5.0 out of 5 stars A PAGE TURNER FOR SURE!!!!
Published 6 months ago by Abigail A. Fender

3.0 out of 5 stars TAKING HOLLYWOOD
Growing up in Glasgow Mirren, Davie and Zander are childhood buddies who stick together through thick and thin. However when a tragedy strikes their lives change forever, and the burden they carry proves to be too hard for them to continue their friendship.
Now twenty years later and living in Hollywood each of them is successful in their own right, although not...
Published 6 months ago by Amanda

5.0 out of 5 stars A PAGE TURNER FOR SURE!!!!, 24 Aug. 2014
Abigail A. Fender "Texascutetoot" (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Taking Hollywood (Kindle Edition)
Just loved it! Could not stop reading! It is clever, salacious, and the perfect book for those of you wanting the REAL inside Hollywood story, as Ross King is definitely on the "inside" as far as Hollywood goes! The book is written as a novel, but as an insider myself, I am staying on Ross' Good Side! That is all I will say....page turner I highly recommend! Thanks so much Ross for not telling too much and changing the names to protect the guilty!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Shimmering tale of contemporary Hollywood, 17 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Taking Hollywood (Paperback)
This riveting tale of contemporary Hollywood shimmers with superlative storytelling, shot through with fascinating - and sometimes disturbing - insider knowledge. I loved how it ranged from Glasgow to Los Angeles, glitzy to gritty. Shari Low is a fabulous writer who moves fluidly between comedy, pathos and reportage. I'd love to see this first-class story translated to the big screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 14 Aug. 2014
BookAddictShaun (England, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Taking Hollywood (Kindle Edition)
I've wanted to read this book ever since I saw the cover a few months ago so I was very excited to receive a review copy. My favourite author is Jackie Collins and if you removed the author's name from the front of this book you would instantly think it was a Collins novel from the fantastic cover. The book has also been endorsed by Jackie herself so I was even more excited to read it. I went into it with very high expectations and I'm glad to say it did not disappoint.

The book encompasses everything I look for in a book like this. Mystery: our three main characters Zander Leith, Mirren McLean and Davie Johnston each share a secret. A secret that at first bound them together but ultimately drew them apart. Scandal: each of our main characters experiences their own scandal which sees the start of their lives falling apart around them in dramatic fashion. Straightaway as a reader I was desperate to know what the secret was. We learn more about our three characters by going back in time to when they first met in Scotland until we eventually learn their secret. It's jaw dropping... Meanwhile in Scotland an ambitious young journalist is on the hunt for the story that will make her career. She arrives in LA determined to uncover the trios secret. I loved that we got to see LA through the eyes of somebody who wasn't a part of that world and wondered how long it would take before she got sucked in to it too.

Of course our three main characters have friends, family, children, managers, lovers, enemies and all are brought together to make one hell of an eventful story. Books like these are so action packed that it's impossible to discuss the plot, all I can say is that it's good. Really good. There's so many plot twists and shocking developments your brain may struggle to keep up but it's such an enjoyable read. Jackie Collins says she writes about real people and has to tone her stories down or they would just be too unbelievable. Is that the case here? Ross King must certainly have his fair share of secrets stored in his head. We know he doesn't dish the dirt on his friends but that's not to say he hasn't picked up a juicy tidbit or two along the way and you do have to wonder about certain characters and storylines...

Los Angeles is a city full of fake people looking out for themselves and nobody else and yet it has always been fascinating to outsiders. Some people will seemingly do anything to be a part of that world, but once you are in it is incredibly easy to fall in with the wrong crowd, get caught up in it all and ultimately have your life destroyed and not only that have it splashed all over the media for your so called friends and enemies to take some perverse pleasure out of as our three characters learn in this book. You can't trust anybody in LA and that's definitely the case here.

There's a whole lot of name dropping and place dropping but to be honest I read these books for the glamour, the bitchiness, the over the top storylines and the outrageous situations the characters find themselves in. We get all of those things here and then some. The best word to describe this book is addictive. Addictive and almost impossible to put down. The writing is fantastic, very bitchy in places with some fabulously cutting remarks and one liners. I have no hesitation in recommending this book. It will keep you guessing right the way up to the book's fantastic finale. It is the perfect Summer read featuring a story you will not want to end. I would love to see more from this writing duo in the future and given that Ross says this is the first in a trilogy I think we will!(less)

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this story, 17 Sept. 2014
Rosina B. Hill (PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Taking Hollywood (Paperback)
I loved this story! It grabbed me from the beginning, where the author set the scenes where Mirren, Zander and Davie get together to become firm friends in the seedy part of Glasgow where they grew up. It kept my interest all the way through their tragedies and triumphs until the surprise ending. Shari Low is one of my favourite authors, and this collaboration with Ross King is one of her best!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Saucy, spicey and fun!, 25 Sept. 2014
Emma V. (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Taking Hollywood (Paperback)
Been waiting for this as have enjoyed all of Shari Low's other books. At last it arrived in Tokyo and 48 hours later I have come up for air! The characters are realistic and insightful - this is an interesting twist on the 'rags to riches' story that Hollywood loves, but I liked the idea that we learn that all is not as it seems. Seemingly perfect lives are in disarray and I found myself trying to work out the ending.....I guessed some and was completely surprised at the rest. Def room for another book which I hope is on the cards. As this was co-authored by Mr King who lives in Hollywood, I imagine that there is more fact and less fantasy than in other novels with this theme and that appeals. Thoroughly enjoyable book with more than a touch of realism......thank you Shari King!

5.0 out of 5 stars A tantalising twist on traditional Hollywood :-), 13 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Taking Hollywood (Kindle Edition)
A truly fantastic read from beginning to end. The end of each chapter will leave you screaming for more until you have had your fix of the three main characters, Zander, Davie & Mirren. The novel takes you on a whirlwind tour of the real life, behind the scenes action of tinsel town, the part that is kept out of the celebrity spotlight. With the writing genius of Shari Low & the expert knowledge of the celeb scene by Ross King, Taking Hollywood became what it is. A thrilling read that keeps you guessing until the end, I can't wait to see more from this amazing duo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - Couldn't Put It Down, 14 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Taking Hollywood (Paperback)
If you like a good Jackie Collins, escaping from the everyday slog, you will love this book. Once I started reading Taking Hollywood I couldn't put it down. From Glasgow to LA, who wouldn't want that? This book has everything, Great characters, romance and a mystery that runs right through the book. Would love to find out what happens to the characters from Taking Hollywood and can't wait for a second book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Talking Hollywood, 15 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Taking Hollywood (Kindle Edition)
Loved this book when I brought it I didn't expect much as its not my usual type I'm more inclined to go for thrillers and murder mysteries but enjoyed the Glasgow background and the name dropping of the stars didn't actually realise Ross King was co author till end always enjoy his slots on the Lorraine Kelly show

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book, 27 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Taking Hollywood (Paperback)
A great story, brilliantly told. I read it on holiday and loved it. Great, fun insight into Hollywood, strong characters that leap off the page an inevitably onto a film screen soon - and a really good mystery/crime plot woven throughout.

Highly recommended.

Ian, Thame

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book!, 29 Sept. 2014
A. Deighan - See all my reviews
This review is from: Taking Hollywood (Paperback)
A fantastic novel by Shari Low & Ross King. Based in Glasgow and Hollywood just like the authors, it was intriguing and gritty but also had glamour and mystery. Read it on holiday over 2 days and couldn't put it down! Cant wait for the next one guys... Keep up the excellent work!

Taking Hollywood
Taking Hollywood by Shari King (Paperback - 14 Aug. 2014)