4.0 out of 5 stars We need this
This is a great book, and a lot of it is what the industry needs to really break out of the constraints of the old Waterfall type processes.

One word of warning: you might not want to buy this for the Kindle. The book has quite a few diagrams, designs and photos, which aren't really readable on a small e-ink screen.
Published 13 months ago by B. Hayes

3.0 out of 5 stars A view of Lean UX, not a final definition.
I work in UX and have done for over 15 years. This book attempt to summarise what is meant by 'Lean UX' and how it can be done. It manages to offer a view but is too sketch and patchy to be a definitive guide.

Published 13 months ago by S. Dean

3.0 out of 5 stars A view of Lean UX, not a final definition., 1 July 2013
S. Dean "Stew Dean" (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience (Hardcover)

In a nut shell it was a rebranding of the practices I had taken part in for many years, but with a few new additions to bring the ideas up to date and inline with ideas like Agile and Lean Start Up. In a nut shell the book does not invent but rediscovers ideas. For example the close working of teams has been around since I've been working, with War Rooms bringing together developers, stakeholders and designers into a seamless team. The idea of hypothesis then test is also something that has been around in areas of product design and design in general for a long time. Ideas like using style guides that everyone can access have also been in place for the time I've been working, often evolving from brand guidelines. I was lucky enough to work with Disney in my early career and was always amazed at the style guides they had for their films.

Where the book is weakest is when it tries to tie too much into lean Start up. There are many things about lean start up that are developer orientated, much like Agile. One area it is weak is in the creation of concepts prior to focusing upon actual interfaces - that is testing out the whole idea of something and getting that right before delving into detail. Lean Start Up and Agile use an evolutionary model to improve the product, but the final destination of the product is dependent on the starting point - and that is where the book is weak. It labels the starting point as 'assumptions' and places research squarely after something has been built. Research during the project is fine but it does not indicate how projects start. The wrong starting point can mean that the evolutionary path never finds a good ultimate ending point, for more on this see the concept of fitness landscapes, it's possible for any project to get stuck on a low mountain if it starts on the wrong point on the landscape.

It does remain a good summation of many ideas that UX people have been using for a long time and whilst it does over state some ideas and is unclear about others it is still a book worth reading, if only to allow a continued conversation about how UX works in different environments. Ultimately there are too many no so good ideas (like Proto Personas) amongst the good ideas for me to see this as being the ultimate book on how to keep user experience light, quick and effective.

4.0 out of 5 stars We need this, 19 Jun 2013
B. Hayes - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Readable store of tactics for pivoting towards lean UX, 17 April 2013
Matthew Ovington (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
Very readable book that sets out the three principles for Lean UX - design thinking, Agile development methodologies and the Lean Startup approach extolled by Eric Ries - and develops from these various tactics to help UX teams embedded in large organisations become part of the lean and Agile solution, rather than sidelined onlookers. It doesn't trivialise the transition either with glib solutions - though personally I feel the most difficult people to convince to switch to Lean UX will be the UX team themselves so I think I'll have to buy 10 more copies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 3 April 2013
This book ruined my Easter weekend as I couldn't put it down!!! It's a great follow-on from the first book in the series and goes into detail of some aspects introduced in the Lean Startup. It's the kind of book you will read once but then keep referring back to as you start to apply the principles.

I highly recommend this book and no you can't borrow my copy :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best UX book I've read in a year!, 22 Mar 2013
I am positively excited about the UX practice's redesign that I hope it'll help catalyse. Read this book, get empowered, and go designing good stuff, COLLABORATIVELY!

5.0 out of 5 stars Actionable overview, 6 July 2014
a really well thought out and validated book, with actionable ideas for any tech workplace. As a Business Analyst, I need a core understanding in UX though not my primary function, and this book has been a valuable resource.

Recommend!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book on the Lean UX principles that are proving so popular., 2 Jun 2014
As somebody who has always inherently hated bulky reports and the lack of communication between departments I sometimes encounter Lean UX has been a breath of fresh air.

Even though I don't agree with all of the principles, there is some real gold in here and I will definitely be applying what I have read in this book moving forward.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is how projects should be done, 27 May 2014
This book is great, it is clear, concise, and makes sense. The thing I can compare it to is a hackathon - you get things done. If things don't work, you change it, no fuss. You are free to experiment, no potential to "fail". You end up with high moral, lots of fun, and a product that works and is what the user needs. This book is a breath of fresh air.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick guide to LeanUX, 31 Dec 2013
I'm a UX professional and have recently been trying to learn about how to use lean processes.

This book is a really good guide to lean UX, introducing it and giving practical tips. The book is also full of real world case studies, which really helped me to understand the advantages of lean.

The book benefits from being only about 120 pages, as it's a quick read I found it easy to become really engaged in the content

4.0 out of 5 stars My learn Lean-swizz army knife, 26 Dec 2013
Not only good theory, but also real world examples how the author puts theory into practice.

Buzzwords are all fine, we've all heard about the awesome LEAN-model (and maybe claim to use some of it?). This book was my first serious attempt to understand how Lean and UX would fit together. I got the picture and more important - guides how to start implementing it where I work!

I'll keep this book and return to it when I have my own experiences of working truly by the LEAN-process, reading selected parts. This is one of my most highlighted books in my ePub reader :)

Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience by Jeff Gothelf (Hardcover - 11 Mar 2013)
13.26