5.0 out of 5 stars Gentle coaching
Published on 20 Jan. 2013 by janetmck

3.0 out of 5 stars okay, not great
Published 9 months ago by tallmanbaby

5.0 out of 5 stars Gentle coaching, 20 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Rules of Life: A Personal Code for Living a Better, Happier, More Successful Kind of Life (Paperback)
I've just picked up this book fron the local library and I have just placed a couple of orders from Amazon, one for myself and one for a friend as it's one I want to keep. It's the best "self help" books i've come across if thats how you can describe it, it's just like gentle coaching and not drastic changes or unobtainable goals and certainly not boring longwinded chapters. Some of the information offered I already try to do and some I will certainly have a go at (rule 16 Spike Milligan lines),some I may even pass on. but it's definitely worth dipping in to every now and then. I would certaintly recommend this great little book!
P.S. This is the first review i've ever done, thats how good I think it is!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read, 9 April 2013
Can read in short chunks, helps to think in a different light and let go of stuff you don't need to stress over

4.0 out of 5 stars `Do as you would be done by'., 17 Nov. 2011
Katharine Kirby "Kate" (HELSTON, Cornwall United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Richard Templar is a jolly good sort. In fact if we all followed his Rules of Life, the world would surely be a better place.

100 'rules' - 'commandments' being too strong a word for Richard Templar, who is so self effacing and pleasant he would never command, only suggest; are each followed by short essays explaining their worth. I liked the fact that this 'self help' genre book for once, is not American. It comes across as friendly, realistic, well thought out advice.

As you read the rules, you realise that this is what we all know, deep down, but may have lost sight of, and would be the better for remembering. My personal favourites were "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all'" (but this one could rather de rail my hobby of reviewing), "Dress like today is important", always a good idea as you don't usually have time to go back to the wardrobe later, "Your children need to fall out with you to leave home" which made me laugh, and "Never lend money unless you are prepared to write it off" which he expands to "unless you are prepared to write off either the money or the relationship". Always the case I fear.

A gentle, sometimes amusing and clearly helpful book, which was preceded by the bestselling The Rules of Work: A Definitive Code for Personal Success; this will make you think, and then, hopefully, resolve to try that bit harder at the game of life.

4.0 out of 5 stars 21st Pressie Book, 7 May 2013
I bought this book for my niece as part of her 21st birthday present after reading through my boyfriends copy. A great book that isn't too heavy to read as the format is broken into chapters so it is ideal for dipping into.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eminently sensible, and more, 9 Mar. 2013
This is, well, eminently sensible, and I found myself agreeing with what was being said on every page. I do, however, know people who wouldn't do so and wouldn't agree with my- or his - view of life, the universe and everything, and it is for those that I would recommend this as a thoroughly thought-provoking, conflict-avoiding, peace-making, potentially life-changing good read. Hats off to Richard Templar, more power to his elbow, etc., etc.

3.0 out of 5 stars okay, not great, 16 Aug. 2014
tallmanbaby (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is the sort of book that sells by the shed load, you can pick it up at airports and the like. It is perfectly readable and dipping into it can be rewarding. Having said that, there is little here that you have probably not figured out for yourself or read elsewhere. I daresay you would not come to much harm following the little rules for life enclosed herein, but similarly I doubt it would utterly change your life either.

Personally for this sort of thing, I prefer Benjamin Franklin or Marcus Aurelius, or even Charles Handy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet life, 4 April 2014
When I purchased this book I was rather disappointed with size of the print so I gave it to my sister and then I had the Kindle version downloaded , it is a dip in style of book not novel type and it as been a revelation to all of us

5.0 out of 5 stars Rules of Life, 23 Jun. 2013
Nice easy reading - something for those times when you want to reconnect with the world. When the whys and the what's need some xplanation. A thoroughly good read - love it, recommend it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Improve your sense of 'self', 30 July 2014
Having read his 'Rules of Work' years ago this seemed the logical next step when I needed to refocus my personal life. An easy to read format, that I am making my way through & am finding it useful.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great pick up and read book for Life, 1 Nov. 2014
One of those books that reminds you of things you have forgotten, plus makes you learn new points of life. An easy pick and read book. Small things can make a big difference