Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 September 2011
Let's be honest ... this isn't the kind of thing one sits down to read in the same kind of way one does for a Tom Clancy thriller: I generally buy these to use as a reference when once I've got over the initial/inevitable questions arising from becoming familiar to some degree with new software: as a result of this policy there are five missing manuals on my bookshelves now and they are regarded as essential as an arm or a leg; wouldn't wish to be without any one of them!!! And Office 2011 ... (the most recent acquisition) simply reinforces my sense of good judgement.
Being mortal myself - and therefore necessarily (slightly less than perfect) - I reckon helped me discern the merit of David Pogue's initial venture, on the basis that 'it takes one to recognise one' 'nuff said !?
on 28 February 2011
I have used office software for some years now but I'm sure like alot of other users there is allways times when you dont know exactly how to do certain things. This book is a must for those users, the way it is laid out and explains each part of the office system is superb.
on 9 March 2011
A great resource! Clear Table of Contents and good, clear easy to follow instructions.

I couldn't use Office 2011 before I had this to hand. Now I love using it.

I recommend anyone who hasn't the time to learn by experimentation to buy this manual.
on 27 January 2013
Rated 4 rather than 5 stars because though it is very comprehensive it is very wordy with long complicated sentences in small type. It needs a firm editor to cut out all the excess verbiage. Manuals should not be written as essays in English. I'm a speed reader but even I find I'm getting brain fatigue trying to find which button to press to take an action and at 790+ pages it is very heavy. Having said that, the index is good and I have found what I needed to, when needed.
on 13 May 2011
We researched all the "how to" text books available for Mac when we first bought our Mac and chose the "Missing Manual" series for Office 2004. For us it was the right choice and consequently we have used the "Missing Manuals" for Mac series ever since as we have not found one to rival them. So far we have found them practical and easy to understand. Furthermore, they help to circumnavigate the issue of not being able to call up the information from the "Help" menu on the Mac because you have exhausted all terms you can think that those "over the pond" might have used to label the particular topic you are looking for! When you do find the topic in the book (which is easy to do), the information and steps are straightforward and easy to follow.
on 26 July 2011
Microsoft Office 2011 is a big leap in Mac world. It is faster, more stable and filled with lots of new features. It has a new look and feel as well. If you are like me, you'd rather stay with old good interface you have gotten used to. On the other hand, world will not wait and you have to follow the trend. This is the place were Office 2011 for Macintosh comes in handy. It helps you adapt to new circumstances, to completely redesigned user interface. I will not discuss the whole book here, because I don't use Outlook and Power Point at all - I simply don't belong to target group for these two products. However, when it comes to Word and Excel I can tell that Chris have done really good job. You will get basic information related to creating documents, templates, manipulating ribbon (quite useful), using style (believe me, I know people who format documents using Enter and space). Book discusses topics related to references and references management. This is really great feature that Pages '09 miss and makes Office better suited for scientific papers (unless you can not imagine anything else than LaTeX). Huge advantage of 2011 version is Visual Basic that was not available in 2008 edition for Mac. This is really, really huge step forward for Microsoft Office in Mac world. It makes this suite even more interesting. Chris touches slightly this topic, however you will be left unfulfilled. I'd recommend here Microsoft Office Excel 2007 Visual Basic for Applications Step by Step instead - if you are interested in Visual Basic programming. However, it's nice of Chris that he touches this topic as it is definitely worth mentioning. What I have found really interesting was explanation of pivot tables. Pivot tables are the endless topic of miss understanding. Lots of people can not get used to use them. Chris explains this topic very clearly and covers it with lots of examples. After reading this chapter you should say that you don't understand pivot tables no more. I really enjoyed reading this book. I like the way material is presented - nicely formatted content, lots of examples, simple language. Keep in mind, however, that book addresses beginners and it doesn't cover all the aspects of Microsoft Office 2011.
on 26 February 2014
I have tried to use this book to help me use Office and while it's full of information, the basics e.g. "what does X mean?" and "how do I" are often ignored. For instance it is very clear in insisting that large photo files should be reduced when sending emails but does not explain how to do it. Isn't that what a guide is for? Also, shouldn't a guide have a glossary?
At the time of this review I am unaware of another book covering Microsoft Office 2011 for the Macintosh. Consequently it has no competition with which to compare it. It is, as I would expect, very comprehensive and bang up to date having been published within the last month. It is, of course, written with the latest MacOS operating system, Snow Leopard, in mind.

I like 'the missing manual' series which rivals Microsofts own publications. I have 8 volumes in 'the missing manual' series of which this is the latest.
on 27 February 2013
The Manual is fine - the learning curve for a long standing user of Windows has been rather intense!

We're getting there gradually though!

Best regards and thanks
on 22 February 2013
This is my favourite series in computing reading source and have never failed me and have no reserve in recommend it to any new and intermediate users