4.0 out of 5 stars Good book but...
I've only just received the book a month after I ordered it because the release date kept getting set back which I assume is the publishers fault so Amazon wasn't to blame, on to the book.

Published 6 months ago by Sean K

2.0 out of 5 stars An Annoying Update
Published 6 months ago by Alehotep

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book but..., 29 Sep 2013
This review is from: Head First C# (Paperback)

From what I've read the book is brilliant it has a sense of humour and also has very helpful notes about what techniques it uses to try and help you remember what your reading and how it writes in a conversational style so you don't feel like your being lectured which everyone will know is boring from going to school.

I have the same problem as some other people which is that it wasn't explicitly told to me that the book focused on windows store app development and basically required windows 8 otherwise you go to the website and download a PDF that tells you how to make the equivalent of a windows store app using windows presentation foundation (WPF) project format instead but it is rather annoying to follow the PDF and switch to the program, also I noticed some stuff in the book explaining points that the PDF did not cover however its small gaps that I could figure out myself. Also the PDF is free which begs why buy the book? but then again the PDF is about 160 pages whereas the book is like 700 so there must be something.

My opinion is if you want to get into programming and have windows 8 and are happy with it, buy the book you'll be fine and you will certainly learn C#. As for people like me who aren't bothered about windows 8 and are happy with windows 7 I wouldn't bother because your putting too much effort into just following when to use the PDF and when to use the book which is explained but I think not everything is explained in the PDF. As for me I'm currently at University doing computing and the computers there have windows 8 so I'm going to see if I can take the book in there and work on it but I have also ordered the 2nd edition of this book in the hopes it will only need windows 7 as it said it uses visual studio 2010.

I hope this is helpful for anyone considering buying this, if anything I said is wrong or you feel is unfair to the book please let me know so I can explain myself or change it, thanks and good luck with C#.

4.0 out of 5 stars Actually, better than I expected., 27 Jan 2014
Rick (Suffolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Head First C# (Paperback)
The reviewer is a 60 year old Electronics Engineer with decades programming in Assembler.

Jumping straight in to C# is daunting and I have stated before that you WILL end up with more than one book on C#.
THIS is my fourth. (or is it 5)
Forgetting Windows 8 and assuming the OBJECT is to learn C#, I was impressed ESPECIALLY as this book ALONE gave me the ONLY explanation about Get{}; Set{}; that made INSTANT sense and proved my oft made point that SOME books on C# exist only to make the author sound clever. This book really impressed me however and though my skills are growing in C#, a novice will find this book MUCH easier to read and understand than other books on the same subject.
Certainly, Namespaces and Classes are explained FAR better than I have seen elsewhere.
I now understand "Encapsulation" and "Accessors" though I struggle to find a use for them immediately, it's another veil drawn back.

If I have ONE criticism it is that the camelCase and the OtherCase is pushed to excess as we are certainly not going to be writing (or editing) "Professional" code, so these conventions are good to know about BUT in the context of education, using numberOfCows and NumberOfCows in the same function does not, in MY view help me because whilst I appreciate they are COMPLETELY different, thisNumberOfCows and myNumberOfCows is easier to perceive as different than 'n' and 'N' as I find myself reading the WORDS not necessarily scanning for a case change so I found this convention, as in most C# books, a trifle annoying. The above was a factor in the Get{}; Set{}; explanation that I found so helpful.

IF I was cast away on an island and had to take just ONE book on C#, I would pick this one BUT I would need all three of my books, leaving my 4th, C# for dummies to light fires with as well written though this book is, it is the standard size and so cannot possibly cover all the things you need to know about C# that the other books explain in some detail as well.
I do like the style and that facts are repeated more than once in differering fonts and styles, so you do not get "word blind" to pages of lines of text.

It does help to have Visual Studio 2012 loaded (it's free) and though I have shunned the exercises for other reasons, these are a helpful option.

I have a specific need for C# that does not include Farming or making a video game or a database but this book has been most helpful.
Certainly worth adding to your library.
I repeat that you WILL own more than one book on C#. This one is a 'keeper'.

2.0 out of 5 stars An Annoying Update, 17 Oct 2013
This review is from: Head First C# (Paperback)
I have been impressed by these books as they make tough subjects interesting. I had bought the previous edition on as an e book and was struggling with the format (finding the vital code text very small and a bit awkward to navigate). So I thought I would update to the latest edition on paper also so I could use it as a reference more easily. Unfortunately the first few chapters are entirely devoted to Windows 8 format. There is a PDF which you are encouraged to download that allows you to build the same projects on earlier operating systems, but this does mean I have ended up reading from a screen again, just what I was trying to avoid by buying the book. It even says in the Appendix that it would be a good idea for Windows 8 users to go back and build the projects using the older (WPF) way. It would have seemed a better idea to make that the content of the book and release a PDF for Windows 8 users, rather than exclude the many of us who have not updated yet.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good if you have windows 8, 15 April 2014
This review is from: Head First C# (Paperback)
You need visual Studio 2013 to follow these tutorials, although WPF tutorials are offered these are in digital format and so defeats the object of buying a book, when the ebook is cheaper anyway.

What I read was good and ideal for a beginner.

5.0 out of 5 stars good for beginners and intermediates, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: Head First C# (Paperback)
I've spent a few years on and off trying to learn c# but this is the first book I've stuck with. It has an excellent layout and the community support is #1

ARRAY(0x1087b2ac)

Head First C#
Head First C# by Andrew Stellman (Paperback - 16 Sep 2013)
23.87