Format: Hardcover|Change

on 4 February 2014
If you are new to eating Paleo, or just in need of some new ideas, this is the book for you. It is fair to say that this is not just a recipe book - it is so much more. It is an A-Z guide of cooking, from the the most basic to the sublime and I guarantee it will have you in the kitchen eager to cook up a storm! It is charming, beautifully photographed, witty and informative, all without being too 'sciency'.

The step-by-step, clear photos for every recipe and funky illustrations throughout make this so easy to use. It seems they have combined fonts, photos and pictures perfectly, so that each page plays out its recipe without you having to laboriously pore over it. The recommendations for kitchen tools/utensils, supplies, sauces and spices and advice on how and when to use them is invaluable and a definite read if, like me, you have been debating on which essentials you really should have to help in the kitchen. There is plenty of nutritional advice in a nice, easy-to-read format and lots of tips on how to stay on track if you are trying to eat Paleo.

I have been eating Paleo for nearly two years and although my family are supportive, getting this book has been the catalyst to getting them to change their eating habits. My husband and daughter have finally ditched their cereal in favour of Maple Sausage Patties and we have had Curried Cream of Broccoli Soup 3 weeks running. We served it to our local greengrocer across the road (as she was intrigued by the mix of ingredients used) and she loved it too!

There is not a week that goes by now, without consulting and cooking from this book at least twice. My daughter loves the little cartoons in it and likes to read out the little captions on various pages when she's flicking through. The recipes are simple, yet beuatiul and have bought new flavours into our kitchen and our home. Not only has it inspired us, but all the little tips and tricks have been so useful (like how to really caramalize your onions). I love this book so much, I have bought 3 copies - one for our home, one for my sister-in-law and another for my brother. Want a new cookbook? Buy this one!
on 13 January 2014
This is a great book; beautiful photos and inspiring words and, of course, fab recipes. I have been waiting for the book as, not having an ipad, I couldn't get the cooking app. Michelle has a brilliant blog and this is a great accompaniment to it. She's so wonderfully enthusiastic! There are usually problems with getting a few of the ingredients here in the UK (when cooking from US paleo recipe books...) but actually the only thing that I can't seem to get in Ocado are coconut aminos! I'm very happy with this book :-)
on 2 January 2014
"Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans" prepared by Michelle Tam by Henry Fong is unusually fun and different book about cooking, that in a humorous way using different techniques, among other comic drawings, offers numerous recipes for cooking whole, unprocessed ingredients absolutely free of added sugar, grains and legumes.

Our hosts are four cartoon characters - Michelle, Henry, Owen and Ollie which will lead us through more than 100 recipes in this book divided in 9 chapters plus introduction that gives the background of how and why this book was released.

The recipes are divided into chapters bearing the following titles: building blocks, nibbles, salads and soups, eggs, plants, seafood, poultry, meat and treats.
From the book contents it can be seen that the authors truly covered a wide and varied circle of dishes and foods, thereby becoming interesting to many people that seek information about healthy eating.

The author in one place beautifully said that her love for food started with the tastes, sights, and aromas of her mother's kitchen, her being an excellent cook, and as a child she was her little shadow while mother prepared supper each night.

And it's exactly this love for food that can be visible in the pages of this innovative and beautifully designed cookbook that offers many photographs for each of the included recipes covering step-by-step preparation process with personality add-on author's touch.
As the authors themselves said, this book doesn't have a specific audience; at the same time it's a collection of dishes whose preparation is quick, while the food and health quality is high, and these are characteristics that are these days important to all of us.
Therefore, "Nom Nom Paleo" book rightly bears the name food for humans and due to that can be recommended.
on 15 October 2014
I quite enjoyed the presentation but in general I found that it catered, naturally, to American tastes which are often very different to European ones. I also get so exasperated at having to convert weights, measures and temperatures! That said, I've made a few of the recipes, the Meat Loaf was a failure, we really didn't enjoy it (it was bland and unexciting) but the Tuna Muffins and Salmon fishcakes were a go and the ice cream was a refreshing and enjoyable finish to a dinner party with like minded friends.

In general an interesting book, but it's probably more helpful to brouse the Paleo European based blogs (there's a couple of excellent Swedish ones where I found a good 'bread' recipe and some great crackers to have with cheese for those who eat diary) for recipe ideas or use regular recipes as most savoury ones actually need very little adaptation.
on 15 April 2014
This is a super recipe book with a twist. It is easy to read and follow the recipes. The only down side for me is that Michelle Fong adds too much salt to each recipe for me. I have tried many recipes and adjusted the salt to my taste and they are superb.Thank you for taking the time to write this book.
on 15 February 2014
I have been eating paleo for about 18 months and have lost 4 1/2 stone and improved my health immensely. Until I bought this book I just got paleo recipes from the internet or adapted recipes from my other books. However I was tempted into buying this by the cute style of the book and the great reviews. I am so glad I bought it because it is lovely to look at and there is something more satisfying about reading a book rather than surfing the web.

I have made quite a few of the recipes and they have all been lovely. Basic paleo favourites like zoodles and cauliflower rice are included which makes it suitable for people who are new to paleo, but there are also more complex and unusual recipes for the more experienced. My absolute favourite is the peruvian chicken which is amazing. The instructions are easy to follow and there aren't too many wacky ingredients that are impossible to find. I love that the book has US and British measures and oven temp conversion chart at the back so that I can easily look up the info I need.

Overall I really love this book and I would highly recommend it.
on 15 February 2014
I have enjoyed Michelle's blog for some time and it was one of the motivators for my initial dive in to Paleo eating. The recipes in this book are familiar both in terms of content and presentation; cute cartoons and delicious photographs with well written and easy to comprehend recipes. This is an American book so expect the usual kitchen translations (cups, Fahrenheit etc.) but helpfully there is a set of conversion tables covering all of the number crunching you are likely to need.

The content is quite conversational and there might be too much anecdote for some people - have a read of the blog first to get a flavour.

Contents:

A good introduction to the Paleo Diet - foods to avoid, ration and enjoy freely are outlined.
An overview of some of the kitchen gizmos you might employ - nothing too weird here and none of it mandatory.
Stocking your kitchen/cupboards.

Building blocks - an overview of some staple things you can make e.g. Ghee, Paleo Mayonnaise, Salsas and sauces.
Nibbles - snacks and quick bites e.g. Apple Chips, Kale Chips, Roasted nuts
Salads & Soups e.g. Madras Chicken Salad, Coleslaw, Bone Broth
Eggs - lots of variations of classic egg based snacks and meals
Plants - Veggie sides/mains e.g. Courgette Noodles, Roasted Mushrooms, Sweet Potato Hash
Seafood - e.g. Spicy Coconut Shrimp, Mussels in Curry Broth.
Poultry - e.g. Chicken Nuggets, Slow Roasted Duck Legs.
Meat - e.g. Korean Short Ribs, Yankee Pot Roast
Treats - e.g. Cinnamon Apple Scones, Whipped Coconut Cream, Summer Berry Soup.

In summary, I use many of the recipes weekly and honestly the recipes are so easy to follow its difficult not to flick through and find something impressive sounding that is a doddle to make.

If you are looking for a tasty intro to Paleo food then I really recommend this book and the blog (and the App for the matter!)

Why 4 stars? The Kindle edition has one or two display issues that occasionally make read a bit awkward (only very occasionally but still annoying).
on 12 February 2014
Every recipe so far has been excellent. I in conjunction with her blog I have consistently been producing great food. A great tool for a Whole30 (she has listed the compliant recipes on her site) or day to day. My copy is already looking worn from use! A good sign!

Definitely recommend the caramelised onions, magic mushroom powder, slow cooker chicken n gravy. These are now staples in my kitchen.
on 11 April 2014
What a glorious work of art this book is. I was so entranced by the first few pages, I made a cup of coffee and sat down and read every single page in one session. I constantly say to friends that the term "food industry" is a contradiction on terms (what one friend calls a "terminological inexactitude". Real food has nothing to do with industry. Industrialised food is processed, fat and sugar laden chemical gunk which should have no place in any home. This book will show youngsters what you have never been shown before, and refresh those who grew up in the post second war period how real cooking can move on and be even better that our mothers made it. The recipes are real, that is, they are not long lists of complicated, hard to find ingredients. They are straightforward and thank heavens, not anything like the pretend food that chefs create after faffing about with stuff for hours on end. Hardly know where to start with the recipes, they are all so good, and even better, low in carbs.
The style is engaging, easy to read and each page is clear, with lots of great photos. This woman really loves proper food and her family is clearly thriving on it. I have no doubts at all that the first recipe I choose will be as perfect as the writer predicts. Buy this with confidence if you want low carb, paleo food with no industrialisation behind it. Throw another mammoth leg on the fire mother, I am coming home!
on 28 April 2015
This book is alright, BUT, it is printed for the American market, it is not a book that has inspired me to the Paleo way of eating