4.0 out of 5 stars Good reminder for occasional Perl user
Published on 27 Jan 2003 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars No more useful than a reference card - but priced as a book
Published on 3 Mar 2012 by njdj

4.0 out of 5 stars Good reminder for occasional Perl user, 27 Jan 2003
Like a lot of developers, I don't use Perl every day as my main development tool. Instead I use Perl occasionally to update configuration files, mass source code changes, development utilities etc. As a result I find myself forgetting the syntax, semantics, packages that I need to write effective (though perhaps not wonderful) Perl scripts to get the job done. I bought this book on a whim and have found it very useful to remind me about Perl when I need to use it - often in a rush. The O'Reilly "Programming Perl" was excellent to start with but too hard to use as a concise reference.
However the price tag / content for this book is too high in my opinion. Around the five pounds mark would be more reasonable hence four stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars good pocket reference, 10 Dec 2013
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The O'Reilly books reference books are always a good comprehensive set of notes and the Perl book is no exception. Once you have an understanding of Perl the book will start to make a bit of sense. It is by no means a teaching aid, but it can provide you with a place to find the essential commands and switches in one place. It is a bit like a glorified 'man command' page, but with some examples.

I found this useful when I was getting to grips with Perl. I don't use the language so much now, but I still keep this book to hand as I can never remember the main command structure switches when I need them.

2.0 out of 5 stars No more useful than a reference card - but priced as a book, 3 Mar 2012
This review is from: Perl Pocket Reference (Paperback)
This book is grossly overpriced for what it is. The level of information is comparable to the reference card that came with a Perl book I bought years ago. It has more words, but the words are not more useful. For example, under "Smartmatching", there is a paragraph that is word-for-word identical with the online (perldoc) documentation, then a table which is less useful than the table in the online documentation, and finally a little "info" icon that refers you to the online documentation.

It's difficult to imagine a class of users who will find this book useful. If you have been using Perl for 10+ years and want to become aware of recently-introduced features (like smartmatching), the book's lists might be helpful. For anyone else, the book is really too superficial to be useful. Being a book, it's not as quick or convenient to consult as a reference card, but it doesn't have enough additional information to be worth the trouble of looking things up in it. For anything more than checking the existence or spelling of a keyword (elif? elsif? elseif?) you're going to have to look at a more detailed description anyway, so why waste time on this booklet?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Reference Book, 13 Feb 2012
Richard (Baden-Wurttemburg) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Perl Pocket Reference (Paperback)
I brought this book hope to have a great reference book and guess what it is as expected. I could put it down. I definitely recommend this to any developer who needs to learn Perl in two weeks or less.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and portable, 15 Nov 2006
R. Bland (Dunblane, Perthshire) - See all my reviews
I keep a copy of this in my briefcase, so I'm never stuck when I can't remember the name of a function, or the order of its arguments. It isn't a replacement for the full Camel book, though. This book will only jog your memory: it won't teach you concepts.

Perl Pocket Reference
Perl Pocket Reference by Johan Vromans (Paperback - 2 Aug 2011)
6.25