5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great start to a great series.
Published on 1 May 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, But Irritating In Places
Published 18 months ago by ExecBum

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great start to a great series., 1 May 1999
By A Customer
Looking for a new author, I picked up Ms. Domning's book "Autumn's Flame". While reading this book I discovered that this was the third book in a series of four. After reading "Autum's Flame" I then purchased the other three books. "Winter's Heat" is the first in the series. Lord Rannulf and Lady Rowena are the main characters and Ms. Domning does a wonderful job of writing their story. Lady Rowena is a strong woman for this era (12th century) and proves to be an important figure in Lord Rannulf's life. I thoroughly recommend this series to all who enjoy the medieval times. "Winter's Heat" and "Spring's Fury" were my favorite two in this series. Oh yea, "A Love for all Seasons" has a surpise for readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars The First in a Series., 10 Mar 2012
I discovered the "Seasons" series by chance, while browsing the historical fiction section, and am so pleased I did. The historical accuracy, plus the strong characters in Winter's Heat, immediately capture the reader. Having just finished "Winter's heat" I have downloaded the rest of the series as I am keen to know what happens next in the lifes of the characters. I would definitely recommend this book, the first in the series, and look forward to reading the rest.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, But Irritating In Places, 1 Jan 2013
As historical fiction goes, I would say this book is okay, but I definitely won't bother to read any others by this author. I found the two main characters quite irritating in the way that they seem to have endless misunderstandings. Additionally, the lead female character behaves in a way that I just cannot imagine a woman of her position and in her time behaving. So the characters didn't quite ring true. By halfway I was willing the story to finish as, although it just about kept me reading, I didn't think it was as riveting as I'd been led to believe by reading previous reviews. I don't want to spoil it for other people, but the endless arguments and bad feeling between the two leads got on my nerves as well. On the whole, I'd say that it's readable, but not the most compelling/engrossing book I've come across.

5.0 out of 5 stars heartwarming, 5 Oct 2012
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Historical with great characters Rannulf and Rowena just have a great chemistry and the interplay between them was a joy and Lady Maeve was a villain you love to hate. Denise by her own admission due to certain things happening in her life at the time took many years to write this book and all i can say is its well worth the wait. Its fascinating to read about medieval times and this book has been meticulously researched. The first one of a series, I look forward to reading the others.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Really Enjoyable Read., 4 Oct 2012
I love Denise Domning's books. They are always so satisfying, the story always going just where you want it to. This is the first of the Medieval novels, with a very interesting story line, great characters and lots of period detail. A wonderful series!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 21 Aug 2012
Just a good read....loved it, in fact I loved the whole series. Couldn't get Ranulf and Rowena out if my head. It's the kind of book you can't put down

4.0 out of 5 stars Historical romance, 3 April 2012
I enjoyed reading this historical romance. The author spent several years researching the period so these stories are more historically accurate than many of the romances available today. The heroine is a good strong character, there is an interesting story line and likeable characters. There are some adult scenes but this content does not dominate the story.

There is a link at the end of the story to download a free novella.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book!, 19 April 2013
Rena Ruadh - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Having downloaded this book onto my Kindle for free, I was sceptical - so many free books are absolute dross. This book, however, was just the opposite.

First, I really appreciate the meticulous research into medieval culture that the author clearly has done. Everything is right, no anachronisms anywhere. It is a great pleasure to read a book that is well researched, having just finished a book that, sadly, was the opposite.

Next, the writing. Perfect, correct writing, no grammatical errors. A wonderful, great relief!

Finally, the story. I was swept right into the story by the author's ability to write in an evocative, flowing style. Beautiful. I enjoyed the characters and their interactions with each other. I loved the character development in the two protagonists who grow from hating each other to acceptance to love. The secondary characters were well-described and played important roles. I liked the way Gilliam changed from boy to man and I look forward to reading his story.

To summarise, a well-written book that was truly enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely new discovery., 14 Feb 2012
I love my Kindle. It has introduced me to so many new authors, Denise being the latest. I loved this book, for its details, for its characters and for its ability to transport me back to a time I would have loved to live in. Keep writing Denise, I hate this modern world.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not For Me, 26 Jan 2013
I bought this for 77pence on promotion and that's about what it was worth. I don't know how historicly accurate it was but I very soon became bored with the beautiful, innocent yet feisty heroine and her handsome, chiselled featured yet emotionally damaged husband! It was a "she loves him, she hates him, he hates her, he loves her book and reminded me of a Masquerade Romance. I skimmed over the loves scenes which were pretty dire and about as erotic as a wet fish.
Sorry-definately not for me!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Winter'S Heat
Winter'S Heat by Denise Domning (Paperback - 13 Jun 2011)
Used & New from: 33.61