5.0 out of 5 stars The bible for all new (and old) apple mac users.
Published 22 months ago by andyhay

2.0 out of 5 stars Only for the Under 40's
This book's fine if you are familiar with Macs rather than PC's, have an iPhone, want your computer for music and films, and like ephemeral teenage American terms. Finding anything is difficult. This book is extremely wordy. Unfortunately the steps in any operation aren't numbered. All diagrams are in monochrome.
Published 5 months ago by Jim, London, England

5.0 out of 5 stars The bible for all new (and old) apple mac users., 14 Sep 2012
This review is from: OS X Mountain Lion: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals) (Paperback)
Firstly let me state that I was new to Apple Mac, as of two weeks, and as such decided i needed a comprehensive manual to guide me though what I anticipated being a few months of confusion and brain drain. Yes I had purchased the 'one to one sessions' from apple at the point of purchase, but still wanted to get to now the mac in person and at the outset, before bumbling on and getting into bad habits etc etc.

So I did my research on the numerous different books available ( and I do mean books, you know the heavy, nice paper things), despite Mountain Lion being newly released. Basically I did internet reviews, knowing how fickle and subjective they can be, and looked at actual copies of the previous additions for lion, snow leopard etc.

Let me tell you... the change / move over to the Mac IS NOT as painful as expected, praise the lord, however there is so much to take in as these computers will blow your socks off with their wizardry and as such you will need help. I spent quite a few hours watching the different tutorials on the apple site and particularly youtube etc and would recommend all new users to do this it will make your transition a pleasurable one.

Then, when you have a little insight into the basics and fundamentals of the Mac you will need this book, the most valuable tool money can buy, its quite simply amazing! It's just the most comprehensive book you could purchase and why Apple don't supply one of these with every sale I will never know.

Its very easy to understand, smartly written with the odd line of humor every now and then and really is the bible to the Mac. Currently I am only a third of the way through it and sit when ever I can at my iMac with the book at the side of me working my way though page by page, its actually a pleasure. One of the best bits though are the tips provided that you may never otherwise become aware of, they save you time and open up more of the macs abilities which are seemingly endless.

So i would highly recommend you buy a copy as soon as possible ....... you will be amazed ....

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthy successor of its predecessors, 28 Jan 2013
Thomas Milne (Strathaven, Lanarkshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Upgrading from a pre-Intel Mac G4 to an iMac running Mountain Lion I was unprepared for the phase shift in the computing experience. It's not really an upgrade it's a whole (highly cool) new computing environment. A bit daunting when you encounter it at my age (75). Pogue's book is the one that got me through it, as did their predecessors in their day. This is not a facile run through the highlights of the OS, as contained in many smaller and more accessible volumes. This one has EVERYTHING you will ever need to know. When your Mac suddenly presents you with a silly screen, a weird window, or a strange sidebar, turn to Pogue to find out why it is doing it, whether you should care, and what if anything you should do about it. Don't try to read it from front to back. Read it from the index, and just go for the bit you need to know at the time. Gradually you will build up an amazing bank of useful knowledge about the lovely big cat under your fingertips. It is an essential guide to every aspect of both "How to" and "What's going on" Go on. Make your Mac experience even more wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very easy to follow book, 4 Feb 2013
Working my way through the book. My husband has also dabbled in it to find answers to specific queries.
Written in a way that is easy to understand. I don't usually look at these books because I find that the information is hard to follow. The Mac programmes are so easy to use and I am finding this book really helpful. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent manual, 23 Feb 2013
This manual has been thoroughly researched and contains lots of helpful advice. It describes techniques which are not obvious or hidden. This is a far better guide than the Dummies equivalent.

4.0 out of 5 stars OSX Mountain Lion The Missing Manual, 22 Jan 2013
J. R. McOuat "R M 35" (Lewes Sussex UK) - See all my reviews
I originally got the Kindle version of this book but found I needed more and bought the print version. I find it first class having just come back to a Mac from Windows 7. Before the Windows 7 I had a pre Intel G5 and things have moved on in the Mac world since then. This book has helped me immensely with my new Mac Mini. When having difficulty it is easy to find the solution although I did have to call Apple help when I needed to get a new administrator password 4 stars.

R McOuat

5.0 out of 5 stars A first class easy to follow guide, 5 April 2013
As a new convert to an Apple laptop I have found this guide an invaluable help improving my poor computing skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is what it says, 5 April 2013
G. C. Howe (North East UK) - See all my reviews
It has solved my problems so far.... Great.
But wish I had time to read it all, & remember it.

5.0 out of 5 stars OS X Mountain Lion: The Missing Manual, 30 Mar 2013
A really great book,very helpful,just about covers everything,would not be with out it,would also recommend it,truely the The Missing Manual,thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars Very clear and understandable book, 17 Mar 2013
I liked the clear text that assisted me to understand the new product.
I would recommend this to others considering updating to Mountain Lion

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 20 Mar 2013
Having suffered Windows in its various reincarnations over 30 years, making the move to a Mac left me feeling a bit apprehensive. This book alone has helped me enormously. Technical concepts are explained in straightforward language, subjects are easy to find and various items are graded according to the readers ability and knowledge. Readable throughout but more useful to dip into and out of, as you explore.

OS X Mountain Lion: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
OS X Mountain Lion: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals) by David Pogue (Paperback - 20 Aug 2012)
22.61