I started reading the novels of Peter James last year and found that just by the down-to-earth well written stories with the confident understanding of characters, he has taken me at times to such a state of suspense that I just couldn't stop reading them, it is no wonder that he has become one of Britain's best-loved crime writers.

All his stories are located...
Published on 14 May 2012 by John Hugh Glen

3.0 out of 5 stars Great page turner, americanised style
This is the first time I've read Peter James and picked it up after hearing it reviewed positively on Simon Mayo's show. It really is a page turner! The chapters are very to fairly short which makes it a great book for people like me who have a 25 minute train commute - you can usually time the finishing of the chapters just right for your stop.
The book...
Published on 13 Mar 2006 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Great page turner, americanised style, 13 Mar 2006
This review is from: Dead Simple (Paperback)
The book involves a stag night prank of burying a mate in a coffin. If if this seems somewhat unlikely, James does get away with explaining the history that leads to this event, making it plausible enough to stick with it. When the perpetrators are killed in a van crash our man is trapped in the coffin with only one person in the world knowing where he is; and that person has most to gain by him staying lost (trust me I give nothing away, we're only up to page 40 or 50 here!). Therein hangs the first of many twists; there are several, yet somehow they are nearly all credible within the confines of this tale. And speaking of confines, some of the coffin scenes really are claustrophobic to read.
The slight downsides then. As has been referenced elsewhere the author I believe has been a scriptwriter in the States and at times there is an americanisation to the story that grates ever so slightly, including the use of american type terminology that wouldn't naturally be used here. Stylistically it has more of an american feel than say a traditional English crime fiction feel about it. I don't say that this is bad, by the way, but just be aware that PD James it ain't (and that may well be a good thing for some of you)! The ending is also a little rushed and slightly patly contrived, but by then you've rattled along with the book at such a pace that you forgive this minor(ish) transgression.
In conclusion then, a page turner it most certainly is. I knocked this off in two days because I couldn't put the blooming thing down. If like me you have a busy life from which you need to be occasionally transported, released into a private world of high drama that goes at a rattling good pace, has plenty of twists and genuine 'oh my god!' moments, then this is the book for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Dead Simple" is fast and thrilling a real rollercoaster of a book, 14 May 2012
This review is from: Dead Simple (Hardcover)

All his stories are located in Brighton, just an hour's train ride from London, and over the sequence of his novels, Peter James is establishing himself to be as skilful a story-weaver as G. K. Chesterton, Agatha Christie, and Elmore Leonard.

His central character is the resolute police officer Roy Grace who I find to be quite unorthodox and a very likeable character.

It took me just one day to read this book; I just could not put it down it was so gripping and the fact that the story is set in and around Brighton made it that little bit more special British if you like.

"Dead Simple" is fast and thrilling a real rollercoaster of a book full of twists and turns sometimes a bit mind-boggling but the story has hold of you right up to the end.

You can tell that Peter James has researched his subjects well and I got the feeling that he has spent some time with members of the Sussex police force it would be interesting to see if he has based the character of Roy Grace on a few of that police force?

If you haven't already discovered the thrill of reading the Roy Grace series, this is a list of the order:
Dead Simple (2005)
Looking Good Dead (2006)
Not Dead Enough (2007)
Dead Man's Footsteps (2008)
Dead Tomorrow (2009)
Dead Like You (2010).
While it's not essential to read them in sequence, it does mean you can follow the development of Grace's personal story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dead Simple, 18 Jan 2007
F. Clancy (Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Simple (Paperback)
I bought this book specifically for holiday and am glad i did - although it gripped me very early on and i read it in no time at all. I found the plot very good and didnt guess the "bad guy" at all which for me is quite unusual and very enjoyable. I would defintely recommend it and am now trying to decide which Peter James book to read next!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable, 24 Jan 2011
This review is from: Dead Simple (Paperback)
I came on the sixth and latest book in this series, by chance and was hooked. I decided to start at the begining and read all the other books in this series in order. I was not let down. This first book is every bit as fantastic. If you enjoy a first class, rapidly paced, well researched English police detective tale, with a bit of a contiuing back story on the main police characters, this one is for you. I'm determined to find some time to read the others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant !!!, 20 Mar 2006
S P BOYD (COVENTRY, WEST MIDLANDS United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Simple (Paperback)
I was amazed to read other negative comments about this book. I have never read a book by this writer before so I too took a chance on how well I might get into it or not.
To sum up the book reached halfway and I was convinced I knew the plot as well as the end ...WRONG !! .. in fact at the halfway point is the part where other books would have inevitably finished, this one however then takes a twist that I was not prepared for, and then it takes several more. Each time I have been amazed and pleasantly so that the book still had almost as much again to read.
I loved the charecters, Grace in particular, and while you learned about their private lives you did not become bored or bogged down or distracted by their own lives as you do in some books.
It was interesting to the point I didnt want to put it down, adictive in fact, and the fact that the chapters were not many pages long it meant I could read a quick chapter in between jobs, or a quick one before I fell asleep on a really tired night.
If this is the start of a new series by this man then I for one shall be avidly waiting for each one to come out. In the meantime I am off to the buying pages to get another of his books while I wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Superb!, 16 July 2007
Angel (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dead Simple (Paperback)
Excellent book - gripping from the first chapter - a definite must-read. I could not put the book down and after reading it in a day and a bit, I then went on to order and read the rest of the books he has written - all equally intriguing and gripping in their own way - Looking Good Dead is another superb book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Peter James 'Dead Simple', 26 Mar 2012
Thoroughly enjoyed this addictive compulsively enjoyable page turner.
Criticism's of James' style and language pale through a well written, well crafted and highly recommendable thriller.
Am now off to read more, the best reccomendation

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable!!!, 2 Jan 2008
G. Pidler "Gillian" (Devon Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Simple (Paperback)
I'd never read Peter James before, so when I found 'Not dead enough' in Tescos I thought I'd treat myself. Of course I got home and realised I'd picked up book 3 in a series so came here to find the first two.
I started 'Dead Silence' the day it came and I couldnt put it down. I was hooked from the first page right to the last, and Peter James has now shot to the top of my favourite crime/thriller author list.
I'm now over half way though 'Looking good dead' and again its just fantastic. My husband keeps laughing at me as I pick it up every chance I get. I've been and ordered 4 of Peter's stand alone novels this morning for when I've finished it and 'Not dead enough'.
Keep em coming Peter :)

5.0 out of 5 stars First class crime thriller!, 2 Jun 2005
This review is from: Dead Simple (Hardcover)
Peter James' latest novel, which introduces us to his latest character - Detective Superintendent Roy Grace, is a twist-laden feast for any fan of crime novels. Excellently written and superbly researched, it will have you hooked from start to finish.
It has everything you look for in a good old fashioned thriller - interesting characters you care about, original plot, unexpected twists, great pacing & plenty of nail biting set pieces. I couldn't wait to finish this book, and was delightfully satisfied when I did. Definitely recommended!

3.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable read, 4 Feb 2007
Hugh Sutherland "hughs1206" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dead Simple (Paperback)
I have never read a Peter James book before and found myself enjoying it with the result that this won't be the last one i pick up.

It's pretty safe territory and doesn't push any boundaries but the characters were strong and believable and the lead protagonist, likeable. The story is interesting and although i wondered how James was going to sustain it throughout, i found myself going along for the ride and enjoying the way the story unfolds.

The supernatural or occult beliefs of the lead character seems a strange choice by the author but it fits in and wasn't a strong enough element to really raise any questions of it's validity or use in the book.

A good book to begin the series, it'll be interesting to see how this character progresses.

Dead Simple (Roy Grace)
Dead Simple (Roy Grace) by Peter James (Paperback - 5 Jun 2014)