A compelling read from beginning to end which is why I got through it in 2 days. Excellent insights into the nature of good leadership to generate the right climate for strategic speed
Published 19 months ago by j w cox

2.0 out of 5 stars Gems if you dig for them...
Published 22 months ago by renaissance geek

2.0 out of 5 stars Gems if you dig for them..., 8 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Connected Company (Hardcover)
I'll start out by saying I'm not a natural business book reader; I come from a science background and while I have an interest in business I can't say that I've read in strategy books in the past. While I found a number of interesting ideas scattered through the book I found the overall presentation somewhat nebulous, unconvincing and ultimately unsatisfying. The basic theme of 18th century top down management processes just won't cut it in the fast paced 21st century is vitally important; though arguably painfully obvious. The trouble is you don't really need a whole book to tell you this; what you do need a book to tell you is how to put this into practice. What you get a couple of slim chapters at the end of the book with some vague pointers on how to build a more connected and responsive company and a vast quantity of anecdotes and comments from various business luminaries. And the jargon, oh my lord the jargon!

Realistically the book could have been half the size and lost no content and a slightly more formal approach with something akin to case studies rather than an anecdotal approach would have been enormously useful. There are some gems buried in the book and there are certainly many companies out there that would benefit enormously from taking these ideas on board but tidying up the wooly writing, tightening the architecture and losing the ersatz sketch diagrams would make it a much more satisfying read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Leadership Book Club, 16 Jun 2013
Very interesting read, with clear & thoughtful development from section to section, chapter by chapter. I found the last half of the book quite repetitive with examples and companies from earlier, although this allowed revision and "joining the dots".

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of valuable insights on the people side of good leadership and how this above all impacts strategic speed, 13 Jan 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Spot on, 14 Nov 2012
Philip Clark (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Connected Company (Hardcover)
This books nails a central issue for management. We all know we need to change but how do we actually do it?
I became a little frustrated at how long it took to get to the point, ie. the structures and strategies for implementing change. But it gets to those eventually. I'm now actually going to do something different after reading a business book. Result.

The Connected Company
The Connected Company by Thomas Vander Wal (Hardcover - 21 Sep 2012)
15.99