4.0 out of 5 stars An hands-on approach
Although I was curious about this book, I had mixed expectations. I have no background in web development (beyond playing a little with Catalyst and Drupal) so getting my toes wet with popular web-related technologies can't hurt. At the same time, I must confess I had serious doubts when I read the title out loud: "PHP", "MySQL", "JavaScript", "CSS". Learning four...
Published 22 months ago by cram

3.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced for the content
I like the structure of the book - it's great for a beginner as it's very basic (not very thorough, though).

BUT I would recommend that you get another book alongside because when you come across a problem (and there were a few for me!) this book does not offer solutions, it just assumes that the exercises worked for your computer.

I've overcome all...
Published 12 months ago by L. Wolfe

4.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction, 30 Nov 2013
This review is from: Learning PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, and CSS: A Step-by-Step Guide to Creating Dynamic Websites (Paperback)
This gave me a good start learning php. Good examples of code which are explained line by line. Not used the javascript bit yet...

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book for those with some coding experience, 15 Oct 2013
I have been programming in C/Matlab and a little html for several years, but had no previous experience with dynamic web page programming, nor database queries with MySQL. This book gives excellent and clear instructions on how to set up a database server, and then gives step-by-step instructions (with concrete examples throughout) of how to set up dynamic webpages, and use them to query a MySQL database. The CSS section is mainly about styling your webpages, from setting up background colours to developing full style classes that can bring great uniformity to a whole website spanning multiple pages. I read this book from cover to cover and enjoyed every bit of it, and I learnt a huge amount too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Improve your knowledge., 24 Sep 2013
this book helped me to developing my project on dynamic website.I will recommend this book to anyone who is ready to learn important stuff in dynamic websites.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great beginners guide to web 2.0 development, 31 Aug 2013
I bought this simply to provide an overview of the technology required for a web development project I'm engaged in, but it's so comprehensive that although I haven't really done any serious programming for over 20 years, it's given me the confidence to start my own project and I'm now using it as a reference guide. There are obviously some important elements missing for it to be a complete guide to everything you need to know, but it goes much further than I expected it to.

The quality and clarity of the writing is also excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful and comprehensive overview of the main components of web 2.0, 14 Aug 2013
Having not really done much programming since uni almost 3 decades ago, I needed something that would enable me to understand the scope of a new web development project In which I'm involved. In this respect the book went far beyond my expectations and I found myself rediscovering how absorbing a process it is to create working software.
I particularly like the way the book is laid out, intrducing the necessary building blocks and then combining them in increasingly complex examples, most of which, I had no problem following.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Introduction, 27 July 2013
This book is ideal for those looking to get a basic introduction to PHP, MySQL, CSS and JavaScript. If your like me and just wanted to understand the techniques and syntax behind these languages, then definitely this is the right book for you. However, like so many other reviews will tell you, if your looking to become skilled at one technique in particular I would say buy a book dedicated solely to that topic...this book will not make you a master at any on the the languages that it covers (it only brushes the surface of them).

The only obvious flaw I can find in the text is the order in which it covers topics. I think HTML and CSS should come first in your web development, then move to client-side scripting languages (such as JavaScript) then move on to server side-scripting languages (such as PHP) and database management systems and their languages (such as MySQL). For some reason the book strays from this normal process and covers topics in the order that they are in the title (PHP, MySQL, JavaScript & CSS), which is not really the smartest way to go about this stuff. This shouldn't really put you off the book if your interested, just a puzzling approach.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful Book, 25 May 2013
Mr. S. Unwin (London UK) - See all my reviews
I know some HTML - enough to build a small static website. I wanted to be able to do more but where should I start CSS? PHP? JAVA SCRIPT? This book covers all of these and binds them together in a clear and useful way.

4.0 out of 5 stars great book, 30 April 2013
One of the best books,covers a lot of topics for the size.Good coverage to each technology .Allows user to invest further in depth research for each topic if they wish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 13 Feb 2013
All you need to know in order to enter the world of web site building. Javascript , php, mysql, css, all in one comprehensive book. For me is a point of reference.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book for starting PHP and MySQL, 7 Feb 2013
This book covers all the basics from installation through to database access and is an excellent starter book. CSS and Javascript are too large a subject to cover in this book in detail but it gives a good introduction.