Format: Paperback|Change

OK I am a big fan of Mr. Keillor . See my other reports on his recent work .
Here he is at his very best which is exceptionally good in his beloved Lake Wobegon .
It is side splitting , laugh out loud funny . The usual assortment of characters is here in the familiar locations : Pastor Ingqvist ,Clint Bunsen , The Norwegian Bachelors , The Chatterbox Cafe , The Sidetrack Tap .
He pokes fun mercilessly , but nicely at The Lutheran folk . Even the agnostics are Lutheran agnostics----it is a Lutheran God they don't believe in !! But among the fun there is another level causing one to consider ones own attitudes and prejudices if only for a moment before the next laugh .
This volume should be available on the National Health for anyone suffering from depression . It is that good .
Read it all at once or pick it up from time to time . Either way I promise you won't be disappointed .
on 25 April 2012
GK writes so beautifully - full of wit and intelligence. One of my favourite writers. This collection has the usual funny but affectionate takes on the Minnesota Lutheran community, coupled with GK's wonderful reflections on modern life e.g. " Never before have we learned so much we didn't need to know from people we don't like and can't get rid of in media that has only one purpose, to sell, sell, sell, and which has been steadily encroaching and circling and crowding out whatever peace and quiet is left in the cosmos and stirring up restlessness and envy and greed and impatience." My wife doesn't like it when I get a new GK book as I'm either chuckling away or bursting out laughing all the time I'm reading.
on 28 June 2011
Fans of Garrison Keillor know what to expect from his work. Life Among the Lutherans is like a familar treat, comfortable, reassuring but none the less pleasurable for that. Keillor's wry observations and gentle sense of humour never fail to lighten my mood. His style is like a favourite piece of music, it bears repeating again and again. The book is really a series of short stories with essentially the same cast of characters, but Keillor does venture some pithy comments on the role and effect of organised religion and the pressure to conform in small town America. Regular readers will not be disappointed and new readers are in for a treat.
on 5 November 2011
I have been a keen fan of PHC since the mid 70's, having spent time in St. Paul as a high school exchange student. I have read most of Garrisons books, listened to a lot of the radio shows and records. Being objective about his writing is not easy for me then, and it is hard to imagine what the best way in to his world may be for a newcomer, but this book is simply wonderful. I can pick any chapter out of it, and it will in very little time put me in a very happy mood. Each (shortish) chapter reads like a poem, each turn of phrase perfect, more distinct than ever. His world is so much like our own, and he finds the exact way of pointing out the absurdities without pointing a finger and accusing us, reaching us in a way that keeps us from raising our defences. Read this to gain a perspective, understand how things are connected and reduce the stress of living.
on 21 July 2011
BBC Radio 7 (now Radio 4 Extra) has been carrying rebroadcasts of the author's Prairie Home Companion, where I was first introduced to the weekly tales from Lake Wobegone.

It's impossible not to read these delightful tales in the laid back voice of Garrison Keillor; stories of Pastor Inquist and the Lutherans of Lake Wobegone.
on 6 December 2012
I've read some of this before when I was young and liked it as pieces of writing. It was very good then - it's indispensible now.
on 24 January 2014
A good potboiler for Keillor fans! Bits from other books and stories make their way into the narrative here, albeit there are sometimes continuity issues. It's OK, but I'm yet to be convinced that Keillor has got life in Lake Wobegon after 1990, or perhaps it's just that I don't like it anymore!!!
on 28 December 2011
Just love this. He's such an underrated writer, many thanks to Amazon for having such a great stock of Garrison Keillor titles. This is a collection of "News from Lake Wobegon" from the radio shows (currently on Radio 4 Extra) The Gospel Birds story is a favourite of mine.
on 30 April 2011
A welcome return to form after Garrison Keillor's last novel, which I found something of a curate's egg. Not all the material is new, but even that which isn't comes up fresh. Recommended.
on 7 April 2010
Somehow I found this book just a little more thoughful than other Keillor gems. Don't worry though, you are still safe in Lake Wobegon, and with some familiar characters, though perhaps not so many as usual. It's just that some of the shortest stories demand just a bit more attention. A good thing probably, but it takes a bit of adjustment to be able to join them all up again.

Still highly recommended for Wobegon fans.