5.0 out of 5 stars Rich of knowledge and a great read, 17 Mar 2011
This review is from: The End of Belonging: Untold stories of leaving home and the psychology of global relocation (Paperback)
This is one of the most inspiring books I have ever read. Somehow I have a feeling that this book is a milestone in exploring the issue of home and its role in life, it will become a real phenomenon.

Being a migrant myself and meeting/ working with other expats, I often thought of migration experience as something very complex in our minds, something that was there, everywhere, but too diffuse to catch and summarize through words. This author has managed. Wow.

I fully recommend to every professional working with expats, migrants, returnees; but also if you are living your own migration experience or you are just interested in the issue. You will remember this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting and Provocative, 5 Mar 2012
It would be challenging for anyone to read this book without asking some original questions of themselves, and possibly finding some surprising answers, so for those of us interested in existential philosophy or psychotherapy, personally or professionally, it is a good read.

Reminiscent of Heidegger's interest in phenomenology, `To the things themselves!' (Being and Time,1962: 50) reading this book shone a light onto a particular aspect of our existence which seems to underpin all lives but often lies quietly hidden and undiscovered.

Dr Madison's writing is unique and original within the context of psychological literature in that, for me, it had the ability to bring vividly and immediately alive so many dormant memories in an almost Proustian manner; it surprised, resonated and then I often felt the visceral pain of recognition long buried. That description is meant to signify a `highly recommended' reading label!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The End of Belonging, 18 April 2011
This book explained my long lasting question.

For the last 8 years since I began working abroad, whenever I went back to the country where I was born and lived most of my life, I felt I did not belong there any longer, except in a superficial way. Although I went along with all sorts of institutional routines because I felt I had to, something private in me resisted that I belong there. In return, my country would not want me to claim otherwise. It seems like there is a mutual agreed distance that seems to suit both of us.

I have envied many friends who had lived in the same place all their lives, or who had done well in accepted ways, or who truly belonged. Over a pint of beer or diner table, when I attempted to explain the depth of the loss, no one even my closest childhood friends could understand. I felt more lost and alone at home than in the most foreign and unfamiliar places.

What happened to me? Where do I belong? Have I lost my home?

The closest explanation I could get was to cut and paste of quotes from people who happened to be my colleagues or acquaintances of the exile, the expatriate and the émigré from numerous parties. However, the question still remains unanswered.

Is it because I am genuinely different, objectively an outsider, or because I am temporarily a loner, or I am personally more attracted to maybe little more income and exotic life?

This is a big question and a personal one, and I do not want to share my answers. However, I can say that after having finished this book, I had better answer to the question and I understand that I will never belong there again because I can never again be myself there.

The End of Belonging. Untold Stories of leaving home and the psychology of global relocation
The End of Belonging