5.0 out of 5 stars I have energy and no headaches now
Published 11 months ago by P. Faletas

1.0 out of 5 stars Beyond misleading....
Published 9 months ago by Miss Jelly

5.0 out of 5 stars I have energy and no headaches now, 19 Jun. 2014
P. Faletas - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Quit Sugar for Life: Your fad-free wholefood wellness code and cookbook (Paperback)
Brilliant book. Very easy to read and follow. This isn't a diet book, it's just a sensible way of eating and it really makes sense. Sugar was making me feel ill and I hadn't realised. I have so much more energy now and I have lost weight although this wasn't an issue for me as I was already a normal, healthy weight. My headaches have practically disappeared too. I haven't used any of the sweet recipes though as I'd rather just not eat sweet things anymore. Savoury and full fat are enough and I feel full after every meal so do even think about snacking.
Brilliant.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beyond misleading...., 26 Aug. 2014
This book title is incredibly misleading. Sarah Wilson hasn't given up sugar at all - she just swapped what type of sugar she eats. I brought this book expecting lots of cool sugar-free recipes and instead had to send it back as none of the recipes were sugar free - the white stuff has just been swapped for brown rice syrup, maple syrup and/or stevia. She also uses lots of dried fruit which is also high in sugar.

This book pushes that myth that one type of sugar is better than another, which is rubbish - sugar molecules whatever the source behave the same biologically once consumed and these recipes contained a lot of sugar/fructose. Very disappointed.

If you want a good book about giving up sugar, I would recommend 'Sweet Nothing' by Nicole Mowbray which is cheaper, much more informative (with real science rather than pseudo-science explanations) and she REALLY cut out the sugar. She also provides you with the science behind why fructose, despite it's lower GI is still not good for you. It doesn't have many recipes in (but it does have some), but gives sound advice on what you can and should eat so you can sort yourself out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Sarah Wilson, 22 Aug. 2014
Great to have a follow up from the I Quit Sugar book. Some great recipes and ideas for preparing and transporting food on the go, plus how to stock your freezer to help you prepare quick healthy sugar free options and lots more. I like the layout and visual presentation, it's easy to follow, interesting and it feels very personal. I find the recipes a good starting point and they are easy to adapt to your own preferences. I really like Sarah and her realistic, laid back approach. To me this is not just another cook book, it's a guide, a helping hand, the support you need when setting out on a new way of eating and living. A definite must buy if you want to keep motivated and away from sugar forever.

2.0 out of 5 stars While being impressed by the wealth of knowledge n this ..., 14 Oct. 2014
While being impressed by the wealth of knowledge n this book, I am still unclear about what I can and should not eat, for one example potatoes. I think the book is impressively glossy but very badly laid out and I find the different colour inks difficult to read. Also I have only had the book for a week and the pages are falling out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much recommended, 10 Dec. 2014
I own this book since a while and I can say it improved my life a lot. Before, I was eating a lot of sugar. I had to eat sweets every day! Then I went to 'healthy' sugars and actually bought this book together with a large box of dates (don't do that!) The first few weeks of quitting were not easy, but it helps to eat fat and proteins. After a while without sugar I got less hungry between meals and adopted the three-meals-a-day habit. I feel so much better and lost weight, especially around my tummy, although I just wanted to get my blood tests right.

The recipes are delicious and I have probably cooked and tried half the recipes in this book, most often the coco-nutty granola. The cakes treats actually made me buy this book, but I ended up hardly making any of those, partly because they seem too complicated with all the rice malt syrup, super dark chocolate, lots of nuts, freezing, processing (in a kitchen machine), etc. and then you should only eat a small serving.

The book and the IQS website bring me through this Christmas time after having been at the brink of diabetes last year. I ordered another book of Sarah Wilson, and got one of her e-books.

5.0 out of 5 stars life changing, 26 May 2014
Austin (Stockport, England) - See all my reviews
I did the 8 week detox using Sarah's book and this is a great follow on. The detox helps you to drastically reduce your sugar consumption. In the detox you do quit sugar for a month but then you rebuild in 2 pieces of fruit and the odd treat so it's not completely sugar free but your aiming for about 10g or less a day
I feel so much better, I eat when I'm hungry now and feel in control of my eating rather than food controlling me. My head feels clearer too. I've lost some weight - gradually which is an added bonus. I didn't have sugar in tea and coffee but I did buy some ready meals and some processed foods - so I was probably consuming a lot more sugar than I realised. I've always struggled with my weight and have come to the conclusion that sugar in food could be a factor.
This book is good because there are some menu plans to give you some ideas for your weekly shop. All the receipes I've tried so far have been very tasty. I mostly cook from scratch now which takes more time but is definately more satisfying and I know what's going in my body too.
I love Sarah's philosophy about not wasting food - she sticks to some basic ingredients which means that once you've stocked up you can make a lot of the meals/ treats. Saves on storage and waste. She's also a big fan of using up what you have and a lot of her suggestions are how to use up bits and pieces. BRILL! I also love the fact that although she gives ways of making things like cream cheese she's not to precious about using bought products when you need to.
The only disadvantage I find is it's taking a while to wrap my head around the ideas - but I'm really excited to try. It's a very way of living to what I'm used to and life-style changes are always time consuming. The whole philosophy behind the book is living a healthier - but enjoyable- lifestyle and without making impossible changes and I'm a big fan.
I live in Britain (England) and so far sourcing the more unusual ingredients isn't impossible, I've found some in the supermarkets, amazon and healthfood shops. When I see a product I need now I tend to buy multiples and make a note of where I got it from. But as a lot of her receipes are based on good meats, veggies and berries a lot of stuff can be found in any grocery store.
Being Australian her ingredients are measured in cups but she gives grams in brackets.
Would recomend this book if you've done the sugar detox or you just want to try some of the receipes

1.0 out of 5 stars more about her choices generally than just sugar., 24 Dec. 2014
I wanted information about sugar, instead this book is filled with some limited information on sugar and a great deal more on the author's other food choices, some of which are not sufficiently backed up by science.

5.0 out of 5 stars A vibrant, well-researched, inspiring book!, 12 May 2014
Sarah Wilson strikes again with her inimitable good humour, intelligent discussion, and WONDERFUL recipes for a thoroughly enjoyable 'read 'n' rendezvous' with your kitchen, haha!

I am still sifting through the pages as this is a new addition to my cookbook catalogue, but I am already impressed with her extreme wealth of knowledge and the colourful and BEAUTIFULLY presented recipes that practically dance off the pages in their excited fervour. Even things I wouldn't have considered or could be arsed to try, I am now literally chomping at the bit to give a go and make a regular part of my holistic health routine; trust me, this is an invaluable resource for anyone suffering from autoimmune disease (especially thyroid issues, but autoimmune issues share many of the same problems such as chronic inflammation and low immune system function, skin issues, extreme hormonal ups and downs, toxicity, fatigue - you name it) and indeed anyone with a chronic sugar addiction (guilty, very guilty - like, emergency butter and icing sugar at midnight guilty and sneak eating to avoid embarrassment) will find her guidelines a godsend. Yes, it takes commitment, time, and organisation - but once you get a handle on your issues with sugar (be it psychological or physiological - usually both go hand in hand), the ride is a smoother sail towards greater health and wellness of body and mind. I have been following her for quite some time now, and have been implementing the recipes and guidelines from her first (also excellent) book "I Quit Sugar" which, if you aren't going to be lazy with, will set your journey off equally as well. I must admit though that this book takes it many steps further as Sarah builds upon her prior (and very sound) understanding of the complexities of nutritional healing and incorporates a multi-faceted approach to quitting sugar (or rather, excess fructose consumption - the one that has been proven to be significantly linked to diseases such as cancer for example) in this publication that is truly the "icing on the cake", ha! And you'll certainly be enjoying your less harmful "cream cheese frosting" with rice malt syrup vigour and enthusiasm, I assure you ;)

Buy this book. Live your life free of this insideous addiction. Reclaim your health, your happiness, your self-control, your freedom from being held back by anything weighing you down. No regrets :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but some of the ingredients are either difficult to ..., 21 Jan. 2015
Not bad but some of the ingredients are either difficult to find or very expensive - i.e. a small pot of coconut oil being nearly £6 which is out of consideration when you are on a fixed income.

3.0 out of 5 stars If you like to read from front to back before embarking on ..., 14 Aug. 2014
It isn't obvious what the rules are and which alternative sweeteners are ok.
If you like to read from front to back before embarking on a new way of eating then you will enjoy this book

I Quit Sugar for Life: Your fad-free wholefood wellness code and cookbook