5.0 out of 5 stars 'MySQL magic' even for the database novice., 11 Sep 2012
A. B. Smith "Toxic Traveller" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
I have been using MySQL databases for a long time but the level of effort I'd previously put into the design and performance was low compared to the effort put into the applications using them. My initial concern with this book was it may have been too technical for me to make practical use of.

While some parts do require a number of visits before they 'sink in' and make sense, I have to say this book is ideal for sorting both the silly 'start up' database designer problems as well as being a potentially good reference for the more established database user. I say 'potentially' as I'm not an 'established database designer' so can only assume the books usefulness for such a person.

I have not completed the entire book, after all I see it as reference work, but what I have read has changed my view that making even the most basic database more efficient doesn't necessarily require massive effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelled Book very useful, 9 Dec 2012
This review is from: High Performance MySQL: Optimization, Backups, and Replication (Paperback)
Have been using mysql for a while, needed to brush up my skills and purchased this book. Enjoyed reading it, made some book marks and have been dipping into and out of the book.

Already been able to make some measured inprovements to systems we are running.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 3 Oct 2012
A. Barlow (UK) - See all my reviews
This book covers most aspects I was looking for. It's well written and well printed! I couldn't recommend it enough!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 20 Jun 2012
I really like this book. It's written in a pleasant but informative style and the authors are real experts.
Good Stuff !

High Performance MySQL: Optimization, Backups, and Replication
High Performance MySQL: Optimization, Backups, and Replication by Vadim Tkachenko (Paperback - 2 April 2012)
35.50