesauce, egg replacer and mashed bananas in favour of liquid proportions and leaveners like baking soda and vinegar to make cakes rise and remain moist. As well as making her own version of classics such as crème brulee and tiramisu there are a number of homespun delights such as lemon olive oil cake with rosemary ice cream. Lemon olive oil cake, you might ask, whilst pulling a face... yet now is the chance to perhaps try something totally different and be pleasantly surprised.

Certainly this is a light read and you don't get the feeling of being hectored (if you are a non vegan). Vegans will already be sold on the idea and not need any convincing. The author gives the impression of being open and care-free, even talking about catching her hair once in a mixer and having to walk around with a melon-shaped knot in her hair for some time! Things start after a light-hearted introduction with an overview of common "pantry items" and this was, in fact, a rather essential, illuminating read for a non vegan. Even though many ingredients are familiar it was interesting nonetheless to learn additional uses and opinions as to their versatility.

Consideration is also given to allergy-free baking, such as gluten-free, soy-free and sugar-free, with a brief explanation of acceptable substitutions.

Then it is time to get cooking! The recipes are well presented with a clear introduction, ingredients list (sadly with only imperial measurements) and very explanatory, simple instructions to follow. Regrettably there is no estimation of a typical preparation or cooking time though. Many tips and hints are also dotted throughout the book and the photographs of the finished items are simplistic, honest and visually to the point. This reviewer challenges any non vegan with a sweet tooth not to find something of interest within this book, based on the photographs alone. You will be hooked!

The recipes themselves are split into chapters - dessert for breakfast; cookies & bars; pies, tarts & cobblers; cakes & cupcakes; spoon desserts; drink up! and basics with a full listing at the start of the book. There is also an index at the rear but this was not present in the review copy. Quite why a second index is necessary, unless it is sorted by basic ingredients, remains to be seen as the contents listing is sufficiently comprehensive to locate each recipe. So it may just be a welcome additional bonus.

There seems to be a lot of blank spaces at the end of many recipes that appear to have no purpose nor the feeling of anything being omitted. Hopefully it is just a factor of this pre-publication review copy as it seems very odd and out of character with the book's overall high production values. But then, if there is something missing, it is very frustrating to not know what it is, whilst not considering something is missing. Hopefully the space can be used for even more "scrumptious" photographs.

So, overall this is a great book. This reviewer tended to tune out that it was a "vegan book" as the various dishes were so enchanting, interesting and different. As a meat eater maybe it would be a step too far for now to convert to veganism but certainly, based on the recipes seen within this book, it wouldn't be a hardship to eat vegan desserts every now and then. If you are entertaining and a guest is a vegan, this is a perfect resource. Just follow it and relax!

5.0 out of 5 stars Chloe's Vegan Desserts is amazingly good!, 2 Aug 2013
Monica "Monica" (Qatar, Middle East) - See all my reviews
This has to be one of my best and favourite vegan recipe books for the following reasons: I made the Spiced Applesauce Cake last night and it was incredibly delicious, moist, light, just wonderful, and even my own son who dismisses much of what I make loved it! Secondly, the book is beautifully presented with glossy pages and attractive pictures; I love the picture of the author with her two Chihuahusas and another little furry friend being offered a Pupcake using carob (as chocolate is dangerous for dogs). Thirdly, ingredients for all the recipes are easy to find. Fourthly, the recipes are exciting and I just cannot wait to continue experimenting! Fifthly, instructions are easy to follow with useful tips called 'Chloe's Tip' written throughout, and finally, the book offers a 'gluten-free alternative' which is useful for those allergic to gluten. A book well worth buying. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars very good!, 30 May 2013
Kristine Kreicberga (Riga, Latvia) - See all my reviews
Initially I took this book from the library intending to browse it, to try several of the recipes and after writing down those few that would turn out acceptable, to return the book. Alas - after extending my borrowing term for three times and giving up coping every single recipe into my recipe file I've bought the book! It is one of the very rare cookbooks where you achieve tasty results using widely available ingredients and generally fool proof techniques.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book for those with a sweet tooth, 2 Jun 2014
I am newly dairy intolerant and still wanted to eat nice cakes. I have cooked a few of Chloe's recipes and they are easy to follow and tasty.

It is an American book so you need a set of cup measures, but then they are really easy to follow. I am having to curb my baking urge in order to maintain my current figure but I look forward to the coming weeks and months as I work through the recipes.

I would recommend this book for anyone not just those who require vegan recipes. They don't require wired and wonderful ingredients so anyone new to this style of baking won't feel intimidated by the ingredients.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, 18 May 2014
Since i found this book i am sure to cook any new recipe with success straight away the first time. I do believe it is the best book for vegan recipes you can find. very easy to follow and easy to do any recipe. She deserved to receive the price for the best Chef for a cupcake competition. Even she was competing against chef who were using eggs and milk.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some very nice simple recipes, 11 May 2014
Mrs. Gail Brewster (Doncaster UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I find Chloes books very easy to follow and understand and the ingredients are simple and easy to find. There are some lovely recipes in this book although you can find a lot of them in a great many other vegan recipe books, I still prefer this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 5 May 2014
PerfectStorm (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
Lots of lovely recipes which I have been trying out, only wish there were more without sugar. But a very welcome addition to my collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars looks fab, 8 Mar 2014
If this book is anything like Chloe's kitchen, I shall be cooking lots of tasty puds and treats from here. So far, all I have made are the Brownies. They are delicious. In fact, to stop myself eating them all, I had to distribute them amongst my friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review from a NON-VEGAN!, 28 Feb 2014
C. Watson (London) - See all my reviews
I have had this book for 2 months and already I have made pretty much everything in it!
I am not actually vegan, although I do enjoy making vegan food and experimenting with my baking, and It was refreshing to find a book that uses normal ingredients that you can find in the ol' supermarket and not all these fancy crazy things that you can only find in the super-expensive heath food stores.
I really am a MASSIVE connoisseur of cakes, so I am a fussy customer, and the desserts in this book, I swear you really cannot tell that they are vegan at all. This sounds so cliche, but I've even made some of these recipes for my full-on, butter eating, egg-munching, carnivore pals and they can't tell it's vegan AT ALL, I always tell them afterwards and they're like 'Say Whhaaaaaaat?'. Especially the fudge cake, (Oh my God, the fudge cake, *salivates* the fudge cake will blow your FREAKIN' MIND!). They all refuse to believe it has no dairy in it. I had to whip out the book and show them the recipe. One friend even went as far as to not believe me until I made it in front of her!
So yeah I am basically really overweight now thanks to this book, and so are all the people I'm baking for just so I can drop the 'btw its vegan' bomb on them, because the recipes are too darn delicious. Chloe, how are you so skinny?!?!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Chloe's Vegan Desserts, 20 Nov 2013
Lovely book with easy to follow recipes and great pictures. It has made catering for a special diet so easy. Non vegans will love the recipes too.