Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 October 2012
Flip through "5 Very Good Reasons to Punch a Dolphin in the Mouth (& Other Useful Guides)" and this book and you'll notice something: the pictures in "How to Tell If Your Cat is Plotting to Kill You" are about a billion times bigger. It's because there's only been a year or so in between the two books and The Oatmeal (a.k.a. Matt Inman) had less new material for this one. It's therefore a lot less crammed.

This could be a good thing for those readers who don't like squinting at their favourite online comics printed in book form.

For me, it felt slightly deflating. The quality's just as high as it ever was, but is it greedy of me to ask for a tiny bit more - no other way to say this - *quantity*? The Cat-Vs-Internet series takes up 20% of the whole book.

I'm probably complaining too much. The Oatmeal is one of the very best things on the Internet and Matt Inman himself, with his work sticking it to shifty California lawyers and making a Tesla museum possible, seems like a person it'd be easy to hero worship. But I hope he's able to take his time a bit more with the next Oatmeal book.
on 2 November 2012
This book is alright, it has its (few) funny moments in the typical style of The Oatmeal, but not enough for the book to be memorable afterwards. Whereas The Oatmeal's first book "5 Very Good Reasons to Punch a Dolphin in the Mouth" is full of twisted yet funny angles that makes you want to read it over and over again, "How to Tell if Your Cat is Plotting to Kill You" does not live up to its predecessor and is easily forgotten because of the lack of variety. The theme of the book is obviously "cats" but I do not feel that The Oatmeal has used the potential of the theme fully. All in all, it is a nice book, that fans of The Oatmeal shouldn't miss. However, if you don't know who The Oatmeal is, or what his humour is like, then you probably shouldn't buy the book.
on 22 October 2012
This book popped up as an item that other people purchased when I bought "A street cat named Bob"

At first I didn't think anything of it but after reading the afore mentioned book I thought I'd look into it. I used Amazon's "look Inside" feature and after turning 2 pages I realised that I wanted it.

The cover is has a really nice finish and the pages are quite thick. The entire book is very well illustrated and is very funny. All of the diagrams and explanations in the book are so true and any cat owner will immaterially relate to what the author is saying.

I read it at work while I was having my lunch and laughed so hard that I caused a bit of a disturbance in the office. By the end of the book, trying to keep my laughter inside I had tears streaming down my face.

I love it.
on 27 August 2013
I have 'Oatmeal' on my Facebook page and I think this guy is 'totally whack'. I love it and I love this book. This is not for the faint hearted or ladies who like to knit! It's raw and funny and .. well it takes a 'certain' kinda humour. Not for everyone but I really love this book and so does my 14 y/o son :D
on 26 June 2015
If you have a cat then this book is for you. We have compared our cat to what it says in this book quite a few times and for us at least it was a very funny book. I'll be very surprized if your cat has not done at least a few of the things this book describes.
on 24 July 2014
I got this for my 23 year old sisters birthday because she has a cat and it is hilarious, well worth the buy! ( It's also cheaper than Waterstones, but don't tell anyone I said that! ) Really funny things that makes you think of your cat in a completely different aspect, purrrrrrrrrrfect for a cat lover!

( I apologise for the awful joke, but i hope this review has helped you :) )
VINE VOICEon 28 September 2014
I love the oatmeal's cartoon on the Internet but this cat themed book didn't quite hit the mark for me. I know it us an anthology of cartoons but it didn't really flow.

It is also quite short. 130 odd pages but some pages are one panel per page so it feels a bit padded out to me. I would have liked more content.
on 11 March 2016
By far the best secret santa present I have ever bought! After flicking through it I straight away bought another copy for a present for my parents who also own cats and know their 'little ways' Perfect for anyone who loves (or for that matter hates) cats! Very funny book worth a look
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 3 January 2016
If you have a cat and a sense of humour, you'll like this book. I bought it for my daughter for Christmas. She has both these requisite items, and so enjoyed the book. It isn't the kind of thing to read from cover to cover, but great humourous addition to the coffee table to dip in to now and then.
on 29 December 2014
Matthew Inman is a comedic genius! This book is simply hillarious and if you're familiar with The Oatmeal's online comics, you will love this!

As a cat owner, it's familiar stories and scenarios leave little to the imagination. The book is high quality with gloss pages and makes for a wonder addition to any bookcase/toilet/coffee table.

Many friends have flicked through and been in stitches reading the various antidotes and looking at the pictures. I can't recommend this book enough, especially if you're a cat owner. Hillarious!