4.0 out of 5 stars Good book!
Very helpful, well written, good examples have helped broaden my approach to design MapReduce tasks! Would recommend to those looking into Big Data!
Published 9 months ago by Benjamin Baumguertel

Great if you are already familiar with the framework APIs and want some easy intro into some common patterns. Unlikely to learn a lot if you have significant experience, as you probably will have thought of these approaches already. Still, might be useful to put names to them.
Published 1 month ago by Paul Richards

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book!, 12 Nov 2013
This review is from: MapReduce Design Patterns: Building Effective Algorithms and Analytics for Hadoop and Other Systems (Paperback)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great if you are already familiar with the framework APIs ..., 26 July 2014
Paul Richards (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Not an easy go, 23 Dec 2012
I admit, this was not a good idea to start MapReduce adventure by jumping directly into Design Patterns. However, I had my goal in it. Long, long time ago in a C++ galaxy far away there was a design patterns related book: "Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software". And it was good.

"MapReduce Design Patters" tries to be something similar within MapReduce area. However, this book focuses on the implementation too much. If you are not familiar with MapReduced yet, it will not help you becoming fascinated about the whole idea. After reading dozen of pages I had to start from the scratch by looking for some additional MapReduce introductions before I have gotten back to this one.

It's really hard for me to judge the technical side of the book. This is entirely my fault as I am completely new to MapReduce. Yes, I know, it was like
jumping in at the deep end. However, I was hoping that design patterns will be presented in more general way, more the way design patterns were presented in already mentioned "Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software". My point is. I don't claim that MapReduce Design Patterns is written badly. No, not at all. On the other hand, if you'd like to become more familiar with the general idea of MapReduce, this is not a good place to start.

Big plus goes to the authors for collecting various patterns and indexing them in a one place.

And one more explanation. This book is not designed for the complete beginners like me myself. Authors themselves say: "The motivation for us to write this book was to fill a missing gap we saw in a lot of new MapReduce developers. They had learned how to use the system, got comfortable with writing MapReduce, but were lacking the experience to understand how to do things right or well".