4.0 out of 5 stars Good book for beginners
Published on 25 Jan 2012 by Mr. Steven Webb

3.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to Spring, but faulty code examples
Published on 1 Sep 2011 by Enrico Savazzi

3.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to Spring, but faulty code examples, 1 Sep 2011
Enrico Savazzi "ESav1953" (Kyoto) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just Spring (Paperback)
This is a lightweight introduction to Spring that gets down to business already at the beginning and allows a reader to quickly understand the basics of Spring, what it is used for, and what it can do. Other, more complete books on Spring, force a reader to go through several introductory chapters before allowing him/her to do anything even remotely useful with the Spring framework.
Having said this, my review would be more enthusiastic if, halfway through the book, I had not already found at least seven errors/omissions in the source code examples. Some had obvious solutions, while others forced me, as a Spring absolute beginner, to Google for answers to why the code was not compiling. The errors range from typos to the use of syntax no longer supported in current Spring versions (e.g., the use of singleton="true" and singleton="false" in Spring XML configuration, which is no longer accepted and must instead be written as scope="singleton" or scope="prototype", respectively). These errors should have been caught before publication, and would have been caught if the source code had been made available as downloadable book materials (at present, the directory of downloadable materials for this book at O'Reilly is empty).

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book for beginners, 25 Jan 2012
This review is from: Just Spring (Paperback)
I've been programming client side programming for years but recently thought I should train myself up on some backend java. I bought this book so I could understand the basics of Spring. I think overall it is a good book, short and to the point however I think an extra section needs adding to it. I think it needs an overview section about Spring, why would you use it and where it fits in the enterprise architectures.

I think the author assumes that whoever is reading this book already has a background in enterprise. As this book is an introduction I'm not sure this assumption is correct so a little more background info would be very useful.

Overall though I liked the way the book was structured; it was to the point and the examples where well thought out. If only more book were kept as brief as this.

Update: I thought I would add an update about this book now that I have learn't more about Spring as I've used it in anger since my initial review comments.

I still consider this to be required reading by anyone who wishes to gain the basics concepts of Dependancy Injection (DI) and Spring. I have read it twice now and I think it gives a very good explanation of the concepts and how to get up to speed with the fundamentals of Spring.

In future I think the book needs to consider the use of Annotations for wiring and not just XML. In recent times Spring has added support for JSR330 which is the guideline for supporting DI using Annotations and I think in future an understanding of this will be essential for any Spring developer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just... Nothing?, 21 Jun 2013
This review is from: Just Spring (Paperback)
This book is so slim, it contains nothing that you cannot read at http://www.springsource.org/get-started for free and faster. I feel mislead by O'Reilly.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little brief maybe, 1 May 2013
This review is from: Just Spring (Kindle Edition)
Not bad, but I got this as a stand in for the famous Manning book on Spring, to go on my Kindle. As such, it does its job, but I keep the Manning book available.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very lightweight, 1 May 2013
Ian Rogers (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just Spring (Paperback)
The subtitle of this book is "A Lightweight Introduction to the Spring Framework" but they missed the "very, very" before "lightweight".

Maybe the book is just dated (being published in 2011) but the autowire section for example doesn't mention any of the annotation styles (i.e. @Autowired) and how to configure them.

Maybe a revised edition would be worth buying, but after reading the 2011 edition you still won't be able to understand modern Java code.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple book, 10 Oct 2011
This review is from: Just Spring (Paperback)
There were a few books written in the past on Spring but you tend to get lost once you flip through a few pages. Authors were guilty of distracting the reader with numerable jargon's and complicated design principles which puts me off. This book is refreshingly simple and easy to digest and your brain won't produce lot of heat after reading the book. The examples are very simple and it would encourage any java early bird to get started on spring. I like the way DI pattern was explained in layman terms. I don't think you could explain Spring in a more simplistic way. Also this book is helpful to managers who are new to Spring and help them understand the benefits of adopting spring. The author has done a remarkable job.

4.0 out of 5 stars Arguably the fastest way for beginners to Get Started with a Spring project, 4 Oct 2011
N. Singh (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just Spring (Paperback)
I picked this book as Mr Konda is a good friend of mine and I ought to read his first book. I was surprised that I could finish the book within 60 minutes of my daily commute on the train. It was maybe because of the precise and concise approach adopted by him in the book or maybe because I have been working with Spring for few years now so there is nothing new for me.

However, I could clearly see the benefits of this book for the beginners. This book helps to learn the core Spring concepts and imparts the direct knowledge of the two important topics, which most of the developers in the industry would find themselves working with - Databases and Messaging. The book explains the core topics with trivial but nicely thought out examples but I would have loved if Madhu didn't move away from Trade example in the initial chapters to Movie example for the last chapter. There are a few typos in the code but you would be easily able to recognize them and correct yourselves.

So, who should be picking up this book?

a. This book is a boon for developers who have been working with Java for some time and now they need to OR have been asked to work on the Spring project. There are lots of things even seasoned java developers can do wrong if they are put on to a Spring project straight away.

b. Development Leads or Managers, who have an ongoing Spring based project and they got new developers / trainees with no Spring experience. They can handout this book to newcomers to bring quick understanding of the framework and gain some productivity in just a couple of days.

I must say that the book is not a Spring reference and surely not intended for seasoned Spring developers but arguably the best starting point for the beginners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 2 Oct 2011
This review is from: Just Spring (Paperback)
I must say Madhusudhan Konda has done a brilliant job with Just Spring. The explanation of basic concepts is very good and the code examples are easy to understand and to the point. In fact being `to the point' is the highlight of this book - it doesn't beat around the bush and gets down to business right from the first page.

The book contains five chapters - first three are devoted to spring basics and the last two are devoted to two special aspects of spring- JMS and Database support.

This book is ideally suited for those who want to get a quick introduction to spring framework and want to start using it in their projects right away. It's quite an easy and interesting read and can be finished in one sitting. Although it's relatively thin compared to other books on the subject, it doesn't compromise on any of the basic stuff and gets you started with the framework very quickly. It's not like those books where you have to go through a couple of chapters before getting into the `real' stuff. I'm very much impressed by the no nonsense style of the book. I would definitely recommend giving this book a go if you want to learn about spring framework.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quickest read to get you on feet using Spring, 27 Sep 2011
This review is from: Just Spring (Paperback)
One should no more have "inertia" as an excuse to pass-up on Spring technologies. In just 62 pages, the most useful parts of Spring is covered in sufficient details to get one using Spring with JMS and databases - the most commonly used parts of java development for the enterprise applications. There is introduction to core dependency injection concepts and its implementation with Spring to get you in the groove. Then very gradually, concepts of life cycle and container is introduced and embedded in the mind of the reader. By the time one reaches the last two chapters on JMS and database usage, reader will become a natural with the concepts and everyday use usage of this technology. About the only thing I miss is another (very short chapter, in the spirit of this book) to succinctly gather the best-practices/Do's/Don'ts with Spring.

Highly recommend, esp for those developers who have always wanted to delve into Spring but were put-off by physically large amounts material to read before getting going. Also note some of the other points mentioned by reviewers above.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book for Spring developers, 21 Sep 2011
This review is from: Just Spring (Paperback)
I am impressed by Madhusudhan's writing style, examples and explanations. He has explained concepts v.clearly and in a conversational manner which, makes the book interesting to read. Having read couple of books before, this is the best so far. A first class piece of work covering the fundamentals of Spring. Definitely a must buy book for anyone wanting to learn Spring in a v.short span of time for project needs.

Just Spring
Just Spring by Madhusudhan Konda (Paperback - 28 Feb 2013)
15.50