Reapers, Inc.- Brigit's Cross
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£8.13+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 5 August 2012
It's Halloween and Brigit Malone is late to meet her partner, Maggie Devon. Unfortunately she isn't going to be meeting her at all. She's just been killed on her way home. Brigit and Maggie had been together almost ten years. One more day and they would have been celebrating their tenth anniversary.

Brigit had promised Maggie to always look after her and to always be there for her. How is she going to do that now?

As luck would have it, Brigit is offered a job at Reapers Incorporated. The firm of Reapers Inc carries out the unenviable task of crossing departed souls over to their final judgements. Brigit accepts the position of Assistant Reaper to John Blackwick, the Head Reaper. With a little negotiation, Brigit makes it possible to be able to keep her promise to Maggie. She will be able to watch over her.

Brigit begins her new career and so the next stage of her un-existence begins.

As far as I can ascertain, this is B.L Newport's debut book. The story is refreshing and different from other books in the same genre I've read. A whole new idea.

I love all the characters, even the baddies. They are multidimensional and play well together. The scenic descriptions made me feel I was looking on as the story unfolded. This is the sort of book that I wouldn't actually want to be a part of the story. To be with the Reapers crossing the departed souls over, wouldn't be my idea of a fun time. But, like a film, to be able to watch it from a far, is great.

I liked the way B.L Newport told Brigit's story and also put a different spin on her job as a Grim Reaper. No skeletal figure in a hooded cloak etc, but a regular person. Albeit, a dead one. It was storytelling at it's best. I also liked the dry humor throughout. It added a nice touch to what could have been a rather serious book.

Once I started this book, I couldn't stop reading until I'd finished it. It is a real page turner. So, I would advise allowing plenty of leisure time to read this. Fortunately I had the next in the series lined up ready to read. I wouldn't have liked to wait as this does end in a bit of a cliff-hanger.

I'll be keeping this to re-read once all the series is complete.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again