5.0 out of 5 stars NOW I GET IT...
Published on 24 Nov 2010 by R. Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Not that good even for beginners.
I've been coding in Java (amongst other languages) for the last 10 years and have extensive knowledge of coding and OO but even so I bought this book because I have a lot of respect for the Head Fist series and have enjoyed lots of their other titles in the past - I accepted the fact I would be skipping over sections that explain OOP and some of the basics. However, this...
Published on 20 Oct 2010 by MR M

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars NOW I GET IT..., 24 Nov 2010
R. Smith (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Head First C# (Head First Guides) (Paperback)
I have to say I've read about 40 different books on many programming languages and technologies over the years, and this is the first book I've actually raved about to others. Visually the book appears to be very messy at first, but your brain absorbs the info in bite size chunks and the hand written style notes chat away about questions that naturally occur to you as you try to absorb the complex concepts of the C sharp language and syntax.

I've read about many of the concepts in other books about C++ (interfaces virtual classes,polymorphism etc.), but never actually understood the true nature or power of some of the concepts until now. Each chapter I have many OH NOW I GET IT moments which drive you on to learn more and more.

Unusually, the book offers examples of common bugs that show what won't work / compile and then explains why, which is just great to help get your head around why much of the structural parts of the language were invented in the first place.

The examples are very cunning at shoe horning knowledge into your head without you realizing it, and surprisingly good fun to learn with. The themed nature of each exercise fits the subject matter perfectly. I am in awe of the amount of careful planning and work the authors have put into this book.

Can't praise this title enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Why wasn't this the first book i bought?, 28 Sep 2011
This review is from: Head First C# (Head First Guides) (Paperback)
All the above reviews are true - i bought this book after reading these reviews.
Been a 80's Basic programmer, and a 90's PASCAL i wanted to get into the 21st century by learning C#

Oh why - oh why wasn't this the first book i purchased?

I have at least 5 other books, and they all start with the normal "Hello world" app. and the first 4 chapters explaining what variable is etc.
The first project in this book let's you use database, and makes you create an installer :O

In short, this book is fun, easy and get's you started right away highly recommend it for anybody wanting to learn C#

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic help so far, 5 April 2011
This review is from: Head First C# (Head First Guides) (Paperback)
I have been studying computers for 2yrs with a well known company Computeach, and just started C#.The first thing I do is go to the forum and see what other students recommend.This was top of list, I have only just begun but not only is it clearly describing C# from the very beginning but gives you very good tips on how to study.It is so much better than the over complicated manuals that have been sent to me by the college at a very expensive price.So with this book I feel alot more confident in being able to understand and pass the exams.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute buy, 13 Dec 2010
This review is from: Head First C# (Head First Guides) (Paperback)
I have spent alot of money on books, courses ect and these series of books are by far the most effective.

They start at the basics and work you through fun and exciting projects that really make you snile .. it ignores all the boring put me to sleep stuff and before you know it you are creating loops, making ganes and so much more.

spent 5,550 on a computing course aimed at programming with VB.NET ... thewy sent me out tons of books aimed at advance users of .NET Framework and didnt have a scooby what the heck it was on about and you got little support .. the company you ask? ... Computeach.

They expect you to be a programmer already and pass exams with 90% before they allow you to do the real thing .. in other words very little students will do this that way they make money by saving on splashing out for exams as they know the tagret is unrealistic.

so i spent 30 quid or so and got this book and now learning to code way past i estimated ... and now have a solid understanding of programming and can now move on to reinforce what i know and start making some real cash out there and land my self a Ferrari F-430! :p

much recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to learn, quick to code, 23 July 2012
Raul Leite (Lisbon, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Head First C# (Head First Guides) (Paperback)
Although there are more than a dozen books written about C# (in particular, the 2010 edition) from beginner to advanced level, very few can easily introduce a programmer to the C# language and the .Net 4.0 framework as easily as Head First C#.

From the first page, instead of inducing sleep with page after page, chapter after chapter, of object-oriented programming and Visual Studio IDE definitions (that may put off first-time coders),the writers quickly immerse the reader into the ins and outs of the language, coding (practical) applications, slowly introducing all the definitions and intricacies of the C# language, whilst facilitating the assimilation of the concepts with a "friendly" visual and textual style approach.

Throughout the book there are several challenging projects the reader can and should write, covering all the aspects of said language and framework: database querying, drawing graphics and animations, object-oriented programming, etc...

Experienced programmers won't find here any programming gems or answer to their problems; more advanced topics like refactoring, serialization, Windows Presentation Foundation, enumerations, etc., are glimpsed over only a few pages in the left-over chapters at the end of the book, books abound which treat this and other subjects as easily as Head First C#. For the beginner, this is already a book full of work! A must buy for anyone interested in the C# language.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exelent book, 19 Jun 2011
This review is from: Head First C# (Head First Guides) (Paperback)
It's really wonderful book. I'm from those types who only can learn something when someone pointing with finger to the screen or standing behind and explaining step by step. But reading this had same effect- understood everything from first sentence. No annoying employee - employers things, no jargon explains with even more jargon and (thank goodness) no "we will discuss more specific about this on chapters 11, 17, 25".

Five stars with no hesitation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, fun book, 2 Sep 2011
Lee (Leeds UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Head First C# (Head First Guides) (Paperback)
As an experienced developer it seemed that this book wasn't for me, and true it does cover some old ground.

However I like the fun approach and the way it uses exercises to turn the theory into something you can use. If you don't have the chance to go on an instructor led course, or want to do some self-education in your own time this book is an excellent way to start coding in .NET.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great intro to C#, 7 April 2014
O. Hancox - See all my reviews
A very good introduction to the language. I don't really buy into the head first style being 'unique' in any way, but the presentational style is still clear and concise. I prefer Visual C# Programming 2012 by Wrox (Read my review on that too.). That is far chunkier and much more in depth.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: Head First C# (Head First Guides) (Paperback)
I like this book a lot and this was my second Head First book as at the time I bought it I just wanted a refresher on C#. I'm not too keen on the crazy imagery in the book as it does tend to lead you off course (i.e. giggling at the black and white pictures). What I do like are the simple "learn by example" scenarios that are presented in the book. I'm not too keen on the exercises at the end either as I prefer to learn by working examples and then tinkering with them to do something different. I've also used it as a reference book for structuring some simple code. I've bought the physical as well as electronic copies of the book. All in all a well written and structured book - but for the next please cut out the crazy imagery, have more examples - well, that's my preference :)

5.0 out of 5 stars No computer science student should be without it, 26 Dec 2013
This review is from: Head First C# (Head First Guides) (Paperback)
Bought this as a present and it went down REALLY well.Very easy to use apparently so "Tick VG"!
All of the Head Start books we've bought have been really good and are highly recommended (No, I'm not an employee).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb4f6d87c)

Head First C# (Head First Guides)
Head First C# (Head First Guides) by Jennifer Greene (Paperback - 31 May 2010)
Used & New from: 21.27