5.0 out of 5 stars Typical O'Reilly book. Does its job well.
I have used this to get going with PERL. I have done some scripting so I think that helps getting you started but I think anyone should be able to start using PERL with this book.

Not gone all the way through yet but the stuff I have done was very good.
Published on 24 Feb 2012 by Furiouswombat

3.0 out of 5 stars Write only code!
Not a bad book, though it can be a little hard to find what you want once you get beyond the initial learning stages and actually want to write code. What I don't understand is why anyone would want to! A dreadful language. It used to said that it is easy to write "write only" code in C, but perl is 10 times worse!
Published 15 months ago by Mr. P. Shipman

5.0 out of 5 stars Typical O'Reilly book. Does its job well., 24 Feb 2012
This review is from: Learning Perl (Paperback)

Not gone all the way through yet but the stuff I have done was very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fnatastic buy. Excellent read ... and not just for learning,, 23 May 2014
A. Ross (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Learning Perl (Kindle Edition)
Not only an excellent introduction to learning Perl, but an fantastically written book, enjoyed it from cover to cover, and footnote to appendices. My only slight criticism is that some more advanced concepts (references for example) are not covered in great detail, but that is where Intermediate Perl or Programming Perl book comes in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impress everyone with regular expressions, 18 July 2013
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Learning Perl (Paperback)
I have to admit that before using this book I used "Learning Perl." However, everything that I learned in the first book was in the first chapter of this book. I am very impressed with the layout of this book. Every time I turned a new page I found something else, I had to try. One paragraph in chapter six prime outlines the whole reason for really wanting to use pearl.

"Perl doesn't just glue together other computer languages. It also glues together command line interpreters, operating systems, processes, machines, devices, networks, databases, institutions, cultures, web pages, GUIs, peers, servers, and clients, not to mention people like system administrators, users, and of course, hackers, both not be in nice. In fact pearl is rather competitive about cooperative."
This book is well designed to get you off the Ground and hit the deck running. You will not be left standing there like a sitting duck. I doubt that I can give it enough stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is helpful., 19 Sep 2012
This review is from: Learning Perl (Paperback)
If you just get started with perl, this is really a good book for you. I love it very very much.

3.0 out of 5 stars Write only code!, 26 April 2013

Learning Perl
Learning Perl by Tom Phoenix (Paperback - 4 July 2011)
21.07