5.0 out of 5 stars TDD Convert, 26 Aug. 2014
R. Bailey (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Test-Driven Development with Python (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. It does not go into the fine details about any particular language, but instead concentrates on the TDD process and and how it fits within each phase development and deployment.
It does cover a lot of areas, and for someone like myself who was completely new to web development, it was a lot to take in. Stick with it though as it is worth putting the effort in. You feel like you have learnt so much by the end.
You know enough about each area to get started and are comfortable enough to get stuck in by yourself with the more advanced things. There is a great on-line community for help when you get stuck or just want to discuss relevant ideas.
I am now totally converted to TDD. Also Linux and Git.

5.0 out of 5 stars Django testing bible, 14 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Test-Driven Development with Python (Paperback)
This is an excellent resource for django developers, providing a comprehensive and detailed coverage of everything you need to know about testing your django code.
For a topic as important as testing, it is surprisingly difficult to find good documentation. For example, django's own documentation is rather minimal. This book then provides a much needed resource. Needless to say it goes far beyond the basics of simple unit testing and shows how to essentially automatically test a full interactive django + javascript website using functional tests and selenium, etc.
In brief, if you are building a non-trivial django powered website, you will need to test everything (or else be prepared for it to crash and burn) and unless you know everything already, this book will be a vital resource.
Highly recommended.

(One thing I should add is that the title is a bit misleading. It really should be 'Test-Driven Development with *Django*' or possibly 'Test-Driven *Web* Development with Python'. I presume this present title was decided by O'Reilly marketing in the hope of catching a wider audience. Frankly, it did not really bother me as I knew about the topic of the book even before it was published as I had watched the author's videos on youtube. However, I can imagine that it might annoy some others who are expecting a more general topic.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Really wish I'd found this when starting out with Django ..., 18 July 2014
Toby (Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Test-Driven Development with Python (Paperback)
Really wish I'd found this when starting out with Django. This combined with Two Scoops Of Django and a bit of background knowledge of Python and web development should set anyone on their way.

If you've never used TDD before all I can say is that it almost completely removes that nagging fear that you've built a house of cards that could come tumbling down if you make a change. If that doesn't sell it to you then you've not been a developer long.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well balanced between important ideas and necessary detail, 5 Nov. 2014
Iain (South West England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Test-Driven Development with Python (Paperback)
I really appreciate the author's attention to detail. Just the right balance, so as not to lose the view from above whilst being very clear about (to me) very important disclosures about his thought process. At random: “But we won’t do them [refactoring] right away, because right now our application is in a broken state.” Again: His thinking out loud about why you’d tend to Model Layer validation rather towards a plethora of form validation. Good to think about; good to hear his reasoning.

I think the author'a been very clever to combine so large a number of really important ideas and, at the same time, pay justice to them with just the right amount of detail.

It’s so important, this detail. The hundreds of little micro-decisions a programmer decides during each hour of programming: what to call this variable? should I commit now? should I refactor yet? Is it worth writing a test for this? I should break this file / function into smaller pieces as I’m losing control of the idea ….

So, to be able to read along with the author's thought processes as we explore new ways of doing things: making micro-decisions about new things we’re just getting to grips with and that still feel a little unfamiliar under our fingers … I very much and appreciate this book. It’s certainly been an eye-opener for me.

Plus ... it's an enjoyable read!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most useful development books I've read, 5 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Test-Driven Development with Python (Paperback)
Test-Driven Development with Python is an excellent introduction to "real world" development. At the same time as clearly explaining the concepts of Test-Driven Development, Harry masterfully demonstrates them by walking through a real development scenario. Where most books focus only on a small subset of the development process, usually coding, this book looks at the entire stack and how TDD fits in. If you follow it properly, expect to learn about: Git, Python, TDD, Django, Virtualenv, provisioning servers, domain names provisioning and mapping and how TDD fits into these aspects of the development cycle.

I would recommend this book for people who have an appreciation of what the technology being used is trying to do, although you needn't be particularly experienced in it. If you're a complete beginner you could follow along as it is done step by step, but you might find it a bit tricky...(but if you see it through you'll be a better developer than a lot out there).

If you already have a few years experience as a developer but haven't used much Python and Django or haven't done much web development then I think you potentially stand to learn a lot from reading this book.

I wish I had read it years ago and look forward to what Harry has to offer in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars But it REALLY is the best book on TDD I've read - I'm not just ..., 15 Sept. 2014
J. Hartley "tartley" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Test-Driven Development with Python (Paperback)
I was a technical reviewer on the book, and have worked with the author. But it REALLY is the best book on TDD I've read - I'm not just saying that!

Throughout, I was impressed that it doesn't skip over the hard bits, but follows it's chosen example application down every avenue of problems you might encounter doing TDD on your own projects. Difficult to test code? Learn how to fix it. Find it hard to differentiate between unit and system level tests? This is made easy. Problems interacting with slow or unreliable I/O? It's covered. Integrating asynchronous components? No problem. Introducing javascript to your Python web project? Explained in patient and loving detail. Running tests on your production or testing servers when you deploy? Demonstrated in detail.

All of this is done in a lively & endearing style that keeps engagement & enthusiasm high while sticking to the point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 July 2014
This review is from: Test-Driven Development with Python (Paperback)
One of the best Django books I've read. It really nails test-driven development.

5.0 out of 5 stars so much more than TDD, 27 Nov. 2014
As a long time user of Django and TDD fan (though not as disciplined as I could be), I got this book to get me up to speed with django testing changes in recent versions. What I got was:
A practical approach to testing my whole app, including the javascript
How to use django's new migration function
How to use fabric
How to setup Jenkins
All of which was on my todo list, and I hadn't even finished the book!

Thanks Harry for a really readable and useful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars system environments or configurations are required and it communicates that Harry has taken great care in choosing the surroundi, 11 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Test-Driven Development with Python (Paperback)
In this book, Harry constructs and introduces the reader into the world of Test Driven Development. His examples are well thought out and evenly paced.
No unwiedly IDEs, system environments or configurations are required and it communicates that Harry has taken great care in choosing the surrounding frameworks. These decisions will no doubt prove themselves in years to come, as I expect the book will age much better than most technical books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 24 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Test-Driven Development with Python (Paperback)
Genuinely useful. A step by step hands on approach to TDD techniques using django. I found I learned a lot both about TDD and Django in the process. Although it didn't make me an instant convert to full blown TDD i found the journey worthwhile and stimulating ! Highly recommended.

Test-Driven Development with Python
Test-Driven Development with Python by Harry J.W. Percival (Paperback - 29 Jun. 2014)