Published on 11 Jun 2012 by G. D. Kendall

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as confusing as many other books on the subject!
I'm still not quite getting Javascript, but at least this book is not as confusing as many others.
Published 1 month ago by kaffesoester

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An intelligent, clear, practical guide to Javascript and jQuery, 11 Jun 2012
G. D. Kendall (UK) - See all my reviews
I like David Sawyer McFarland's teaching style; he goes to the trouble of briefly re-explaining things wherever that helps and is on a mission to have you learn, rather than be impressed with how much he knows. I have seen this book (actually, in a review of what is effectively an earlier edition, then entitled simply 'Javascript') criticised for moving fairly swiftly on to jQuery from Javascript 'pure'. However, for anyone who interested in actually getting things done, the author is doing exactly the right thing in establishing the fundamentals of Javascript, noting the extreme difficulty that inconsistent browser implementations of JS present to anyone looking to program in it, and then moving on to the technology that solves those things and makes Javascript usable - viz, jQuery. I strongly suspect that if you really studied Javascript you'd come back to jQuery as the best solution. So the smart thing to do is go direct to jQuery ASAP, and that's what you get here.

I have other books on web technology by David McFarland and they are all among the very best of the 30+ that I have read. Personally, I haven't found any errors in anything that he has written and the downloaded files are a valuable aid to the learning process - it is very useful to have these downloadable files, as you can't copy and past code from a Kindle book easily. One proviso; you should probably acquire a thorough knowledge of hands-on HTML and CSS before you attempt javascript and jQuery.

The book also provides a good number of useful code examples, covering the great majority of things you're probably wanting to use JS/jQuery for. Summary: it's an outstandingly good book and it comes with downloadable code examples that you can quickly adapt for use on your own sites.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for learning jQuery, not for JavaScript, 7 Oct 2012
This review is from: JavaScript & jQuery: The Missing Manual (Paperback)
I have mixed feelings towards this book. I guess your expectations will shape your experience with this book. If your aim is to learn quickly how to add nice stuff to your web pages, then this is a great book. It's very clear and you are nowhere stuck. Each example is properly explained step by step.
If on the other hand you want to learn JavaScript - the language - to develop in JavaScript, I don't think this is the proper book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good JQuery intro and beginners recipe book, 30 Mar 2012
Mr. Richard I. Calvert "Asparagus" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: JavaScript & jQuery: The Missing Manual (Paperback)
I was just reading this for the JQuery really - I've read about Javascript before and not really been able to use it too much, but now I see JQuery as an easy way to leverage the power of Javascript on your site.

This cookbook-type manual contains common recipes (such as an animated menus, sliders, form validation or adding Google maps) that are the tip of the iceberg of jQuery functionality, but this book opened the door for me to be able to enhance my sites in the most common (and useful) ways that jQuery offers, and I still haven't read the chapter on "regular expressions" yet.

It does seem to contain a few typos and the demo files that I downloaded had a blooper in them that confused me for a while, but this book has been very useful and I think anybody will instantly be able to add common jquery enhancements to their site by simply copying the examples from the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed - Very well written, 20 Aug 2013
This review is from: JavaScript & jQuery: The Missing Manual (Paperback)
This is the first time I log in to write a review for a book and I do so, because this book is so well written that it totally deserves it. I have read many programming books, but this is hands down the most well written, best explained and easy to follow book. I even considered using it for teaching programming to students, because it's very easy to follow and to the point.

+ easy to read and to the point
+ good exercises written in a way that makes it very easy to complete and see the results
+ everything contained is thoroughly explained

- is probably going too slow and is very repetitive, which I didn't mind since it helps printing what you learn well in your mind. You can skip many sentences, paragraphs or even sections, if you want to go fast, but it gives such a feeling of thoroughness that personally didn't mind reading the same concept being explained again and again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy Guide, 5 Dec 2012
This review is from: JavaScript & jQuery: The Missing Manual (Paperback)
For those wanting to learn JQuery and dont know much about Javascript, This book is a good guide as it takes you through with steps by steps guide on what you can use JQuery to achieve. Recommended for starters as well as intermediate developers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Idiotproof solution, 27 Jun 2013
This review is from: JavaScript & jQuery: The Missing Manual (Paperback)
If you're a coder looking to get into javascript and using jquery this pretty much has it all. It starts off basic and covers the fundamentals well but is all about implementation. This is a book you can use, not just read and then read again because the first pass didn't sink in. It's not even worth thinking about. Buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended buy for anyone relatively new, 24 April 2013
Although I can't yet compare it to other javascript/jquery books, I've read lots of technical books of this sort and this compares well in terms of readability and depth. Style is good and the delivery relaxed and friendly. I particularly like the extensive cross-referencing so if you're the middle of a topic, and can't remember something it's based on, the hyperlink takes you to the section you need to recap.
Read this and you won't want to do without jquery. Start with a javascript only book and you would waste a lot of time.
It's not so much a manual as a guide but to me that's a positive thing. It's definitely bootstrapped my understanding and plans

5.0 out of 5 stars a very enjoyable and useful book, 1 April 2013
This review is from: JavaScript & jQuery: The Missing Manual (Paperback)
I wrote an extensive review of David Sawyer McFarland's (DSM) CSS book. I have become quite the fan.
The thing with Javascript and with Jquery is that you can basically do just about anything and go from very basic useful scripts all the way to creating professional online games that are networked. DSM keeps the focus of this book on non-programmers who want to add useful effects and interactivity to their web pages. It's not particularly advanced, but it is very well explained and gives (IMO) an excellent and very gently sloping introduction to all the key aspects of using JQuery (there are 3 introductory chapters on Javascript and they are useful but quite pared down)

I think this book is a great place to start so that you 'get' the philosophy of JQuery (which is gorgeously well made I think) and then if you want to become some kind of Ninja or guru, there are quite a few other books out there that will push the envelope.
I read it prior to going to a course on .net server side development and I think it did the job I now feel pretty confident that I understand the thinking behind JQuery.

it covers pretty much everything from how JQuery uses CSS selectors to home in on the DOM , to having useful ways of hiding and showing extra panels, using very sophisticated JQuery plugins for photo galleries, forms handling and validation and finally to Ajax with a simple but instructive pair of examples.

As usual with DSM the book is very well written, quite witty and has an excellent easily downloadable set of tutorial files, that all work. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to get their feet wet with JQuery and after that, there are many other sources of info for deepening that knowledge. More and more I find that once you have a way 'in' to a technology, you've conquered half the problem. You start to grasp the thinking behind the design and what the possibilities are. This book is a great 'in' I think.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended Book for Newbies, 23 Feb 2013
This review is from: JavaScript & jQuery: The Missing Manual (Paperback)
I went through some JavaScript books around 7 years back. That time JavaScript and HTML were basically for hobby programmers. As my company had just bagged a project to replace SAP WDPs with BSPs for better user control, I had to breath life to my old JavaScript skills which I thought was redundant (being in SAP Field). Based on user ratings I opted for this book and I'am NOT disappointed.

Chapter 1 introduces us to the first JavaScript program. Author asks us to type version 1.6.3 of JQuery, but in his completed page he has typed 1.7.2. My script worked only after I typed the new version.

In chapter 2 author has given examples of variables. In the example for declaring multiple variables in one JavaScript statement, he could have used different types of variables instead of ONLY boolean. In this chapter I experimented a lot by putting double quotes and single quotes. The author could also have done this in exercises to drive home the point about the interchangeability of the quotes.

In the 3rd chapter, author has explained the multi dimensional Array with example in a simple easy to understand lingo. Also by trying out the Simple Quiz tutorial, I missed a lot of closing brackets and learnt how to debug in the browser (IE in my case).

I planned to complete 1 part every week, But my plans hit the road block once I reached part 2. i,e as soon as the JQuery introduction started. Author has taken all the pains to explain the concepts of JQuery. As usual he has asked us to refer to JQuery version 1.6.3 in exercises. After I completed the exercises nothing was working and then when I compared with the completed files (Which author has given), Author has referred to version 1.7.2. By correcting just the version the JS code started working.

Upto chapter 5 author has given exercises for us to work along with completed files. From chapter 6 onwards author has given a few completed files ONLY with code explanation. I started getting dizzy when I came to the topic Multiple call back functions, However the Author has explained this so well that I was able to complete the exercise of adding one more extra call back function.

Chapter 7 polishes our skills with a lot of interesting coding. By the time I reached this place, I was pretty confidant of coding and was able to go through the instructions quickly (except for the regular expression). I was able to complete the fancy box coding even before the actual step by step tutorial started at the last section of chapter 7. Author has given some extra files in the tutorial downloads. The expectation is you work on these files yourself.

In chapter 8, I became a bit adventurous and followed my own naming conventions for classes. As my scripts did NOT work for iframe, I realized that fancybox plugin has hardcoded the name iframe in their program so I HAD TO name my link class as iframe for the script to work

Author has discussed the JQuery plugins well. He could have done some remote loading examples also. The advanced validation part in Chapter 9 is quite code intensive. I missed a comma after rules (before starting the messages) and this made the page act funny. However this is entirely my own mistake. Author repeatedly warns us of missing commas and closing braces.

No example files have been given for topic DETERMINING THE SIZE AND POSTION OF PAGE ELEMENTS in chapter 10. Sample files explaining the CSS concepts would have been valuable as the topic itself is too theoretical with a lot of CSS elements being discussed.

Author has given details on how to retrieve values received as XML data in chapter 11. I just read through the AJAX getFunction() tutorial without working out, as we have our own SAP ABAP program for server side processing. There is a syntax error in the code given by the author for AJAX Login form. You can work this out with the debugger.
No examples have been given for JSON Data and objects

After finishing part 4, I started off designing my project JQuery only to hasten back to the book to finish off the final part 5. This final section was really useful and I read it with my project requirements in my mind. The sub topic Traversing the DOM was very useful in successfully demonstrating my newly acquired skills to the customer.

A must read, Debugging chapter should have been discussed earlier as this would have helped the readers to trouble shoot in the following topics. The author explains this well in a step by step tutorial. Most of my debugging was in IE9 without installing firebug. All I did was to select F12 in IE9 and followed the author's tutorial and it worked like charm. I was able to fix the error even before going to the step where the author reveals it.

The HTML in the tutorial files could have been more user friendly. In many instances I had to format the code in text files, else all the tags were occurring repeatedly one after the other.

Also the sample tutorial web pages have text in Latin (I found this by googling). Since the book is in English, the texts could also have been in English .

My requirement was to just learn the concepts of JavaScript and apply it minimally and use my expertise in serverside programming (ABAP in my case). This book serves the purpose by introducing JQuery which simplifies the JavaScript programming. If you want to take up JavaScript / JQuery as a profession, you have to continue reading other advanced topic books. For my own requirements, I might have to dive deeper into AJAX.

I will recommend this book to anyone who doesn't want to be going into the JQuery documentation. I made a futile attempt to go through the DHTML documentation, but this was too complicated especially for someone like me who just wanted to learn JavaScript / DHTML for hobby programming. This book has made the topic simpler with easy to test codes. Also this book has driven home the fact that using JQuery, we could combine JavaScript and DHTML and get lively web pages with a few lines of coding.

Be aware that you need to have some CSS background before your jump in.

CONCULSION - RECOMMENDED BOOK for Write less, Do More (JQuery Motto).

4.0 out of 5 stars More JQuery than Javascript, 7 Jun 2014
This review is from: JavaScript & jQuery: The Missing Manual (Paperback)
In a nutshell, this book plows through the Javascript fundamentals but focuses mostly on JQuery, especially in the practical examples. I found it to be a little dry in parts, but overall would probably be useful to the aspiring Web Designer/ Developer who just wants to enhance their html/css. If you want a book that acts as a launching platform into application development or node, this is not the book for you.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

JavaScript & jQuery: The Missing Manual
JavaScript & jQuery: The Missing Manual by David Sawyer McFarland (Paperback - 31 Oct 2011)
12.40