Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Listen with Prime Shop Kindle Oasis Learn more Shop now

on 8 September 2011
I have mixed feelings when it comes to this book. At some point it is entertaining and can teach you the basics of HTML very well, however, it is too basic for a professionals or semiprofessionals. Topics covered within the book are well explained, it covers basics of the HTML 5. You will find here information regarding new tags, new ways of input validation, progress bars, sliders, video embedding, audio embedding, managing the canvas, working in offline environment, etc. If you are not sure whether this book is for, ask yourself question, where you put yourself. Do you start your adventure with HTML? Or maybe you are HTML veteran? If you are about to begin your experience with HTML 5, this book sounds like a good read. At the very beginning, Matthew lays down the basics of the HTML 5. You literally build a simple HTML page by extending it step by step. Second chapter gives you the overview of how to create a structure of the page, how to use new tags and what to avoid (especially the old markups). I really enjoyed part four, where details related to forms are laid down - how to create them, how to validate values, how to provide users with input suggestions - entirely at the browser's side. Video and audio related section will shade some light in terms of the variety of video/audio codecs - there are few of them, and they can make you confused, believe me. Another great benefit is that you get CSS explained by examples rather than by definition. However, you may fell slightly disappointed if you are looking for a CSS reference.

I like the style of the book. It is really simple written, at least that's what I think. You shouldn't have any issues with following what Matt tries to explain. Keep in mind, however, that this book is rather brief overview of HTML 5 rather than comprehensive HTML 5 reference. Great plus for Matt for putting lots of references to external resources and for really impressive examples. You will be guided how to find them at the very begging of the book.
I bought this book because I saw that five on the cover and said to myself I been gone that long?

I've always appreciated "the missing manual" series. And for decades O'Reilly has been my choice of publisher. So it was a no-brainer purchasing this book written by Matthew MacDonald.

Why was I surprised to find out that HTML5 is not real! Okay it's real but it's real like English. There are two camps when speaking English; one wants you to use old timey latten construction; the other camp says anything goes as long as it's understandable. That is the thrust of the purpose of this book to let you know that HTML is back but anything goes as long as it is understandable.

I've learned a lot from this book and it is saved my bacon several times. However if you're new to HTML you might want to read one of the old timey classics before tackling the new freedom of HTML 5.

I do not dog year or underlying books; however I have sure worn this one out and still have not finished with it by a long shot. If you do not have a copy of this book what have you been doing?

The CD is not missing from this manual as the information and examples from the chapters can be accessed online.
on 17 August 2012
Much of the book is well explained but there are parts which are not covered well at all such as Communcating with the web server, Storage and Offline applications, which are all very useful. He goes from simple coding in the first few chapters and about half way threw dives right in to mind boggling territory expecting you to understand. You do have to have an intermediate knowledge of asp.net, php, HTML and javascript, as he does not explain how to implement codes and scripts, luckily I know javascript so that was easier but I do not know php so I was completely confused in some of the chapters, like am I supposed to download a server? buy a domain with php just to do this? can the php script be used externally? does the php go with the HTML? I have honestly no idea, and it really lets this book down and made me feel disappointed.
on 24 August 2013
Excellent book and full of useful information for an amateur returning to site building. I bought the ebook, which is fine, but I'd still prefer the print version. It's put together in such a way that I can relearn and build sites from the first few chapters, and keep the stuff on audio, video and the canvas until later.
on 25 April 2014
In the process of using online tutorials from the likes of Treehouse and Lynda.com I bought this book to ensure I had all the latest content in one place. If you've never touched HTML then this may be a bit of a deep dive to jump right into, but if you a learn a little beforehand then this will help gather together all that you've learnt and probably fill in a few gaps too.

Don't hesitate, buy it! Their CSS & Javascript books are equally as good too, and I didn't even have any JavaScript knowledge beforehand, so again they are a must if you want to develop further.
on 23 October 2013
I've not really read it a lot, but it seems to be more of a reference book more than a 'how to...' book. It could be that I've not read enough of it yet, having said that the information is top quality and I will look at more of the 'Lost Manual' series from now on, because it's not padded out with all sorts of rubbish that can irritate you with these great big tomes on the subject.